The Hobbit: Four Movements for Symphony Orchestra by Howard Shore

Bilbo

31 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, of course, and I'm fine with you considering them some of the best modern (the word is important here) film music there is adn there's some great writing in there.

If I have to be honest, I somehow exaggerate my stance on the Hobbit scores, because I want it to be a wake-up call for some people around here (no, not you Barny!) who seem to think the Hobbit scores are the be-all and end-all of film music, basically the best the genre has to offer, when there's so much more out there.

But clearly, it's not working so I'll just stop. Or try to, at least...

I figured. You took on the role of being the anti-SUH. Someone had to step up! :P 

I really need to get around to listening to the BOTFA score, which I haven't even opened. I've only heard it in the film. I'm just not big on non-stop action cues as a pure listening experience, which I suspect the soundtrack is.

17 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Yes. This subforum needs a publicist-like figure (I miss him, by the way :() and I took it upon myself to be that one, even if that means being hated by most here and considered a dickhead for what I say.

I respect you for it. It's refreshing amidst the blind fanboy-ism that made me sick of this subforum in the first place.

And has pub disappeared? I've been so infrequent with my visits here, I didn't notice :o

8 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The second disc definitely is. And the way Shore decided to combine some cues is rather odd. A lot of jumping from one idea to the next without any real flow. The first disc is well balanced, though. And the post-battle cues on disc 2 offer some of the best music from the trilogy.

It's a bit of a mess. Shore meets the demands of the film, and there are some really col ideas in there. But at some point, you can tell his heart may not have quite been in it. Still entertaining enough.

Ravenhill and To the Death are ten times better than the soulless ostinato filled blandness of the action finale of Smaug.

7 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I really need to get around to listening to the BOTFA score, which I haven't even opened. I've only heard it in the film. I'm just not big on non-stop action cues as a pure listening experience, which I suspect the soundtrack is.

While there is a lot of action I was a bit surprised there was so much of relatively quieter build-up music and scoring for the more emotional beats sprinkled in the middle of the heavier bludgeoning action scoring.

And let me warn you in advance that the mixing is just awfully bass-heavy on the BotFA soundtrack. It tends to put me off listening to the discs very often although there is quite a bit of excellent music in the score.

It's an awful and misguided mix which does its best to all but ruin the experience!

Sauron went to Wellington in the guise of Pope. Fair looking and fair speaking. And as orchestrator of the King, Peter Jackson VI slowly began to poison the minds of those on this hallowed island. And the hearts of the people grew cold and started to turn away from Shore. Who many now claimed had not even existed!

And so Shore withdrew from the world of the Hobbit and the world was made round, PJ and his false armada of orchestrators drowned in a cataclysm of 10 Shore fans at JWfan complaining bitterly and all the roads to the blessed realm of Tuxedo, New York were lost to the race of Men. Now only ships built by Doug the Bookwright have the power to pass beyond the narrow confines of this world via the The Straight Road and pass to the shores of Shore where he, the One, still writes musics unheard by the ears of fanboys. Or so the songs tell us.

Lament of the JWFans (dedicated to BloodBoal)

Where now our Shore, the composer? Where are the scores that were flowing?
Where are the great themes and motifs and the brass section blowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the string section bowing?
Where are the oboes and bassoons and the clarinets glowing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead scores burning,
Or behold the complete recordings from the Hobbit up turning?

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 17/09/2017 at 0:07 AM, SafeUnderHill said:

It is being performed again!

Wasn't the performance in Spain from last year supposed to broadcast this summer? At least I think someone mentioned that.

I Will attend this performance :) I had the chance to buy a realy good seat! I llook forward to this.

In addition I Will attend this Event as Well  (price is really cheap at only 6.5€) http://www.cinematheque.fr/intervention/1374.html

October is the Howard Shore month!

We expect an analysis and full report on the structure of the piece and its minute differences compared to the film score material!

16 minutes ago, Incanus said:

We expect an analysis and full report on the structure of the piece and its minute differences compared to the film score material!

Well, I better go listen to that score then because I'm not this familiar with it :P

23 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Just bring a digital recoder and you're fine.

Taking pictures or recording any footage is forbiden. It's written in bold character on the ticket. It was not the case for Harry potter 1 LTP nor is it for James newton Howard concert. So, if it is specified this time, I think they will be particularly watchful about that.

But anyway, I never take videos as I'd rather fully enjoy a concert. Sometimes I take pictures but again, not during the performance, rather at the end of a piece.

PS : By the way, do not expect a great review from me as I do not have particular knowledge in music theory. I'm just a film music fan ;);)

All you have to do if you go to a concert and want to listen to it again later is install an audio recording app on your phone, begin recording just before the concert starts, put your phone face down on the floor, enjoy the concert without thinking about it, turn the recording off when its over.