Alan Silvestri's THE AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (2018)

Muad'Dib

So Silvestri simply wasn't asked to do Age of Ultron. Interesting.

Hope the scope of those two will let him to be slightly more flamboyant. I like the first Avengers score but it's bit stilted and conservative. Which is, of course, a reason why it held together the film so well.

Karol

43 minutes ago, crocodile said:

So Silvestri simply wasn't asked to do Age of Ultron. Interesting.

It was that short period of a year, maybe a year-and-a-half, where Kevin Feige was all-in on Brian Tyler being the house composer for Marvel.  Thankfully, he came to his senses.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

It was that short period of a year, maybe a year-and-a-half, where Kevin Feige was all-in on Brian Tyler being the house composer for Marvel.  Thankfully, he came to his senses.

Did Elfman replace him on AOU or did Tyler have legitimate scheduling conflicts? 

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Did Elfman replace him on AOU or did Tyler have legitimate scheduling conflicts? 

My understanding is that no one really knows still, unless there's an interview I'm not aware of.  Elfman has shown in the past a willingness to discuss past projects with brutal honesty, so maybe he'll spill the beans one day.

But the fact that Ultron is still Tyler's last project with Marvel seems pretty telling.

Tyler was never officially replaced, as Elfman was brought in to "help out" with the score.

There's a rumor going around that Tyler worked on the last Fast and Furious movie while he should have been working for Marvel. No idea if thats true. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

No, they were working on it at the same time. And, as far as I know, they were recording at the same time in London and had to coordinate their efforts so that one cue flows into another. I still don't know what happened with the Silvestri material. The film mix is so atrocious that it might have been either re-recorded or tracked in material. Who knows...

Tyler had some recording sessions taking place in Janurary. And the "official" explanation said that the film was ever-changing and they decided the approach they took doesn't always suit it. Throw in some rumours about Furious 7 sessions conflicts and you have a pretty coherent story.

Karol

But what's missing from the "coherent story" is that not only have they not hired Tyler again, after very publicly using the phrase "house composer," but they've now also removed his fanfare.  It's pretty clear it was more than just scheduling, even if that's part of the story.

Maybe it was a scheduling conflict in a sense that he expected to finish Age of Ultron in January and moved on to another project for a bit. And the resulting fact they had to pay another composer to help out. From the perspective of Marvel Tyler was a liability.

Karol

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

after very publicly using the phrase "house composer,"

What?  Did anyone at Marvel actually say that?  I thought that was just forum posters who used that phrase.

• 6 months later...

He has already begun writing the music for the next “Avengers” movie, “Infinity War,” which he is slated to record in January 2018. He said he has already seen footage of the next installment and “it’s everything we could have hoped for.”

Alan Silvestri Receives Icon Honor at BMI Film, TV and Visual Awards

How cool would it be if Silvestri incorporated Elfman's development of his original theme into the score?  I mean, he probably won't but it would be awesome and kind of unprecedented for a big film series I think?

• 10 months later...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ready-player-one-what-is-james-hallidays-motivation-1098908

While Ready Player One is still going strong in theaters, Silvestri is just weeks away from releasing his next big film.

“It’s funny because I feel like everything is still shaking… the dust hasn’t quite settled just yet," he said last week by phone. "I wrapped Infinity War yesterday, and it was a really different experience than anything I’d done before, especially in regard to the approach and balancing quick shifts in tone."

7 hours ago, James said:

After half a dozen composers wrote a note for Spider Man, I think it's fair Silvestri to have his chance.

A dozen actually: Elfman, Lurie, Debney, Young, Horner, Zimmer... and the Magnificent Six! ;)

Karol

Oh, great!  I wonder why it is not on Amazon US?

Maybe Intrada will handle the CD release in the US.

I know, that's one of Disney's record labels.

It could still be Intrada in the US.  We just don't know yet.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh, great!  I wonder why it is not on Amazon US?

Maybe Intrada will handle the CD release in the US.

It was bit then it disappeared.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/04/2018 at 4:22 AM, crocodile said:

A dozen actually: Elfman, Lurie, Debney, Young, Horner, Zimmer... and the Magnificent Six! ;)

Karol

I did not remember this monstrosity called "Magnificent Six". Do you say Lurie as an additional composer?

On 11/15/2016 at 11:50 AM, Disco Stu said:

But what's missing from the "coherent story" is that not only have they not hired Tyler again, after very publicly using the phrase "house composer," but they've now also removed his fanfare.  It's pretty clear it was more than just scheduling, even if that's part of the story.

They removed his fanfare??