Alan Silvestri's THE AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (2018)

Muad'Dib

https://www.16personalities.com/

Here's a quick internet test you can take, for me it was a revelation to finally rationalize and understand my quirks, but it can also be some goofy fun like those mental age tests.

That one that was posted as a thread leader said I was 57. Some others said 40, 35 or 28. I'm 21 and I know I can be childish. Hmm. Does being aware that you can be childish make you more mature?

aaaanyway

compared the two CDs (thanks youtube)

and I found out that rather than getting tracks microedits, they instead just cut one segment from each track to shorten their length

Track by track it looks like these parts are gone  (few spoilers for the important bits)
Travel Delays (2:50-End)

A shame, since that covers the hulk fight and heimdalls scene

He Wont Come Out (2:27-End)

We Both Made Promises (2:20-End)

Covers the battle scene in scotland.

Help Arrives (4:20-End)
You Go Right (0:00-2:30)

The intro was nice, but they were otherwise right to trim this

Family Affairs (0:00-1:47)
What More Could I Lose? (0:00-1:35) (I dont think this bit was used in the movie anyway)
Haircut and Beard (1:40-2:27) (The edit here is particularly rough)
A Lot to Figure Out (1:00-2:05)

I Feel You (0:00-1:55)
What did it Cost? (2:20-End)

I do like these 2 tracks better in full, as they cover Thanos arriving at Wakanda and his scene with Gamora's soul

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

You know what? As much as I'd like to hear some of those references myself, we have to remember that one of the primary functions of film scores is to bind the narrative together. This film has got so many characters and story threads that overloading it with Easter eggs and other composer's material would have weakened the storytelling.  A singular mind behind the score helps to offset the apparent chaos of what's happening of screen. That is what a good film composer would be focused on more, I think. Plus if you're hiring Alan Silvestri you probably expect Alan Silvestri. Elfman tried to infuse his Justice League with a lot of stuff and create a score "for everyone". And look what happened there. 

Karol

I actually liked that every hero had their own theme / motif in Justice League. My biggest issue with that score, was that most of the new themes I didn't find to be especially memorable. 

In the case of Infinity War, while I can understand the lack of old themes, especially given the films overall tone, and the fact that Silvestri apparently doesn't seem to be much of a fan of using material that isn't his, I'm a person who prefers recurring themes. It just seems like a major missed musical opportunity to me, anyway. 

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

I actually liked that every hero had their own theme / motif in Justice League. My biggest issue with that score, was that most of the new themes I didn't find to be especially memorable. 

In the case of Infinity War, while I can understand the lack of old themes, especially given the films overall tone, and the fact that Silvestri apparently doesn't seem to be much of a fan of using material that isn't his, I'm a person who prefers recurring themes. It just seems like a major missed musical opportunity to me, anyway. 

Well, he did used some pre-exisiting material in Ready Player One this year, right?

Karol

45 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Well, he did used some pre-exisiting material in Ready Player One this year, right?

Karol

True. I think that had to do the source material, and the fact that a lot of the music he was quoting (King Kong, Godzilla etc...), is generally associated with those characters, much less so in the case of Infinity War. 

Not using all the character themes to avoid overloading is fine. But at the very least Silvestri could've created a very recognizable theme for Thanos. If I was the composer, that would've been my approach. Ultimately this film was about Thanos, so a prominent theme for him would've been appropriate. 

Silvestri has said in interviews that Thanos doesn't have a theme, but he wrote an overall mood and texture for him and his goons and his obsession with the stones. 

He also said that they discussed giving all the characters thematic nods, but decided it would be too chaotic with the constant changes in groups, scenes and tones.

I think a couple of moments would have sufficed. Such as Giacchino's Dr. Strange's theme when he 

Spoiler

Multiplies himself to fight Thanos.

Also Giacchino's Spider-man theme when he

Spoiler

Appears and saves Stark in the first fight with the goons in the city.

And of course at least one big nod to his own Cap theme, especially when Cap and Black Panther

Spoiler

Run ahead of the army together to fight the alien horde.

4 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Silvestri has said in interviews that Thanos doesn't have a theme, but he wrote an overall mood and texture for him and his goons and his obsession with the stones. 

He also said that they discussed giving all the characters thematic nods, but decided it would be too chaotic with the constant changes in groups, scenes and tones.

I think a couple of moments would have sufficed. Such as Giacchino's Dr. Strange's theme when he 

Hide contents

Multiplies himself to fight Thanos.

Also Giacchino's Spider-man theme when he

Hide contents

Appears and saves Stark in the first fight with the goons in the city.

And of course at least one big nod to his own Cap theme, especially when Cap and Black Panther

Hide contents

Run ahead of the army together to fight the alien horde.

Countless opportunities without sounding chaotic. One great mention of Strange, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Captain America would suffice. 

Just now, Disco Stu said:

The big Cap theme statement in "Help Arrives" doesn't count or something?

Well it isn't Cap's theme.

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

Well it isn't Cap's theme.

Karol

I know.  You caught me before I edited :) 

Was going off a memory of listening to the track last week.

22 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I know.  You caught me before I edited :) 

Was going off a memory of listening to the track last week.

Plus it Cap's theme wouldn't be appropriate for this film anyway because...

Spoiler

...he's not Captain America anymore. He gave up this identity in Civil War. I'm pretty sure they're saving up his theme for the next film when he gets his mighty shield back and makes up with Tony.

Karol

While that would be nice, I am not expecting it, I mean they call him Captain several times in the movie.

1 minute ago, Fal said:

While that would be nice, I am not expecting it, I mean they call him Captain several times in the movie.

Because he's a an actual captain, yeah. Captain Rogers. His superhero star-spangled persona doesn't exist at this stage.

Karol

Shouldn't it thrive then? I thought Donald Trump is a bit like an 1980's action movie macho.

Well, wannabe.

Karol

Even if it's not a thematic score, I really dig the overall sound this thing has. Once I stopped expecting theme after theme, I started to enjoy this much much more.

And I keep replaying the end credits suite over and over. Good stuff.

I agree that it's "sound" is the best thing about it. Especially the stuff associated with Thanos.

It's not enough to sustain the ridiculously long release this score had though. Second time this year Silvestri shoots himself in the foot with an overly long release.

I am not far from thinking that the action scenes are the best, most powerful ones since the return of The Mummy Returns.

The 3 actions cues "More Power" "Charge!" "Forge" are BLAST!

Ready Player One, and now that = wow!!

Loved Avengers Infinity War. Has to be up on my top MCU films and loved the score in the film!

Saw the movie yesterday: incredible. One of my favorite CBMovies, that being said: score is crap. Like expected from Silvestri, the guy is such a bore. The music is just...kinda there. Doesn’t detract from the movie (good or bad), but does nothing to elevate it. God I wish they would get rid of him for Avengers 4 and get JNH. Hell, I’ll even take Giacchino. 

1 hour ago, Lord Zimmer said:

Saw the movie yesterday: incredible. One of my favorite CBMovies, that being said: score is crap. Like expected from Silvestri, the guy is such a bore. The music is just...kinda there. Doesn’t detract from the movie (good or bad), but does nothing to elevate it. God I wish they would get rid of him for Avengers 4 and get JNH. Hell, I’ll even take Giacchino. 

You're obviously a man of poor musical tastes. Because I disagree with everything you just said.

13 minutes ago, Demondm810 said:

Does anyone know what Orchestra recorded this? 

It was recorded in London by studio musicians. Most likely meaning members of LSO, LPO etc.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

It was recorded in London by studio musicians. Most likely meaning members of LSO, LPO etc.

Karol

I was thinking he recorded with The Hollywood Symphony Orchestra like Ready Player One.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Obi said:

I was thinking he recorded with The Hollywood Symphony Orchestra like Ready Player One.

Thanks.

Nope.

Marvel Studios is not a signatory to the AFM, they'd rather record in London and not worry about back payments. Even though this film was shot primarily in Atlanta.