"Of Grace and Majesty" at Tanglewood on Parade, August 2, 2016

Foxfan

Could be another new concert piece! Maestro keeps himself busy! :)

Quick googling reveals that it might be an alternate name for A Hymn to New England.

Darn! I would have loved to hear yet another new festive piece from him.

So I guess we don't know what pieces Williams will conduct yet?

You would think he would conduct all three of his compositions. But I seem to remember that a couple years ago he was scheduled to conduct a couple things at Parade, and there was also a concert work of his that someone else was scheduled to conduct earlier in the program. 

On 01/07/2016 at 1:49 AM, Will said:

So I guess we don't know what pieces Williams will conduct yet?

You would think he would conduct all three of his compositions. But I seem to remember that a couple years ago he was scheduled to conduct a couple things at Parade, and there was also a concert work of his that someone else was scheduled to conduct earlier in the program. 

That was last year, when he canceled all of his concert appearances. Stéphane Denève lead a small tribute to Williams with the TMC orchestra, as was already scheduled before Williams cancellation. This segment included the second performance of "Just down west street... on the left", which was premiered a few weeks earlier with the TMC Orchestra opening concert under Stephan Asbury. The segment originally expected to be conducted by Williams, with the Boston Pops Orchestra, was conducted by BSO's music director Andris Nelsons, performing Throne Room and Finale.

Also, when the program is posted at the BSO site, I don't think they ever say which conductor is doing which piece. But I think is reasonable to assume the Williams will do his own music. What I found curious is the absence of both the BSO and Pops music directors this year.

On 01/07/2016 at 10:25 AM, Thor said:

John Williams has to stop renaming his concert pieces, dammit!

While I can understand his whish to do so, it's kind of annoying, I agree.

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

While I can understand his whish to do so, it's kind of annoying, I agree.

I can understand it if the piece was written for a specific, "dated" event (like the Satelite Celebration or fanfares for Prince Philipp, or -- if we'll ever get a recording of it -- Michael Dukakis), but this had a perfectly good and "timeless" name to begin with.

I wonder if the two mentioned had that name to start with... The Price Philip one, at least, was untitled when first mentioned in the newspapers, and referred as a piece for the Prince's visit to Boston -- hence the expected reference to it as "Fanfare for Prince Philip". Shortly after, at Tanglewood was titled already "Aloft... to the Royal Masthhead!"

Just wondering...

• 4 weeks later...