Universal Fanfare Showdown - Horner v. Goldsmith

Disco Stu

Universal Fanfare Showdown - Horner v. Goldsmith  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which Universal fanfare do you prefer?

On 7/9/2016 at 4:28 AM, Disco Stu said:

I just ordered the blu ray of that concert from Varese Sarabande. I am so excited to see that amazing program at full HD quality (as opposed to the "just ok" Youtube clips I've been watching for years).

Then you can fast-forward the fanfare!

I prefer Horner because of his use of a magical lydian mode and the ending oscillation between G A major triads plus and glittering textures, he emphasizes adventure and awe...story and movie magic whereas Goldsmith's emphasis is on bravado.  That's fine for an action film but Horner's fits movies in general.

1 hour ago, karelm said:

but Horner's fits movies in general.

Which ones? I don't know which Universal movies you're watching but neither the endless supply of F&F moves nor loud fantasy movies of the Huntsman variety function well with this twinkly approach.

1 hour ago, ATXHusker said:

What about option C?  Brian Tyler's take from 2012?  I voted for Goldsmith but I like this rendition as well.

The moderators would have to pry this thread from my cold dead hands before I add Tyler to the poll!!!

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

just re-arranged Goldsmith's.

That's putting it mildly.

17 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

And it's not even the best arrangement of Goldsmith's fanfare. This one is:

But probably the worst.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Tyler didn't write a new theme, anyway. He (or one of his collaborators) just re-arranged Goldsmith's.

Never said he wrote a new theme.  Also said I voted for Goldsmith.  Whether you like Tyler’s version or not, it does exist.  Like they say, opinions are like ass holes, everyone’s got one.

I've never warmed to Goldsmith's fanfare, and find it a little boring. Then again, I've never warmed to Goldsmith in general with some exceptions. 

I always thought it strange that TLW opened with the logo music and not pure sound effects, like the jungle sounds over the studio logo for Jurassic Park.

My theory is the reason for the extended black screen at the very start of the film is because originally the new logo played silently over that just like the first film, but the studio asked for Goldsmith's fanfare to be included for the new logo's premiere appearance. But SS wanted the SFX build-up before the first shot, just like JP, so this was the compromise.