James Horner's THE ROCKETEER - New 2CD Intrada Expanded

Jay

People on FSM are guessing it could be Kamen's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves or The Three Musketeers, though in Musketeer's case 1993 is in that odd position of "do you call that Early 90s or Mid 90s?"  

If its Robin Hood or The Rocketeer I'll be very happy, personally.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

If its Robin Hood or The Rocketeer I'll be very happy, personally.

Yeah, me too. Although, Horner would be preferable.

Karol

If its the Rocketeer, I wonder if it will include the Nazi Propganda source music and the original trailer music (neither of which is by Horner) ?

I hope it includes the music for Neville Sinclair's play!

Good heavens! It's sir Reginald!

None other!

Not much in Robin Hood that needs significant expansion (which isn't to say I wouldn't grab a copy if that's the one they're doing). I'm pulling hard for Horner on this one.

Complete James Horner soundtrack soars on 2-CD set! One of Horner’s most popular scores, one he was particularly fond of, lands with more than 20 minutes of previously unreleased score! Walt Disney Pictures presents, Joe Johnston directs, Bill Campbell, Alan Arvin, Jennifer Connelly, Paul Sorvino, Timothy Dalton star. 1938. Nazi’s on the rise. All-American pilot Cliff Secord finds jetpack, suddenly becomes crimefighting hero The Rocketeer. Jenny Blake is his sweetheart, Neville Sinclair his evil nemesis, Peevy his mentor. All become embroiled in rip-roaring heroics and dazzling derring-do. Flying high alongside them is incredibly rousing, tuneful James Horner score. Primary theme for Cliff’s aerial exploits and dashing rescues anchors the action, dark low brass motif for Sinclair provides edged contrast. Gorgeous love theme also has its say, especially in richly developed treatment Horner recorded especially for the album. Even a couple of big-band standards in fresh arrangements made by legendary Billy May (Horner was particularly fond of 30’s and 40’s-era swing music) appear in both picture and album. Orchestral spotlight goes to “The Flying Circus”, an exciting tour-de-force for orchestra. Trumpets get a sizzling workout! Supercharged action also rears with “South Seas Send Up” (titled “Jenny’s Rescue” on the 1991 album) plus lengthy action finale, “The Zeppelin”. New cues include important early sequences “The Gizmo”, “Finding The Rocket”. Other new highlights: “Testing The Rocket”, “The Laughing Bandit”, “Lothar Gets Wilmer”. CD 1 (and part of CD 2) features everything Horner recorded for the film, including all scoring cues intact and uncut plus both big-band arrangements. Horner was fond of his 1991 album presentation, featuring his favorite highlights, often with unique edits, special takes and album remixes. Intrada happily keeps that album intact on CD 2. For this important presentation, Intrada was given access to the complete Sony 3348 format 48-track session masters vaulted by Disney in pristine condition and mixed to two-track digital stereo by Shawn Murphy. 20-page booklet with profuse color stills, text by Tim Greiving plus “flipper-style” cover designed by Joe Sikoryak adds touch of art-deco elegance to rewarding project. Fun tidbit: Horner was one of the very few composers who actually scored full end titles rather than leave them to music editors to “cut and paste” from existing cues. Typically he concluded them on exquisite, pianissimo chords for strings. The Rocketeer end credits instead climax in spectacular fashion with a resounding fortissimo coda for full orchestra. Bravo Maestro! John Neufeld, Elliot Kaplan, Billy May, Conrad Pope orchestrate, James Horner composes, conducts. Intrada Special Collection 2-CD set available while quantities and interest remain!

CD1 Original Film Soundtrack
01. Main Title (4:43)
02. The Gizmo (3:25)
03. Finding The Rocket (1:52)
04. Neville And Eddie (1:07)
05. Testing The Rocket (2:40)
06. Lothar Gets Wilmer (1:44)
07. The Helmet (0:45)
08. The Laughing Bandit (1:10)
09. Neville Eavesdrops (1:25)
10. The Flying Circus (6:35)
11. A Hero Is Born/Bye Bye Bigelow (2:51)
12. Begin The Beguine (3:44)
13. Jenny’s Rescue (3:52)
14. Love Theme* (5:10)
15. Cliff To The Club (0:49)
16. Cliff The Waiter (0:32)
17. When Your Lover Has Gone (3:28)
18. South Seas Send Up (3:43)
19. Neville Sinclair’s House (7:19)
20. Cliff Caught (1:38)
21. Rendezvous At Observatory (8:10)
      CD1 Total Time: 67:23

CD2 Original Film Soundtrack (Continued)
01. The Zeppelin (7:56)
02. End Title/End Credits (6:30)
      Total Time: 14:32
      Total Soundtrack Time: 81:55

1991 Soundtrack Album
03. Main Title / Takeoff (4:43)
04. The Flying Circus (6:23)
05. Jenny* (5:10)
06. Begin The Beguine (3:44)
07. Neville Sinclair’s House (7:20)
08. Jenny’s Rescue (3:21)
09. Rendezvous At The Griffith Park Observatory (8:10)
10. When Your Lover Has Gone (3:28)
11. The Zeppelin (7:56)
12. Rocketeer To The Rescue/End Title (6:30)
      Album Total Time: 57:16
      CD2 Total Time: 71:55
      *Not Featured in Film

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10318/.f

82 minute main score program!!

EDIT: Nevermind, it's only 82 minutes because the main program includes the pop songs mixed in between score cues.  WTF? Since those are exactly the same in the album program anyway, why not just make Disc 1 be the complete score and have Disc 2 be just the OST?  What a baffling programming decision!!!!  Now we have to switch discs just to hear the main program because they mixed the pop songs into the score, this is baffling!!

Here's the tracklist I would have done

Disc 1:The Complete Score

01 Main Title (4:43)
02 The Gizmo (3:25)
03 Finding The Rocket (1:52)
04 Neville And Eddie (1:07)
05 Testing The Rocket (2:40)
06 Lothar Gets Wilmer (1:44)
07 The Helmet (0:45)
08 The Laughing Bandit (1:10)
09 Neville Eavesdrops (1:25)
10 The Flying Circus (6:35)
11 A Hero Is Born/Bye Bye Bigelow (2:51)
12 Jenny’s Rescue (3:52)
13 Cliff To The Club (0:49)
14 Cliff The Waiter (0:32)
15 South Seas Send Up (3:43)
16 Neville Sinclair’s House (7:19)
17 Cliff Caught (1:38)
18 Rendezvous At Observatory (8:10)
19 The Zeppelin (7:56)
20 End Title/End Credits (6:30)
21 Love Theme* (5:10)

TOTAL TIME - 74:43

Disc 2: The Original 1991 Soundtrack Album

01 Main Title / Takeoff (4:43)
02 The Flying Circus (6:23)
03 Jenny* (5:10)
04 Begin The Beguine (3:44)
05 Neville Sinclair’s House (7:20)
06 Jenny’s Rescue (3:21)
07 Rendezvous At The Griffith Park Observatory (8:10)
08 When Your Lover Has Gone (3:28)
09 The Zeppelin (7:56)
10 Rocketeer To The Rescue/End Title (6:30)

TOTAL TIME - 57:16

I'm sorry Intrda, I love you but the way you programmed this new release makes no sense!

I concur about putting the songs on CD2, but how many people still use physical discs after ripping to their computers for promulgation to various portable devices?  As a pseudo-Luddite (I'm old enough to have owned 8-track tapes), I can see burning a CD with just Horner's music.

As for the overall length.  Sure Horner said it was 100 minutes, but on TWOK's featurette he said that the Enterprise Clears the Moorings track was 12 minutes.  His job was composing and making things fit, not remembering numbers.  

I get their wanting to stick to Horner's wishes, but damn, the OST album had existed for 25 years with the songs & love theme concert arrangement in between score cues - and that OST is here on the new release!  The expanded release should have had just the Horner score, with the concert arrangement presented after, not in the middle.  That program would fit on one disc is like extra reason for it to be that way.  I don't understand their program at all, but whatever, we can all change the playlist on our own computers / devices.... its just such an ODD choice!

Oh well, the music is all that matters.  Can't wait to hear it

(I went to play the samples to hear the new cues, but out of 8 samples 6 of them are from tracks that were on the OST... sigh).

AWESOME! Since I don't own this yet I'll order it ASAP today! What a nice surprise to have this released on my birthday! :)

And I see the Laughing Bandit cue is on there! Double awesome! :lol: 

I have ordered straight away along with Powder. Two important gaps in my collection are finally being filled. Will buy Chinatown when it's back in stock.

Karol

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh well, the music is all that matters.  Can't wait to hear it

(I went to play the samples to hear the new cues, but out of 8 samples 6 of them are from tracks that were on the OST... sigh).

I think all the labels could be a bit more intelligent with the samples. They know full well that we're after the unreleased cues, and don't really need to hear samples of music that's on the existing album.

There has been just one occasion when samples have persuaded me to make a purchase (Varese's Nightwing).

On 6/28/2016 at 1:31 AM, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Nazi cartoon music?

Horner had nothing to do with it; It was an existing piece of music.  This one: 

http://www.unippm.co.uk/#!/browse/browsed-results.aspx?SelectedCDId=992

Ordered! So happy to finally own this score. And even though the way the set is arranged is indeed a bit odd, it doesn't really bother us in this day and age when most of us enjoy this music through digital medium anyway and can arrange their own favourite playlists for this stuff. :)

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

I have ordered straight away along with Powder. Two important gaps in my collection are finally being filled. Will buy Chinatown when it's back in stock.

Karol

Ditto.  I ordered it with Powder and BTTF2.  Would have included Chinatown, but it was Out Of Stock at the time, and didn't want my Rocketeer to be delayed!  I'll grab Chinatown at some point this year when Intrada releases the next amazing release I am sure :)

Them doing Rocketeer gives me hope for Willow, since both are Disney.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Them doing Rocketeer gives me hope for Willow, since both are Disney.

I hope so.  Incidentally, the original Willow album was released by Virgin Records, now owned by UMG.  Intrada looks like the most likely candidate for attacking it!

I don't currently own any Horner CD, so the plan now is to build my collection of his music through inevitable expanded editions.  So this one is a solid maybe.

3 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

I don't currently own any Horner CD, so the plan now is to build my collection of his music through inevitable expanded editions.  So this one is a solid maybe.

This one would be a great place to start! It's vintage Horner with a beautiful and exhilarating main theme and great love theme and brilliantly energetic action music where Horner melds his own sensibilities with the swashbuckling spirit of the Golden Age.

I remember that I didn't first think much of the main theme when I first heard it on the Erich Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops The Great Fantasy Adventure Album (a great compilation actually!) but suddenly after some time it just clicked and it has become one of my favourite Horner themes and scores.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I haven't gotten one yet :(

I did just get a shipping notice for Starship Troopers and Volcano, though.

Well, I'm still waiting for that one.

EDIT: Oh no, wait, I did get a shipping confirmation from Varese last night. Just completely missed it because my e-mail inbox moved it to ads/promotions section.

Karol

9 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

:eek2:

How have you been a Williams fan for decades and now enjoyed the similar music by his contemporaries?  Wow!

Collecting the great releases of his music by the specialty labels is a great place to start, though there's many great that haven't received an expansion yet (Titanic, Willow, Apollo 13, Sneakers, Glory)... hopefully they all will soon, though!  There's also a lot of specialty label expansions that are now out of print (Wolfen, Honey I Shrunk The Kids, Journey of Natty Gann, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Uncommon Valor, 48 Hrs, among others) that hopefully will come back in print soon (or in some cases expanded to complete for the first time).

Anyway, here are the top eight specialty label Horner releases I heartily recommend you start with!

Film Score Monthly
Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan (click)

Star Trek 3 The Search For Spock (click)

Intrada

Cocoon (click)

The Rocketeer (click)

La-La Land Records

Braveheart (click)

Krull (click) - you'll love this one

The Pagemaster (click)

Varese Sarabande

Aliens (click)

Just got my shipping notice!

With any luck I'll have it... Friday, but more likely Saturday.