THE BFG SOUNDTRACK SAMPLES!

Sandor

It has an instant classic Williams feel, with the giants stuff sounding like the sticky bandits from Home Alone. But it also shares a few JNH's vibes. And the main theme (I assume Sophie's Theme) heard primarily in 'Building Trust,' 'Blowing Dreams,' 'Sophie's Future,' 'Meeting the Queen,' and 'Finale,' sounds like the flavours of Williams' War Horse and Lincoln, that have then been shaped into a JNH melody.

At 0:19-0:30 in the sample 'Meeting the Queen for example; Sophie's Theme sounds like an amalgam of the beginning of JNH's Huntsman Winter's War Theme, and the ending of his Peter Pan Theme:

2:32 - 2:40

And 0:28 - 0:36

Sounds fabulous! At 84, Williams still writes with more energy than anyone else in the business, and with an elegance and panache that is simply unmatched.

Loving every second of these samples; even from just 30 second glimpses, there's a sense of rejuvenation and freshness to this music that is just remarkable. What a precious, precious gift!

Loving the music for the Queen.  I now feel bad for being snooty about Mr Big already wanting more from that part of the movie. 

Also, I like the classical music flavoring imbued in many of the tracks.  There better be an extended concert version of Frolic. 

wow. does indeed sound like HP meeting Hook. Home Alone is also there. :)

Although the sound quality of the samples is terrible, I think orchestration- and/or mixing-wise it does sound way better than Tintin.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Also woodwinds are always such a lovely thing to hear in a film score in this day and age of endless string ostinati and drums.

This was the same thought I had listening to the samples. "Listen to all these wonderful woodwinds"

Samples sound great. Sounds like a healthy mix of HP/Hook and later year Williams in Lincoln/War Horse mode. Also sounds like it could be his most colourfully orchestrated score since the first Potter.

"Giants Netted" sounds like a lot of fun! Really reminds me of the pirate-related material in Hook.  You can hear the same or related theme in "Fleshlumpeater" where the orchestration sounds much more like the Wet Bandits music from Home Alone.

Can't wait to hear the whole thing.

6 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Williams' music almost doesn't sound like film music anymore (at least the current notion of it). I can only compare it to the music of the giants (hehe) of the 19th and 20th century (including of course film music greats like Herrmann, Korngold, Newman, Waxman, Rozsa and Goldsmith)

Wow.

I am very excited. The soundtrack might disappoint people clamoring for constant innovation and experiments, but JW does here, what he does best, creating a musical narrative full of nuances and inspiration. In this he seems to continue the tradition of the likes of E.T, Hook and HP, a very welcome addition. 

Colorful but shopworn. My pragmatic reaction will be, as always, to ban all Potter and similar music for half a year - after that, it all has blended into one. 

I hadn't been planning to listen to samples, but I can't help myself. If they had come out a day or two before release, I probably could have avoided them (e.g. with TFA it leaked on the Wednesday before release and I was able to avoid listening until my CD arrived Friday). But with a full week still...

Well, here goes.

4 minutes ago, Will said:

I hadn't been planning to listen to samples, but I can't help myself. If they had come out a day or two before release, I probably could have avoided them (e.g. with TFA it leaked on the Wednesday before release and I was able to avoid listening until my CD arrived Friday). But with a full week still...

Well, here goes.

Same here! I'm still resisting because I have to eat first, but I feel the power of Williams singing in my ear, "Resistance is useless!"

1 minute ago, SzPeti42 said:

Same here! I'm still resisting because I have to eat first, but I feel the power of Williams singing in my ear, "Resistance is useless!"

Be strong... hold off... it's the only new Williams film music we'll have for 18 months!

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

The JW premium bitch has spoken!

Delighted to play the part, if only to have a bit of fun on behalf of your forum persona!

As the perpetual cynic of most things Williams, you tread dangerously close to self-parody... 

55 minutes ago, publicist said:

Colorful but shopworn. My pragmatic reaction will be, as always, to ban all Potter and similar music for half a year - after that, it all has blended into one. 

Did you really expect anything else though? This was never going to really tread any new territory.

45 minutes ago, aescalle said:

"Witching Hour" begining is a completly rip of the "Fury" theme !!!

I thought it was some kind of intentional reference, though I can't imagine why.

30 seconds snippets.... but I already have some favorites... Building Trust.... Frolic....Snorting And Sniffing.....Sophie's Future....Giants Netted....Finale....

We have just enough to identify what seems to be the major theme, that is repeating on several cues.

Great!

I love the elegance of the main theme. It reminds me of some kind of classical dance, as if it should accompany a ballroom of dancers.

I'm not strong enough in musical theory to explain any clearer than that, but I wonder if anyone else here understands what I'm hearing?

And, best of all, it's another really memorable main theme in the vein of his writing for War Horse.

Even if the CD arrives first or someone shares it elsewhere,  I'm gonna listen to it first with the film. I just gave in to the samples before and said to myself 'no more goddammit!' *hits my head against my drawers repeatedly "Bad Dobby, bad!"*

Just listened to the samples:

My review is five joy emojis out of a possible five. 

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: 

What a beautiful score, another masterpiece. 

The classical flavor is wonderful. It reminds me of church hymns and traditional Christmas carols in terms of the harmony in many places, which is probably because those two things amount to most of my classical music listening these days.

A lot of the emotional melodies have a really warm, rich tone to them.

The evil giants theme is more or less pulled from Home Alone, but I happened to like the Wet Bandits' theme so I don't really mind. 

The Overture was the first thing I listened to and it was marvelous. We heard it in the Cannes video but it seemed even better now. What a magical way to open the film.

Oh, and The Witching Hour seems to take inspiration from Williams' "Starry Night" cue from TFA, which I loved.

Everything I heard is kind of clumped together in my head and it's all a blur, so I can't offer much more analysis at the moment. It still seems surreal to be listening to new JW music.

In case anyone is wondering, here are the OST tracks that I believe we heard in the Cannes videos:

Overture

To Giant Country

Finale

Sophie and the BFG

Listening to the samples now

"Frolic" reminds me of The Flying Car from Harry Potter 2.

@Disco Stu

Woah woah woah now. I'm as excited for this score as anyone, but declaring it a masterpiece after listening to 30 seconds of each track is insane

I'm confident that it is indeed a masterpiece. Now, my definition of masterpiece may not be your definition. I think many of JW's scores are masterpieces. 

I mean, in theory, it's possible that the entire rest of the score is total crap. But I doubt that's the case. 

Love the waltz in To Giant Country!

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Listening to the samples now

"Frolic" reminds me of The Flying Car from Harry Potter 2.

Frolic is definitely the Galop that was mentioned earlier!

4 minutes ago, Will said:

@Disco Stu

I'm confident that it is indeed a masterpiece. Now, my definition of masterpiece may not be your definition. I think many of JW's scores are masterpieces. 

I mean, in theory, it's possible that the entire rest of the score is total crap. But I doubt that's the case. 

Oh sure, I think many of his scores are masterpieces as well.  For me, I have to have listened to the full OST all the way through many times over many months before I feel comfortable enough in that opinion. Guess I'm just cautious!

1 minute ago, hanser said:

beautiful, yes. But jazzy?

Slightly, yes. Listen closely to the harmonies from 0:16 - end.