Alan Silvestri's THE AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (2018)

Muad'Dib

Let me tell you something... don't. Don't let them coerce you, don't let them transfer it to your Dropbox, don't let them do anything that takes you away from a decent score, because while you hear it... you can make a difference.

The score kind of disappointed me on first listen. No real Cap stuff, which is so annoying because it's my favourite theme in the entire MCU.

Some good action moments and emotional stuff. I'm sure it'll get better once I see the film tomorrow.

There were a couple of cool theme appearances, but the score itself did not stand out.  It's tough to judge with these movies, because they pretty much only let the score rise above the din for those hero theme appearances .

The mixing is not very good. Every instrument is too close to the microphones and it doesn't sound like an orchestral ensemble at times. At least there's reverb, unlike in a Giacchino score.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

There were a couple of cool theme appearances, but the score itself did not stand out.  It's tough to judge with these movies, because they pretty much only let the score rise above the din for those hero theme appearances .

Even "din" can be made interesting if hiring a composer who makes an effort.

I have seen the movie and I like the score! It's just a shame that Silvestri didn't use the character themes from the other movies. Iron Man's scenes would have been great with Djawadi's or Tyler's theme, Cap's theme from first avenger or Winter soldier would have been great in the Wakanda scenes, Thor's theme from thor 1 or 2 and the Guardians theme would have been cool as well. Otherwise the score is very good!

Btw, does anyone know the difference between the extended tracks and the regular versions of those extended tracks?

The score was just average. It did it's job at serving the visuals, but never really stands out. There were many missed opportunities in the film where Silvestri could've created/inserted a new/existing theme in. This isn't Silvestri's fault though. The MCU was already lacking greatly in musical themes for their heroes so he didn't have much to work with anyways. It's still nice to hear an actual orchestra performing rather than electronics, synths, and loud drums. With that being said, the film on the other hand, was fantastic. Go see it if you haven't yet. 

PS I felt that this film could've greatly benefited from a Thanos' theme seeing how he takes center stage for this film.

"At our first meeting, we began with the question 'Is it even possible to give each character's musical theme a nod?'" Silvestri tells Heat Vision. "We were open to it, but everyone was pretty much in agreement that it would be more of a distraction to even attempt it." - https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/avengers-infinity-war-composer-had-hardest-time-thanos-scene-1106131

Yep, the Russos definitely had a negative influence on the score. Could one expect any different from the people that dumped Silvestri for Jackman on Captain America?

1 hour ago, p0llux said:

The score was just average. It did it's job at serving the visuals, but never really stands out. There were many missed opportunities in the film where Silvestri could've created/inserted a new/existing theme in. This isn't Silvestri's fault though. The MCU was already lacking greatly in musical themes for their heroes so he didn't have much to work with anyways. It's still nice to hear an actual orchestra performing rather than electronics, synths, and loud drums. With that being said, the film on the other hand, was fantastic. Go see it if you haven't yet. 

PS I felt that this film could've greatly benefited from a Thanos' theme seeing how he takes center stage for this film.

The thing is

I think that recurring ominous little motif is supposed to be his theme

But I didnt even notice it until I listened to the soundtrack

and damnit, we could have at least had silvestri's take on the themes of Strange and the GOTG

The Russos were the best thing to happen to marvel. Silvestri didn’t use any other composer’s themes in his first Avengers score so that seems to be his thing.

I thought all Captain America scores were interesting, but different from each other.

39 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

The music was appropriate and effective in the film but I have no desire to listen to it outside of the film. A perfectly suitable score that does its job.

Sounds like something Lorne Balfe would say about his own music...

3 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

The Russos were the best thing to happen to marvel. Silvestri didn’t use any other composer’s themes in his first Avengers score so that seems to be his thing.

I thought all Captain America scores were interesting, but different from each other.

Silvestri apparently used Black Panther's theme, though I could not really tell what track it was in the soundtrack.

I'm not sure if it's Silvestri, or the studios but either way, the lack of apparent "continuity" in this score really bugs me. It would have been nice to hear Strange's theme or Tyler Iron Man's theme anytime those characters were involved in the action, instead of just variations on The Avengers theme. I enjoyed the score otherwise, though. The epic track "Even For You" being a particular highlight. 

At least Silvestri used fewer variations of the Avengers' theme than Christophe Beck in Antman. As I listened to the score I could not help but think that Beck really got excited about the theme he created.

7 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Silvestri apparently used Black Panther's theme, though I could not really tell what track it was in the soundtrack.

I'm not sure if it's Silvestri, or the studios but either way, the lack of apparent "continuity" in this score really bugs me. It would have been nice to hear Strange's theme or Tyler Iron Man's theme anytime those characters were involved in the action, instead of just variations on The Avengers theme. I enjoyed the score otherwise, though. The epic track "Even For You" being a particular highlight. 

You know what? As much as I'd like to hear some of those references myself, we have to remember that one of the primary functions of film scores is to bind the narrative together. This film has got so many characters and story threads that overloading it with Easter eggs and other composer's material would have weakened the storytelling.  A singular mind behind the score helps to offset the apparent chaos of what's happening of screen. That is what a good film composer would be focused on more, I think. Plus if you're hiring Alan Silvestri you probably expect Alan Silvestri. Elfman tried to infuse his Justice League with a lot of stuff and create a score "for everyone". And look what happened there. 

Karol

I don't think everyone would have wanted the themes to be used at all times, but how about a heroic fanfare of the Guardians theme when they enter? (I don't know how, but I guess they come to Earth somehow) Or Cap's theme when we first see him sporting his shield? Just little, quick nods that acknowledge that work has already been done on giving these characters/groups their musical identity and it isn't all going in the trash like it it now.

14 minutes ago, Holko said:

how about a heroic fanfare of the Guardians theme when they enter? (I don't know how, but I guess they come to Earth somehow) Or Cap's theme when we first see him sporting his shield? Just little, quick nods.

Exactly!

Or an end-credits suite that marries all these motifs.

I'm waiting for the home release, no friend in the area at the moment who wants to see it. I'm just responding based on you guys' comments.

That's no fun. And I'm not THAT interested in these anymore. If I'm going alone, my brain would consider it a waste of time, especially all the getting there, back, waiting around, while I could be at home being much more productive playing my games and procrastrinating studying.

Sir, according to my calculations, a solar probe launched from either the Klingon ship or the planet's surface will take eleven seconds to reach the sun. However, since we do not have an exact point of origin, it will take us between eight and fifteen seconds to lock our weapons onto it.

Just now, Margo Channing said:

Don't overthink it.

Try doing that as an INTJ :D

My life is hell :crymore:

5 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

A what?

A personality type - introversion, intuitive, thinking, judgment. I overthink and plan out everything and value logic and reasoning above puny feelings, possibly having blatant disregard for others' opinions (I'm the one who reasons everything, I must be right, right?), even for authority, rules and conventions sometimes. Basically a Vulcan but with hidden emotions and yearning for fitting company I often have no reason to communicate or worry about.