Meeting John Williams

5 hours ago, Smeltington said:

At Tanglewood, after the show is probably the least likely. So if you're planning to try, I would do it sometime earlier in the evening.

Again; I'll use my own (succesful) experience as a blueprint here: I would say it is HIGHLY likely that Williams won't conduct the full program. If he's in the audience, during an intermission would be the best chance to get something signed and/or shake his hand. I politely asked a Tanglewood representative if I could approach him. He said: 'Of course you can..!', but at that moment I was the only one. I get the feeling many of the people in attendance have seen Williams many times. They are residents of Albany and the surrounding townships and they see Williams more as a neighbour, a familiar face, than as an 'almighty film music God'. I feel Williams is very much at ease at Tanglewood, its surroundings and 'its' people. It will all depend on if your approach doesn't damage that peaceful and solemn atmosphere. Good luck..!

People who crowd at entry points to yell and shove memorabilia in celebrity's faces are kinda dickish.

On May 11, 2016 at 9:41 AM, JoeinAR said:

I have never had the desire to meet my idol. 

I would be content to just see him conduct in person.

You are from a classier time. Or place!

I had a nightmare about meeting Williams tonight...

I was attending a JW concert. As I entered the concert hall, the orchestra was already playing, and everybody was in their seats, so I had to discreetly search for a spare seat somewhere. I slowly walked down the aisle, and I spotted John Williams sitting to the left. But that's not all...HOLY SH*T!!! There was a free seat right next to him! So, unable to contain my excitement, I ran straight towards Williams and sat down in the empty seat, unable to believe my luck.

But as soon as I sat down, a man sitting on my opposite side to Williams turned to me with a disgusted look on his face and hissed: "This seat is RESERVED!!!" I turned towards Williams, and he didn't even notice me! He was looking straight at the stage, totally ignoring what was happening next to him.

So I got up, apologized to the man, and left the concert.

I think this basically sums up why I'm a little apprehensive about meeting someone like Williams. It would be awesome, but I know that however serious and well-intentioned I try to present myself, excitement will get the better of me and I will end up looking like an idiot. :(

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2016 at 9:51 AM, SzPeti42 said:

Hi! I can share my experience of meeting the maestro, I don’t know if it will help you or not, but I hope it will :) I went from Hungary to Texas just for the concert, and still can’t really believe it today. I had my aunt in the orchestra, but the organizers were strict about not letting anyone near him, so I had no real hope. But my aunt had her Hungarian virtue shine through and simply went to his room, the organizers weren’t gonna let her in, but Williams said to them that he doesn’t mind, so she told him my story and asked him directly, and he himself was the one who let me come backstage after the practice, and when I met him, he even called me by my name like “Ah, you must be Peter from Hungary” and he seemed genuinely humbled that someone came from that far just to see him. It was one of the best experiences of my life, so if you have even a remote chance to meet him, take it! As you can see, sometimes all that it takes is one question. I don’t know Tanglewood per se, and the protocols there, but I’m rooting for you :)

For Fort Worth, after the last practice, when the organizers wanted him to leave, he stayed and started to sign a bit more (there was a complete line of people hoping for it). Even after the main concert, he stayed and almost every musician queued to have a photo with him or an autograph.

24931_115493521807996_4234242_n.jpg

That's such a cool story! It must have taken you a while to get over that, ha. So I assume he was just as humble as we all think and read he is?

I know what you mean as far as if there's a chance to take it. I have done so with a composer named Yanni (Haven't met him, but have met almost all of his orchestra members) and Peter Frampton.For Yanni's orchestra, I just saw one of the members and figured I'd go up and talk to one. She was very nice and then saw some of the other members. I had no idea that the next year she'd invite me to the bus and have me sign a CD for her. This all started by just one of those "take a chance" things as you said. Same thing for Peter Frampton. I was looking around to find where he'd be coming out at and there were a lot of "decoys." But I found the right one and he and his bassist came out and shook hands and signed a few autographs. These were quite an experience. I've listened to Yanni since I was about 2 years old, Peter Frampton since about 7, and I just couldn't imagine meeting John Williams.
But anyway, I just figured I'd write those couple of experiences down to confirm what you said about taking the chance. You are so right on that. August 13th is still a bit a way, but it's coming pretty quick. We'll have to see what happens!

I often meet John Williams (in a dream) and often I'am so often surprised to find him. At times he is a guest with my relatives or s such. And I am very polite not to overwhelm him with my collection or signing requests taking time for him to settle down and somehow he is always elusive and till the end and I can barely can get any stuff signed by him. In reality, I already have a  signed dedication from him (shared in a different posts) and 2 additional autographs (All courtesy his agent) Ah it would have been great to meet him when I was in LA 4 years ago.

18 hours ago, Dane Bryant Frazier said:

That's such a cool story! It must have taken you a while to get over that, ha. So I assume he was just as humble as we all think and read he is?

I know what you mean as far as if there's a chance to take it. I have done so with a composer named Yanni (Haven't met him, but have met almost all of his orchestra members) and Peter Frampton.For Yanni's orchestra, I just saw one of the members and figured I'd go up and talk to one. She was very nice and then saw some of the other members. I had no idea that the next year she'd invite me to the bus and have me sign a CD for her. This all started by just one of those "take a chance" things as you said. Same thing for Peter Frampton. I was looking around to find where he'd be coming out at and there were a lot of "decoys." But I found the right one and he and his bassist came out and shook hands and signed a few autographs. These were quite an experience. I've listened to Yanni since I was about 2 years old, Peter Frampton since about 7, and I just couldn't imagine meeting John Williams.
But anyway, I just figured I'd write those couple of experiences down to confirm what you said about taking the chance. You are so right on that. August 13th is still a bit a way, but it's coming pretty quick. We'll have to see what happens!

Ha, it’s been 6 years and I’m still not over it :D

In my experience he was. I’m still finding hard to believe he personally let me in to meet him and addressed me by my name. You brought up great examples, you clearly know what I mean then :)

The real telling thing with him was that after the concert, he seemed so completely exhausted (he was 78 at the time I think), he had to sit down, he could’ve easily just bolted to his hotel right after, but he stayed quite a bit and was ever so kind to have a few words with the musicians one by one.

He seemed particularly impressed by Michael Shih, the concertmaster and his performance of the main theme of Schindler’s list, he praised him every chance he got, and also the orchestra in general. He was calm, collected, and professional during the practices, my aunt said that she loved the way he conducted, loved how he communicated himself and his music on the podium.

If you have any questions regarding my experiences, feel free to ask, it’s a joy re-living it every time I write about it :D

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 3:36 PM, WojinPA said:

Wow... Someone else who really likes Yanni, John Williams, and Peter Frampton! 

I want Frampton to show me the way. As for Yanni; I've never heard a single note of his music.

On 6/6/2016 at 9:22 PM, SzPeti42 said:

Ha, it’s been 6 years and I’m still not over it :D

In my experience he was. I’m still finding hard to believe he personally let me in to meet him and addressed me by my name. You brought up great examples, you clearly know what I mean then :)

The real telling thing with him was that after the concert, he seemed so completely exhausted (he was 78 at the time I think), he had to sit down, he could’ve easily just bolted to his hotel right after, but he stayed quite a bit and was ever so kind to have a few words with the musicians one by one.

He seemed particularly impressed by Michael Shih, the concertmaster and his performance of the main theme of Schindler’s list, he praised him every chance he got, and also the orchestra in general. He was calm, collected, and professional during the practices, my aunt said that she loved the way he conducted, loved how he communicated himself and his music on the podium.

If you have any questions regarding my experiences, feel free to ask, it’s a joy re-living it every time I write about it :D

Ha I'm sure it's not something you exactly get over. :P

Pretty awesome to hear all of this stuff. That's really nice of him to do that for you, especially considering he could have just gone to the hotel after like you said.

And yeah man, I'm sure there's more I'd like to know and will for sure ask you when I think of them. I can think of one at the moment though: Did he speak a lot during the concert?

On 6/14/2016 at 11:54 AM, WojinPA said:

Enjoy! 

Ah man cmon!! -_-  But in regards to your other post, that's pretty funny you like those three two considering they are all totally different from each other.

I didn't remember the context of that Yanni clip. Back in 2009, Yanni had a concert in Pittsburgh's hockey arena that he refused to reschedule for the hockey playoffs, forcing the Penguins and Capitals to play two games on back to back nights, which is unconventional in hockey playoffs. But Pittsburgh eliminated Washington en route to Cup #3 so it was okay in my book. 

20 hours ago, Dane Bryant Frazier said:

And yeah man, I'm sure there's more I'd like to know and will for sure ask you when I think of them. I can think of one at the moment though: Did he speak a lot during the concert?

Yes, he shared his usual anecdotes, like the famous (or more like infamous at this point :D ) Spielberg-Schindler’s List one, he spoke about the orchestra a lot, and they’ve played one really interesting piece, Indy’s First Adventure from The Last Crusade first without the music with his commentary and then live in sync. He has played that piece in other concert if I’m not mistaken, that was my favourite. It’s always nice to hear him talk about his music and his techniques, and to listen to it live, that isn’t something you experience every day :D

And he spoke about Van Cliburn of course, the famous pianist, he was there too, it was an honour in itself to meet him and Williams on the same day. He died in 2012 unfortunately, may he rest in peace. Interesting fact about him that his mother studied under Arthur Friedheim, who studied under Liszt Ferenc, who is the namesake of Hungary’s only international airport, so he was kind of a big deal for us :)