The Hobbit: Four Movements for Symphony Orchestra by Howard Shore

Bilbo

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

So how about that The Hobbit: Four Movements for Symphony Orchestra?

Oh that's old news, no one cares about that anymore.

Until someome reports from the concert that is. It is drawing nigh.

My hope is that Shore has reworked his music for the concert setting rather than just done editing and stitched together existing pieces for this one.

Isn't that for rental only? At least the link is for Alfred Rental Library.

Do we have anyone from here attending? We need a report! Report!

Obviously they needed one of us there to give an accurate OCD second-by-second progressing musical commentary on the new suite. These general "I am living" and "There was some Hobbit music" comments just don't cut it!

Even just in that little clip, there are plenty of places where the performance could have faltered - mostly through weird phrasing as you'll often hear in concert renderings or rerecordings of film music.  But it sounds like this band really knows what's up!

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

Obviously they needed one of us there to give an accurate OCD second-by-second progressing musical commentary on the new suite. These general "I am living" and "There was some Hobbit music" comments just don't cut it!

Can't we just say that those stupid idiots who don't know what they are hearing are really annoying?

• 3 weeks later...

Cool bits! :)

Dain's theme seems somewhat leaden in its tread in Wicki's interpretation. The prominent slow snare rhythm is perhaps the reason.

Isn't that Dain statement from Ironfoot, with the bagpipe replaced with trumpet, and added snare drum? Sounds like a mix of Battle For The Mountain and Ironfoot.

I had hoped that Shore would remove the podium changes made by Pope, and touch it up a bit with his own, so I hope that is a good sign of things to come.

Though I hope a final recording of the Symphony will sound better performed than that. Sounds awkward in places, especially the horns.

5 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

The Dain statement in Ironfoot has snare drum, just mixed really low and playing a slightly different part. Sounds like both bagpipe and brass to me, and indeed different to Ironfoot.

I can't see why Pope would have made podium changes on the end credit suite though.

Doesn't have to be just podium changes, he orchestrated the whole score, no matter how detailed Shore's four stave sketches are.