Alan Silvestri replaces John Williams for READY PLAYER ONE

Jay

I think his Captain America theme and Avengers themes were serviceable-to-good, and were bright points in later scores when referenced (Cap 2/3, Avengers 2, Thor 2) - although that is really damning those other scores with faint praise, I guess.

I'll have to check out Beowulf.

I quite like both Beowulf and Van Helsing, especially the extended version of Van Helsing, which features more rendition of the love theme, which helps to give the score more  breathing space.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Everytime this thread gets bumped I keep hoping to see news that JW is back onboard or contributing in some capacity.

"Alan Silvestri replaced by John Williams on Ready Player One", here we come. 

Beowulf has some nice thematic material and an absolutely awesome action cue near the end, but I find a lot of the underscore rather boring. The scenes with Grendel's mother are a snoozefest.

Van Helsing mostly comes off as a typical horror action score to me - bangs, crashes and endless loud action music that doesn't really go anywhere.

Main theme's Ok I guess.

I made a little suite from the sessions some  years ago, when I realised there was some nice, quieter material missing from the OST. (I believe this was a case of the album master being required before he'd written the whole score)