if TFA soundtrack album was formatted like other star wars soundtracks, what do you think the track listing would be?

JacksonElmore

44 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What if it's a score for which you have not even seen the film yet?

What about it?

Usually, that's a great advantage.

If I have not seen the film, then completeness is nice but not necessary, while film sequence is completely and utterly irrelevant*. It's just music.

* As long as the album doesn't do something stupid like placing the end credits in the middle of the album. End credits often carry a feeling of finality and indicate it's time to change discs. Not, "oh look more music we're not done." 

I just don't get all the hate for The Phantom Menace and Star Wars original trilogy OSTs. They're awesome! There's a time and place for the complete score, Anthology versions, expanded edits with music from the video games, OSTs and concert suites. I agree with the criticism of Revenge of the Sith's OST to an extent because it doesn't really reflect the score that well and it's just a bizarre listening experience for whatever reason. But the rest are all great listening experiences.

Cutting and re-arranging scores for soundtracks is to music what pan & scan was to image. Even the philosophy behind it is the same. They need to take a score, select the "important" bits and make it fit within the single disc format. With image, they selected the "important" parts of the frame to make it fit within the 4:3 format.

You can call OST releases artistically valid all you want but you're basically taking a work of art and chopping the sides off because you don't like the black bars.

In some cases, merging music from different parts in the film can fit quite well together.

And it can definitely improve the listening experience by not having too many nondescript short tracks, but having them fit together in some way.

And cutting out some boring bits is not so bad either.

Unfortunately, more often than not, the reordering seems quite pointless and sometimes even breaks any thematic development that was part of the film structure.

And the pieces cut out can be the best bits instead of the boring ones.

What is included and excluded can also be quite bizarre, with boring stuff on the album and amazing stuff left off.

I've always been curious about the reasoning behind specific album assemblies.

Why do it one way and not another? Why include some tracks and not the others?

The Force Awakens is one album that I do think it's quite well assembled.

Almost chronological and what has been reordered tends to be an improvement.

I would have traded "Snoke" for "The Resistance Arrives" though.

Maybe that wasn't done because that track, while awesome, is similar to content already on the album.

"Snoke" is quite different (in a rather boring way).

2 hours ago, alan1984 said:

Cutting and re-arranging scores for soundtracks is to music what pan & scan was to image. Even the philosophy behind it is the same. They need to take a score, select the "important" bits and make it fit within the single disc format. With image, they selected the "important" parts of the frame to make it fit within the 4:3 format.

You can call OST releases artistically valid all you want but you're basically taking a work of art and chopping the sides off because you don't like the black bars.

I think the exact opposite. Re-arranging is giving the music its due in a completely different medium, much like you need to make some changes when you're adapting a book to film. NOT adapting is missing one crucial step. For me, a C&C release is basically like you'd adapt a book to film by having a single-shot camera on a man who reads a book cover to cover. Could be an intriguing art installation, perhaps, but hardly a film.

I definitely agree that straight recording sessions, and by extension C&C presentations,  don't generally make for the best listening experience.

But like with a book to film adaption, some changes can be good, some are not and some might be completely pointless.

And of course completely reordering a book is out of the question.

On 5/28/2016 at 11:17 PM, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

I just don't get all the hate for The Phantom Menace and Star Wars original trilogy OSTs. They're awesome! There's a time and place for the complete score, Anthology versions, expanded edits with music from the video games, OSTs and concert suites. I agree with the criticism of Revenge of the Sith's OST to an extent because it doesn't really reflect the score that well and it's just a bizarre listening experience for whatever reason. But the rest are all great listening experiences.

i agree. i love the original releases