Sharky

Brexit: The Official Thread

Poll  

40 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

The EU seemed to me to sum up our position perfectly: what do you want, UK?

I notice that whenever a brexiter talks on TV the phrase now tends to be '17.4 million people voted to leave the EU which is the biggest democratic mandate of all time' line rather than the 52% thing, because the former makes it sound like a bigger victory.

And to quote James o'Brien, to those saying 'you lost, get over it'... what is it that you've won? I think being pleased that we've ended FoM is something to be absolutely ashamed of.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anyway, I won't be surprised if Italy leaves in a few years. The EU has not been reasonable with them.

The only reason Italy leaves is they don't meet even loosest stability criteria. No leading politician wanted a north/south axis back then when this thing was created, now it has come back to haunt them.

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I don’t think the EU are actually all that afraid of a no deal Brexit. It sends a message to the rest of the EU about how difficult it is to leave. 

Absolutely. I expect it's their least favoured of the three basic outcomes, but nowhere near as calamitous to 27 countries working together to mitigate the effects as it's likely to be to the UK on its own.

Theresa May and Jean-Claude Juncker weren't fighting about whether her demands were too vague; they were just having a friendly argument about the best 1980s computer games.

neb2.png

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Leave 'em to their freak outs, Rich. Herd mentality etc

Which freak outs?

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Italy's dissatisfaction has a lot to do with them having become an imigration hub for the EU, and the EU not being willing to sufficiently relieve them.

Smokescreens. Italy's disastrous financial situation - a situation brewing many years before the first syrian or other refugee ever set a foot onto Sicily - is ex- and implicitly responsible for its social problems. Italy would leave the EU to depreciate their currency, a thing easier thought than done now.

The local EU'ers here willing the UK to go down in flames just for kicks is pretty sad tbh. Useful to know though, know what I mean?

I mean, I suppose I could say I'm disappointed in some people, but the likes of Bilbo are easily to shrug off, such is his longstanding vitriol towards Britain (and its people, I suspect) as documented in various threads over the years  - all while looking like Harry Potter with Downs, no less. But Chaac was another, and look at him/her...

I can't take these people seriously. The others I just sort of expect it by now.

Course I'm going personal, don't act all shocked.

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The local EU'ers here willing the UK to go down in flames just for kicks is pretty sad tbh. Useful to know though, know what I mean?

I mean, I suppose I could say I'm disappointed in some people, but the likes of Bilbo are easily to shrug off, such is his longstanding vitriol towards Britain as documented in various threads over the years  - all while looking like Harry Potter with Downs, no less. But Chaac was another, and look at him/her...

Course I'm going personal, don't act all shocked.

Fed up, are we?

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It goes without saying that a poor and malfunctioning country doesn't benefit from the enormous amounts of refugees they have to handle because of an outdated EU agreement.

Are the numbers that enormous? I wager that never was the case, outside media coverage. Poor handling of the situation by all involved, sure, but it's sheer revisionism to now blame all of this countries deficiencies and political turmoil on that (a statement which not only goes for Itly).

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Fed up, are we?

Does it seem that way? I'm really not. Loads going on for me outside of this thread mate. I just think it can be amusing to break the trend of collective sneering with a bit of straight up trash talk, on occasion. It's nothing really though.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

it's sheer revisionism to now blame all of this countries deficiencies and political turmoil on that (a statement which not only goes for Itly).

I don't see that anybody has done that. However, when the Italian economy started out very weak before the explosion in migration, the limits to what they can handle are less than for some other countries.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:55 PM, Stefancos said:

Racism!

This made me actually spit my drink!

Funny video of Theresa May imitating Andy Serkis!

On 12/14/2018 at 4:42 PM, Quintus said:

I mean, I suppose I could say I'm disappointed in some people, but the likes of Bilbo are easily to shrug off, such is his longstanding vitriol towards Britain (and its people, I suspect) as documented in various threads over the years  - all while looking like Harry Potter with Downs, no less. But Chaac was another, and look at him/her...

I can't take these people seriously. The others I just sort of expect it by now.

I don't quite understand this message. (I don't particularly mind if people are disappointed in me or not, so I don't mean that).

I was another with a vitriol for Britain? I'm kind of an anglophile and welshphile, so I don't get it. Just because I don't like to lick the boots of the empire or winston churchill in other threads of years past... Do you think I'm kind to asshole Spaniards?

The one reason I was wondering what would happen in a no-deal Brexit is that if it's that what it takes to separate Wales and Scotland or not. The  people left without nothing (I remember outcries about disabled people being abandoned by conservatives well during Brexit) that will be worse off and left to uncrontrolled conservative hyenas is not funny (and I'm now remembering details like how almost all environmental protection instructions in the UK, a rather devastated place, is from the EU), and this comes from someone who would not be liked by them and who would migrate to Wales if circunstances were better-

Maybe you don't deserve honest answers, with the "him/her"s and such.

On 12/17/2018 at 9:35 AM, Bilbo said:

I don't see the issue with another referendum, tbh

On 12/14/2018 at 1:14 PM, Richard Penna said:

And to quote James o'Brien, to those saying 'you lost, get over it'... what is it that you've won? I think being pleased that we've ended FoM is something to be absolutely ashamed of.

I don't know what they win. I think we'd all win something with a more democratic EU less tolerant of fucking nazis. I don't know if you can do that inside the EU or if you have to disintegrate it entirely...

24 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I don't see the issue with another referendum, tbh

You don't think it would invalidate the entire concept of a referendum in politics?

The government shouldn't announce a second referendum, they should announce that theyre gonna set aside the outcome of the first one. It was a non-binding one, so they can legally disregard it.

A truly responsible government would, should do just that. If it shown that the ramifications are too severe.

So May is dragging this out for another month? While everyone prepares for a no deal BREXIT? Whats the point? Just forget the vote. It won't pass.

37 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You don't think it would invalidate the entire concept of a referendum in politics?

The government shouldn't announce a second referendum, they should announce that theyre gonna set aside the outcome of the first one. It was a non-binding one, so they can legally disregard it.

I didn't remember that. Then they can do that I guess.

I do think she’s waiting until as close as possible to the deadline before having the vote on her deal. Getting that close might scare those on the fence into thinking a no deal is possible and they’ll take whatever he available instead. 

I actually think what she negotiated was as good as could be got. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

It would hardly do that as thoroughly as the alternative you've suggested!

Having another referendum isn't an ideal scenario, but the arguments claiming that it's completely unacceptable are bad ones. The fact is that none of the available options seems particularly desirable to many people, so going with an undesirable one is unavoidable. The assertion that Brexit must go ahead at all costs rests entirely on the fact that Leave got more votes than Remain in the 2016 referendum, but it's questionable (even doubtful) whether either of the two Brexit options now known to be on offer would have got more votes than Remain even on that day, let alone this one. If people still want to leave then they can vote to leave in any new referendum, and if a majority does so then Brexit is safe! What those in the UK who decry the idea of a referendum on the (now concrete) options reveal is that, whilst loudly acclaiming Brexit as the "will of the people", they actually fear that it isn't.

Neither the government or the leading opposition have at any time in the last 2 years seriously considered a second referendum.

They can't do one now. That ship has sailed 

Yeah, but what I mean is that it's around now that the arguments in favour of a referendum are reaching their peak (in terms of validity and vociferousness of its advocates and chances of success) rather than at some earlier time in the last two years. The key reasons for this are (a) the impasse in Parliament and (b) the fact it's only now that we have an actual proposal for withdrawal to vote on. I don't mean to say that I think the chances of there being another referendum are huge. Last week I would have said they were a little better than 50%, but I think they've declined somewhat since then due to the Labour leadership pushing back pretty strongly against the idea.

Ok, I've just watched 15 minutes of Tory propaganda, disguised as a BBfuckingC news bulletin!

Everything on it was speculation, circumspection, and just plain guesswork. I've never heard so many "might"s,  "perhaps"s, "maybe"s, and "possibly"s. The condescension was palpable, while the smirks on the faces of the presenters were barely contained.

This is about as evil, and misleading as "journalism" gets. Auntie should be ashamed of herself.

The Tory mouthpiece stays firmly open, and is spewing shit, better than ever. Well done, our leaders. Crap all over the public, once more, why don't you?

16 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Wait, what? The Brexit referendum was non-binding? Then why the fuck are they still plowing on with this disaster?

23 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Wait, what? The Brexit referendum was non-binding? Then why the fuck are they still plowing on with this disaster?

The will of the people. If they ignore it, a civil war will break out. Also, the British are amongst the most chauvinistic people in the world. They can't stand to be a part of something unless that something belongs to them.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The will of the people. If they ignore it, a civil war will break out. Also, the British are amongst the most chauvinistic people in the world. They can't stand to be a part of something unless that something belongs to them.

But they already got all the reforms of the EU they wanted in order to get in. Somehow.

I'm pretty sure there are normal people there who do not care about ruling a sort of empire as a metric for self-steem.

4 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

The will of the people!

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

So you disagree with the assertions?

I'm not sure what to agree or disagree with, if everything is rumour and hearsay.

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

If they ignore it, a civil war will break out.

Nah, we're too polite to stage a civil war. Even if we did, it would all stop at 4pm, for Earl Grey and cucumber sandwiches.

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

...the British are amongst the most chauvinistic people in the world.

Of course we're not. Now fuck off you Johnny foreigner, and don't bother this thread again.