The BFG THEMES Discussion

Jay

18 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Yeah, I definitely think of that one as Poe's too. My first viewing of the movie it struck me as a Poe/Finn friendship theme, but when I realized the "Farewell & The Trip" statement starts right on that shot of Poe in his X-Wing, that kinda cinched it for me as his alone.

Yep, pretty much this. Although the first two statements involve both Finn and Poe, the final statement is clearly representative of Poe's successful destruction of Starkiller base, with that glorious celebratory rendition.

18 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I still have a hard time justifying why Finn's Theme (Follow Me) is considered his, though. Besides the fact that John Williams said so....I don't really get any specific association with him in the film, I just think of it as an action motif.

I think the inclusion of the motif in the End Credits immediately after Rey and Kylo Ren's theme suites seals the deal for me about what it represents. Especially when Poe's Theme becomes intertwined with it and the Resistance March follows that. Boyega's third billed from the new cast, after Ridley & Driver and before Isaac, so the theme's placement makes sense in this regard.

Might be mis-remembering but didn't an early interview with JJ specifically state the order of new themes in the End Credits suite, when he was gushing about the TFA score pre-release?

yeah i remember seeing that link somewhere else but i never looked into it...I thought it was clickbait or something. At that time there were soo many fake articles about star wars shit that it was hard to know what was real or not. 

Do you know why it's only used in the first half of the film? In my opinion i think it may be because the film gets much darker and its a light and fun theme, but then again I feel like williams would be able to find a way to use it/not make a character theme that doesn't have depth? I'm sure he will expand on it if he does ep 8/9 but it's weird to me that we don't hear it post rathars. 

11 minutes ago, JacksonElmore said:

Do you know why it's only used in the first half of the film? In my opinion i think it may be because the film gets much darker and its a light and fun theme, but then again I feel like williams would be able to find a way to use it/not make a character theme that doesn't have depth? I'm sure he will expand on it if he does ep 8/9 but it's weird to me that we don't hear it post rathars. 

Spoiler

Agree with this. Finn also changes quite a lot in the second half of the film, after deciding to abandon Rey at Maz's Castle. The theme is very clever in how it represents Finn's schizophrenic personality in the first half, but as the film darkens and he becomes more heroic with his rescue of Rey, it's less appropriate to use that theme. It would be very out of place in his lightsaber fight or when he's near-fatally wounded.

The final shot as Rey kisses him on the forehead and promises to see him again could only be scored with Rey's Theme, IMHO.

Spoiler text because it's not the TFA thread.

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler text because it's not the TFA thread.

Oh yeah, forgot this was supposed to be BFG theme discussion

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I still like the theory put forth on Star Wars Oxygen that it's a new theme for the Falcon. Name a time when it's used and the Falcon isn't on screen :D

I could be an ass and say that it isn't on screen during follow me until the very end?

4 minutes ago, JacksonElmore said:

I could be an ass and say that it isn't on screen during follow me until the very end?

I take issue with your use of evidence. Hardly seems fair! :D

In all seriousness, I do think of it more as a great new Star Wars action motif than a character theme, taking its rightful place on the shelf next to The Asteroid Field and The Forest Battle.  I just thought the argument from David Collins on the Oxygen podcast was a good one!  And I do refer to it as The Falcon in my head since I associate it more with that track than "Follow Me"

Much like with Leia's Theme, Han Solo and The Princess, and Marion's Theme from Raiders, I find that often when I try to hum that main Forest Battle melody I end up humming the music from the chase sequence at the beginning of Last Crusade instead or vice versa!

5 hours ago, JacksonElmore said:

Man I get excited every single time I hear the ending minute of the forest battle. It's so jolly. I can imagine it just bringing down the house In a live performance 

Yes, there was a time a couple years ago, back when I was a pretty new JW fan (and had not yet discovered these forums) that I was captivated by that ending - I remember I would play it repeatedly, over and over and over again.

there's too many false endings in that track

nah

it builds anticipation and it ends perfectly. Keeps you on your toes, perfect for an action track

If he ended Princess Leia's theme like that it would be a different story

Yes the false endings in that track are amazing, the best use of false endings ever

After seeing the film a couple of notes on the themes:

To my mind the Sophie/The BFG Friendship theme seemed to relate almost exclusively to the BFG himself and his work in delivering the dreams to people. Sophie's theme has those two parts, the lonelier one which forms the ending half of the full theme and the optimistic opening half (heard e.g. in the Overture) which seems to emerge stronger as she embraces her friendship with the BFG.

Unknown Theme #2 (Lonliness/Orphanage Theme?)
02 The Witching Hour 2:50-3:56
13 There Was A Boy 2:00-2:29

This one does indeed seem to be a theme for Sophie's loneliness and her sorrow for being at the orphanage.

The little lilting piano idea found in below moments is a small motif for the boy that BFG took home but who was eaten by the giants and appears when Sophie first finds the boy's abode in the tree hollow and the second time when she sees the drawings and gets her idea to call the queen for help.
15 The Boy's Drawings 0:58-1:06
15 The Boy's Drawings 2:49-2:55

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me if this is mentioned elsewhere in the thread (I didn't see it with a cursory skim) but shouldn't there be an instance of the main theme listed for "Dream Country" from 6:21-6:28?  It's a short but clear quote of the beginning of the main theme, right?

Man this score has grown on me.  I mean, not to the degree which TFA grew on me this past January but I do like BFG more with each listen.  I went like 10 days without listening to it at all and when I returned to it today I was struck by how much I liked it.

• 1 year later...
On 7/25/2016 at 12:39 PM, Disco Stu said:

Man this score has grown on me.  I mean, not to the degree which TFA grew on me this past January but I do like BFG more with each listen.  I went like 10 days without listening to it at all and when I returned to it today I was struck by how much I liked it.

It's quite pleasant, just not particularly compelling. But rest assured, it doesn't need to be, especially given the film in question.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I regenerated at the end of 2017

Like a lobster shedding his exoskeleton and growing a new and bigger one?

On 25.7.2016 at 7:39 PM, Disco Stu said:

Man this score has grown on me.

Me too, and I just bought the soundtrack before it goes OOP.

11 hours ago, filmmusic said:

OK, I watchecd the film for the first time yesterday (among my worst Spielberg films along with 1941 and Indy 4) and then I watched it again today taking notes about the themes.

After seeing the film(first time for me it was terrible, second time actually quite nice) how do you like the score, did it make it easier to understand why it is like it is?

I really love this score now. In Chicago concert it was definitely a (surprise)highlight for me. With A New Beginning and Jane Eyre.

Still no news on the FYC...it's incredible how we see hundreds of copies of Lincoln or TFA FYC on Ebay but absolutely nothing for the BFG.

• 2 years later...

Back to the topic. In the BFG score there is this soft theme later in the film which is probably the mentioned "family theme". I thought, it sounds like a shadow of "song for world peace". Anyone else that impression?