The Hobbit: Four Movements for Symphony Orchestra by Howard Shore

Bilbo

On 20/10/2016 at 9:06 PM, SafeUnderHill said:

Is that Spanish performance going to be released?

Yes, the full concert was recorded by the Spanish Public TV ( TVE) and will be aired probably in summer 2017 and available on the webpage of the channel.

LOTR was orchestrated by Shore though, so there was not as much to do in that sense.

And who says the spanish performance will be the same as the Philly one?

7 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

See, that's another thing I don't understand: why is it exciting to know a composer cares (or not) about one of his scores? Doesn't change my appreciation of said score.

Well I would be happy, because it would mean KK was at least partially wrong.

I would rather bash Smecky Studios, the CoP sounds fine on Quo Vadis/El Cid performance wise, its the recording that bothers me.

To add on to the above comments, doing a 20min reduction of existing material isn't really any affirmation that Shore is particularly fond of these films/scores. Like BB said, they could easily be LOTR Stmphony style, in-verbatim renditions of OST material, cut and pasted together because of commercial demand. That doesn't say much about Shore's actual feelings towards the Hobbit films.

Just now, Stefancos said:

I don't love The Hobbit scores!

Not even a little? ;)

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I do a little, how can you not. But not on the level of the LOTR scores.

Yes that's a tough level of excellence to reach for certain but they are none the less fine film scores in their own right. BB makes it sound like they were an absolute unmitigated disaster.

Agreed! They are very fine scores, all three of them. But they aren't in the same ballpark as the LOTR ones, and they aren't anywhere close to being classic scores.

If they are among the best written in the last few years, it's because film music sucks now!

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King!

The LOTR scores are more than the sum of their parts. The Hobbit scores a bit less.