How Many of You Can Read Music?

Will

Can You Read Music?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Can you read music?

9 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

It's like learning to read a language without physically speaking it. You can do it, but it'd probably take far longer without the extra reinforcement that the physical activity contributes.

This. Like any language, the more you use it (ex. Playing an instrument or writing music), the more it comes to you.

I hadn't thought about singing as a way to substitute to some degree for an instrument.

It wouldn't actually be THAT hard for me to learn basic piano skills, since my sister plays so there's one in the house.

But I have no delusions about it being a daunting additional workload, if I also want to understand theory.

The other concern, which, yes, sounds rather lame, is that if I play piano or sing, unless I only do it when my family isn't around (not often), I'd have to declare my intentions to learn more about music. And then it would be rather embarrassing to back out later if I wanted to.

Struggling around on the piano with less-than-great technique would also probably cause my music-loving dad to just about explode. :lol:

He might even try to get me actual lessons, which sounds good on the surface but would ultimately result in an obligation to practice a ton, etc., indefinitely; otherwise he'd be immensely disappointed in spending a bunch on lessons! There'd be no backing out.

(Then again, I do have a couple cousins who I think used to take lessons but never practiced, and they still can sort of play; so maybe it'd be possible to avoid making too major a commitment; maybe even self-teaching would work out)

It sounds like you're projecting a lot of possible scenarios instead of focusing on what it is you want to achieve. What is your ultimate goal? To read music fluently? Or to play an instrument well? And what are your smaller goals underneath those? Maybe it's to memorise all the key signatures, or to be able to identify a note on a staff in under 5 seconds. Try to approach your education in terms of individual goals and achievements. Otherwise you'll get overwhelmed or guilty and you'll never get anywhere. I can't design a lesson plan for you, but that is what lessons are good for. It's not just the false promise of commitment, it's giving you the right tools to set and achieve those goals for yourself.