Universal Fanfare Showdown - Horner v. Goldsmith

Disco Stu

Universal Fanfare Showdown - Horner v. Goldsmith  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which Universal fanfare do you prefer?

Goldsmith wins for me. That's not to slight Horner's effort, which I would agree is magical...it really makes me feel good to hear it. But Goldsmith's version has a perfect, inevitable simplicity to it. I love everything about it - the majestic horn soli, the beautiful noodling up above, the punchy brass and percussion, the absolutely glorious introduction of the whole orchestra, and the perfect recapitulation of the opening fanfare. It may be my favorite logo cue, period...though there's a lot of great competition.

18 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'll admit that 75% of the reason I prefer Horner's is because it opens Back to the Future Part III, one of my most watched childhood VHS tapes.

Well, Goldsmith's opens The Lost World: Jurassic Park, one of my most-watched childhood VHS tapes and favorite movies of all time, but that doesn't change anything.

This forum prefers Goldsmith's, but I respectfully disagree. Horner's has been one of my favorite pieces of music since I was a little squirt. I recorded it on a cassette tape with my Talkboy from Home Alone 2 using the Back to the Future Part III VHS tape cranking through our old Pioneer stereo system.

You mean the one that kinda sounds like sail barge assault?

I like both, probably go with Gsmithy though. 

I'm a 90's kid as well, but I have had more fond memories of Goldsmith's fanfare, so JG for me.

Plus Horner's fanfare sounds jarring when the film is a thriller or horror. It only sounds good if it's put on a family-friendly film.

4 hours ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Well, Goldsmith's opens The Lost World: Jurassic Park, one of my most-watched childhood VHS tapes and favorite movies of all time, but that doesn't change anything.

This forum prefers Goldsmith's, but I respectfully disagree. Horner's has been one of my favorite pieces of music since I was a little squirt. I recorded it on a cassette tape with my Talkboy from Home Alone 2 using the Back to the Future Part III VHS tape cranking through our old Pioneer stereo system.

I just ordered the blu ray of that concert from Varese Sarabande. I am so excited to see that amazing program at full HD quality (as opposed to the "just ok" Youtube clips I've been watching for years).

On 8.7.2016 at 8:07 AM, crocodile said:

Horner. It has this magical and whimsical "we're at the movies" (as Terry Gilliam once pit it) vibe. Goldsmith's is great but it feels like it could be used for anything - sport event, coronation ceremony. Doesn't feel specific enough.

You make a very good point. But I still like Goldsmith's better (although I do like the Horner a lot).

• 3 years later...
On 7/8/2016 at 7:07 AM, crocodile said:

Horner. It has this magical and whimsical "we're at the movies" (as Terry Gilliam once pit it) vibe. Goldsmith's is great but it feels like it could be used for anything - sport event, coronation ceremony. Doesn't feel specific enough.

Karol

This.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm bumping this to maybe gauge how members who weren't here in 2016 feel

I had no idea until I saw this thread just now that those logos were composed by Horner and Goldsmith! Somehow, it never occurred to me to wonder who wrote them.

The Horner one really belongs to the Spielberg era and doesn't fit with a lot of Universal movies thereafter, nice as it is. Goldsmith in AFO-mode is OK, but i could do without it for a few years.

37 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Did you know John Williams composed the Dreamworks logo music? I was blown away when I learned that.

That one I knew. Along with amblin, of course. 

The Goldsmith logo does remind me of First Knight and the ending of Soarin' Over California when you fly over Disneyland. I have a certain nostalgic attachment to it because it premiered (I think?) in front of one of my favorite movies, The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

However, the Horner logo is just the best.

The weird thing about Horner's logo is that it always sounded like it cut off prematurely, including in front of BTTF 3, and I believe it did. I've heard at least one version that is the complete recording.

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

One premiered with BTTF3, the other with Lost World.  Pretty cool!

Fittingly, Brian Tyler's awful arrangement of Goldsmith's premiered with forgotten pap, The Lorax.

Funnily enough, I think Tyler's short live Marvel theme was really good and memorable. But his 'update' of the Universal theme is just OTT - the choir and percussion ruin it for me.