Spielberg on his current and future projects

TownerFan

The Hollywood Reporter sat down with Spielberg, Kathy Kennedy and Frank Marshall:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/steven-spielberg-kathleen-kennedy-frank-902545

Also, an overview about Spielberg's current and future projects, his new partnership with Universal and a lot more:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/steven-spielberg-dreamworks-past-amblins-902544

Even as he has established Amblin Partners at Universal, he has committed to make Ready Player One at Warner Bros. Amblin Partners will get his midbudget historical drama The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara, and then he'll direct the fifth Indiana Jones movie for Disney.

With his latest movie, The BFG opening July 1, Spielberg is prepping Ready Player One; the Warners thriller is scheduled to open in March 2018. Before that, he expects to finish Edgardo Mortara, set for release through Universal in November 2017.

I guess so. This is also what's written:

And then, there's a potential remake of West Side Story — which would be a Fox/MGM co-production — for which Tony Kushner is working on a script. Spielberg has dreamt of adapting it "for decades," securing rights after trying to get them 15 years ago.

It seems to me like It's What I Do would be a sure fire bet to not only make a bunch of money, but win a bunch of awards too. Why would he pass it over for other projects?

Who knows, maybe he'll end up producing it nonetheless. Remember that Spielberg's name is usually attached to dozens of films that he doesn't end up directing personally or projects which freeze during development phase.

Yea, but that one was announced with a lot of fanfare that Spielberg would be directing it.  Didn't seem to be one that would take a lot of time ot develop, shoot, and finish either; I assumed they only hadn't started yet due to Lawrence's busy schedule.

But what about Robopacalypse. It was already to go. 

Yet another project to add to the list: A potential Walter Cronkite movie by the pre-Coens Bridge of Spies screenwriter.

Also didn't realize the West Side Story thing was still on. Kushner adapting makes it a little more interesting, I guess, but still.....

Hope that doesn't happen, especially not while Johnny is still around. 

10 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Yet another project to add to the list: A potential Walter Cronkite movie by the pre-Coens Bridge of Spies screenwriter.

Also didn't realize the West Side Story thing was still on. Kushner adapting makes it a little more interesting, I guess, but still.....

The first one will be suitably boring, lingering on all those historical stations that Spielberg seems so fond of forcing down the throats of his fellow americans but remaking 'West Side Story', the prototype of the expensively mounted A-production from Hollywood's Golden Age, will accomplish exactly what that Robert Wise couldn't bring to the table???

At least a musical is something different for him. I mean, always a historical drama, then a new Indy to pay for the next historical drama .... Sounds like he's trapped in a time loop. Why doesn't Spielberg make a Western, like Ridley Scott? 

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Why doesn't he hire someone who tells him 'Steven, no one wants to see that'? 

Because the film industry goes by a simple principle:

S/he who wields the money makes the film they want to make, even their own.

Still, that doesn't mean that every movie made this way is going to be received positively.

The THR article linked above actually makes some interesting points about what could be behind some Spielberg's choices when it comes to films he directs. He still has the power of doing whatever he likes of course, but in the current Hollywood landscape he has to comply as well to the economic rules that the studios have to follow. It seems he still believes in the naive dream of an industry run by people passionate about movies and he probably still holds the studio moguls of Hollywood's golden era as a model to make great films. But today's Hollywood is a very different beast and, in all honesty, will never go back to the model of the 1930s-1940s studio system Spielberg hearts so much, especially now that foreign markets like China and India are becoming crucial (read this article about the huge success of Warcraft in the China market).

15 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

But what about Robopacalypse. It was already to go. 

Yes, the film was about to start production, but the plug was pulled suddenly mainly because Kathy Kennedy accepted the post of Chairman at Lucasfilm.

6 hours ago, TownerFan said:

...today's Hollywood is a very different beast and, in all honesty, will never go back to the model of the 1930s-1940s studio system Spielberg hearts so much, especially now that foreign markets like China and India are becoming crucial (read this article about the huge success of Warcraft in the China market).

Sounds about right. I'm in conversation with reddit users from the PRC that over there, high fantasy is their country's most popular genre in terms of literature and especially film. "Warcraft" definitely falls under that genre.

21 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

We can only hope...

Indeed. Edgardo Mortara sounds more interesting to me, so I think it is good news if he has chosen that over It's What I Do

West Side Story could make for some fantastic Williams music! IMO it depends on whether Spielberg just wants to reuse all the old songs, or whether he wants Williams to write some new ones. I think if Williams did write some original songs, this could be a really unique and incredible project! 

Just now, Alexcremers said:

New songs? You really think Spielberg is going to start a war with the musical world?

Barring Leonard Bernstein from the dead, in terms of the music by itself, that would a very one-sided war.

But unlike Sondheim, Williams isn't a lyricist, so it may even things out.

Oh? Did some other composer write the music for West Side Story? Interesting.

I was only having fun. :(

If Spielberg ever does a remake of WEST SIDE STORY (which I doubt is ever going to happen), Williams will not do the score. At most, he will adapt Bernstein's material, perhaps in collaboration with Stephen Sondheim (if he's still around by then). As far as I know, Sondheim himself was also involved when Tim Burton did SWEENEY TODD.

I was going to say that Spielberg is above remakes, but then there's the fact that BFG will be coming soon, so I decided not to say it.

Always and War of the Worlds were also remakes.

So was The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn, depending on your point of view.

A West Side Story remake seems like a gargantuan waste of time and energy.  If you want to see it in a theater with a different cast then see it on Broadway.  We don't need another movie version.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

If Spielberg ever does a remake of WEST SIDE STORY (which I doubt is ever going to happen), Williams will not do the score. At most, he will adapt Bernstein's material, perhaps in collaboration with Stephen Sondheim (if he's still around by then). As far as I know, Sondheim himself was also involved when Tim Burton did SWEENEY TODD.

Yeah, that's what I fear. West Side Story could make a great Williams score, but an adapting role is more likely what will happen. 

Williams played piano on the original film soundtrack too, if memory serves (or maybe it was a later album recording), so he has that extra connection to it.

Yeah the only interesting historical project on his slate is Montezuma and that would have to be 4 or 5 years away, if he does it at all.

It seems completely out of his comfort zone, and Spielberg doesn't make films outside his comfort zone anymore. I really miss when Spielberg used to challenge himself, but the critical and political reaction to Munich has seemingly tempered his choice in projects.

There were a few other interesting points in that article. One, that he was privately fuming and baffled when Lincoln lost to Argo at the Oscars (seriously, he still takes them that seriously? Certainly explains all the Oscar-bait movies.) Two, he made more money from Jurassic World than Universal did. How the hell did he achieve that deal?!

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

he made more money from Jurassic World than Universal did. 

That's pretty funny.  Did he make more than Colin Trevorrow too?

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

One, that he was privately fuming and baffled when Lincoln lost to Argo at the Oscars

To be fair, the overwhelming acclaim and love for  Argo in general pretty baffling.  It's a fairly average middle-eastern thriller with a "good job Hollywood" pat on the back at the end.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

That's pretty funny.  Did he make more than Colin Trevorrow too?

You'd think so, especially considering he spent well over a decade developing the film through development hell. I'm not sure Trevorrow had enough clout to negotiate a percentage of net/gross profit in addition to a director's/writer's fee. He was probably just happy to get such a prestigious gig with so few credits to his name.

Perhaps the split production costs between Legendary, Universal and Amblin contributed to Spielberg being able to pocket more money than the studios on their own?

• 1 year later...

He hasn't mentioned it when talking about future projects. Indy 5 and something related to Gershwin are on his radar at the moment:

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/steven-spielberg-2019-start-date-fifth-indiana-jones-movie-1202730075/

Here's an interesting summary of speculation and announcements over future Spielberg films. Moral of the story is: unless shooting starts, it's not certain.
http://www.vulture.com/2018/03/a-decade-of-steven-spielberg-not-making-up-his-mind.html

I read Robocoplypse last year and really enjoyed it. At least the earlier possibility of a Williams score brought a good book to my attention!