The Hobbit: Four Movements for Symphony Orchestra by Howard Shore

Bilbo

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

No!

And will Shore ever conduct music from film 2 and 3?

Yes to both.

So, the Hobbit Symphony is called the Hobbit Symphony, but is not the Hobbit Symphony? I'm confused.

7 hours ago, gkgyver said:

So, the Hobbit Symphony is called the Hobbit Symphony, but is not the Hobbit Symphony? I'm confused.

This is not the Hobbit Symphony.  This is The Hobbit - Four Movements for Symphony Orchestra

14 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

Instrumentation gives significant clues regarding musical content. ;)

Looks like my clue was correct, more or less :)

Anyone knows if Howard completely gave up conducting live concerts of his own music?

22 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

LOTR was not quite the same.  The suite referred to above was the first two movements of the symphony (from FOTR) premiered at the RFH with the LPO conducted by Shore in February 2003.

For some reason, I take enormous pride in having been present at both that concert and the rehearsal the day before. First time I'd ever witnessed how a piano can be distressed. ;)

42 minutes ago, Kühni said:

For some reason, I take enormous pride in having been present at both that concert and the rehearsal the day before. First time I'd ever witnessed how a piano can be distressed. ;)

There were very strange goings on in the RFH that day.  The LOTR premiere was surrounded by whirling dervishes and a performance of Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen condensed to thirty minutes (complete with papier mache Fafnir).

8 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Anyone knows if Howard completely gave up conducting live concerts of his own music?

I don't think so, but he seems very happy with Ludwig Wicki's interpretations of his material.

This probably isn't the right thread for this, but since it's recent and contains related discussion, what the hell.

Someone on twitter asked Doug when his 'new book' was coming out, to which Doug responded:

Should have one or two out this fall. Then back to Middle-earth as soon as studio gives the nod.

I guess one of these won't be his Hobbit book (I imagine we'd have heard something by now), but given that Doug has seemingly had the green light for this project for some time, I'm wondering what he's waiting on the studio to give the green light on in order for him to return to Middle-earth. Is this a reference to the book or something different (like CR's)? I've no idea how these things work admittedly.

15 hours ago, Barnald said:

I guess one of these won't be his Hobbit book (I imagine we'd have heard something by now), but given that Doug has seemingly had the green light for this project for some time, I'm wondering what he's waiting on the studio to give the green light on in order for him to return to Middle-earth. Is this a reference to the book or something different (like CR's)? I've no idea how these things work admittedly.

This will all make sense in time.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Eliminating most instances of the History Of The Ring theme???

Only two or three.  It's not that heavily used.

Not lying, I could go for a complete score of all three Hobbits at once, together with the book.

Seems to have been a more straightforward process scoring 2 and 3 than AUJ and LotR, so that there aren't hours of alternates to go through.

Isn't Doug working on another book besides the Hobbit one? About the music of the silent films called Impossible Silence?

If we're supposing that his Hobbit book won't be out later this year - and it does seem unlikely - it would appear he's working on at least three books.

I want a FOTR CR that contains not only the complete score (intended version with no tracked music), but a bonus track section at the end with all theatrical versions and alternates.  You know, like the specialty labels do to every other score they expand.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I want a FOTR CR that contains not only the complete score (intended version with no tracked music), but a bonus track section at the end with all theatrical versions and alternates.  You know, like the specialty labels do to every other score they expand.

This isn't Howard Shore's preference when it comes to presentation.  Even if the CRs were to be revisited, additional and alternate material would in all likelihood be presented separately (somehow).

I prefer that as well, honestly.

The CRs plus rarities were the ideal choice. FotR and the rarities just weren't all they could have been.

10 hours ago, gkgyver said:

I prefer that as well, honestly.

The CRs plus rarities were the ideal choice. FotR and the rarities just weren't all they could have been.

What else do you feel could have been done with the rarities, out of interest?

I wager gkgyver wishes there could have been more of them.

That is how most of the LotR music fans feel.

Since when did you become such a grumpy ass? Is being beyond 30 finally catching up?

Anyway, the rarities were originally planned as kind of a DVD archive, to go through the mockups and alternates of the three films, plus a way longer talk with Shore.

More music, more alternates, more Shore. Not hard.

Not even the lord himself can convince me just the handful of alternates that made it are worth listening to for all three films!

Was it ever revealed why the longer 'Seduction of the Ring' at Amon Hen wasn't featured on the Rarities? Was it deemed not significant enough? I suppose that would make sense, but I'm interested to know of course incase there was a mind to possibly revisit the FOTR: CR someday.

Maybe Shore doesn't like it?  It's brilliant and should have been on the Rarities disc.

Most live to projection concerts feature the same musical edits that the final films do.  It's rare to get unused music restored in these concerts.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Most live to projection concerts feature the same musical edits that the final films do.  It's rare to get unused music restored in these concerts.

They restored some for Raiders!  I look forward to hearing Goat Bait and Hungry Raptor later this year. ;)

1 hour ago, Jim Ware said:

It's difficult to comment on specific examples but in all likelihood it was just too short, as were a number of other things.  Since it's technically dialled out in the film it could theoretically be included in the main programme of a reworked FOTR CR.

Or it could have been in the original release if it was so insignificantly short and the CR not a mastered iso score.