What year did John Williams grow his beard?

King Mark

Just a random question that poped into my mind

in the AFI video there seems to be a picture of him recording TV show music (mid 60's) where he doesn't have a beard yet (but balding though)

and he didn't seem to have glasses when he was young

He already had a beard in the mid-to-late 60's. On the back of the Penelope LP (1966) there is a small picture of Williams conducting and he had a goatee.

Some of the images you mention come from early 60's sessions.

49 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

When he hit puberty.

We need year by year photo demonstration chart. John Williams, The Bearded Odyssey.

Depending on how long it is and his maintenance schedule and growth rate, there's a slim chance that some of the hairs in his beard first grew out when he was writing Star Wars. 

You could stroke his beard and feel a hair that once reverbated and danced to the first hum or strike of the piano key that became the Star Wars Main Titles. 

Absolutely wondrous!

9 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

He already had a beard in the mid-to-late 60's. On the back of the Penelope LP (1966) there is a small picture of Williams conducting and he had a goatee.

Some of the images you mention come from early 60's sessions.

A goatee, yes, but not the beard we know today. I feel fairly confident he grew this in the early 70s, as I have seen no 60s pictures sporting this particular hairdo. But I could be wrong.

13 hours ago, Incanus said:

Do we have possible photo evidence or better yet film footage of John Williams growing his beard?

We need access to the hours and hours of Spielberg's own videos of Williams's growing beard.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

as I have seen no 60s pictures sporting this particular hairdo.

Speaking about a bald person, that choice of words if very unfortunate and unpolite!

The answer to this topic is obvious that the more hair he had on top of his head, the less need he had for hair under his chin. As he lost hair, he grew the beard to compensate.  As proof, note this photograph with partial baldness and partial beard.

John-Williams-young.jpg

18 hours ago, karelm said:

The answer to this topic is obvious that the more hair he had on top of his head, the less need he had for hair under his chin. As he lost hair, he grew the beard to compensate.  As proof, note this photograph with partial baldness and partial beard.

John-Williams-young.jpg

I've seen that photo before. It's either from the late 60s or early 70s, before he "expanded" the goatee into a full beard. He has a bit of Jerry Fielding going on in this period.

16 hours ago, Incanus said:

Do you prefer the goatee over the "expanded/complete version" also in this case? After all John Williams intended us to enjoy his beard in both ways. And he has always been an excellent beard producer.

He, he...I KNEW someone would post a quip on that. :D

9 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

Always two there are, a master and an apprentice:

imagejpeg

Image doesn't work.