Complete "Breaking of the Fellowship" NZSO

Gollum Cat

Sorry to start a new thread if this is addressed elsewhere - but does there exist a complete version of the Breaking of the Fellowship cue performed by the NZSO? I know much of it was in the extended Fan Credits for FOTR, as well as the Andrew Lesnie tribute.

IIRC those are the only two places it's leaked, though @Fennel Ka would know better than I.

No need to apologize for starting a new thread; that's the whole point of this place!

There are a few appearances un the LOTR appendices but I have not gone through them paying attention those appearances

Did Doug clarify why this wasn't included on the Rarities Archive? I think the previous logic was that it could be ripped off the fan club credits, but obviously that was before we were aware the piece was a good bit longer.

19 minutes ago, Barnald said:

Did Doug clarify why this wasn't included on the Rarities Archive? I think the previous logic was that it could be ripped off the fan club credits, but obviously that was before we were aware the piece was a good bit longer.

I think you answered your own question

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Such a stunning piece that always feels at least a few minutes shorter than it deserves to be -- now I know why!

This means the end of the film used to have 2 whole more minutes of stuff happening before the credits rolled; I wonder what?

15 minutes ago, Barnald said:

That was the logic.  I don't think the existence of the longer version was known at the time.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

This means the end of the film used to have 2 whole more minutes of stuff happening before the credits rolled; I wonder what?

I'm not sure if this was actually recorded to picture, but the April 2001 cut would in all likelihood have been less tight than the release cut (hence the numerous trims in the Moria compositions).

1 minute ago, Jim Ware said:

That was the logic.  I don't think the existence of the longer version was known at the time.

I don't understand this.  Howard Shore wrote and recorded it; Of course he was aware of its existence :P

Do you mean the session element of the full take had gone missing?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I don't understand this.  Howard Shore wrote and recorded it; Of course he was aware of its existence :P

Do you mean the session element of the full take had gone missing?

No - I'm sure that the session elements are fine.  With the sheer quantity of material to be reviewed when curating the rarities archive it was probably just overlooked.

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

I just did a quick comparison of the alternate cue (the 6:42 we do have) with the final film and there's a few key differences. Frodo standing in solitude on the beach is brilliantly unscored in the final film but Shore clearly wrote music to accompany all of that in the alternate. Presumably the other missing two minutes accompanied Boromir's death, because there's no obvious microedits in the music we do have. Was that scene included in the LOTR reel which this music accompanied?

I'd be very interested to see the alternate cue matched up to vision of the final film; would provide a great indication as to what footage was removed (probably a few shots here and there to tighten the cut). There's enough similarities between the early and final versions of the cue to line things up, IMHO.

13 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

No - I'm sure that the session elements are fine.  With the sheer quantity of material to be reviewed when curating the rarities archive it was probably just overlooked.

I don't think it was overlooked when assembling the rarities; I'm sure given the choice between including this 8 1/2 minute track (6:42 of which we already have via the DVD/BD) or 8 1/2 minutes of music we've never heard, the choice was obvious.

Of course, if the rarities could have been 2 discs instead of 1, it would have been a must-have track!

I did a little editing test and matched the Breaking of the Fellowship alternate to the final film. Incredibly, it fits almost perfectly. 

The only footage edit I had to make was a 10 second extension to shots of Aragorn watching Frodo & Sam reach the opposite shore and head into the forest. It's remarkable how little Jackson changed this film's ending throughout months of post-production; just imagine if this were a Hobbit film!

I don't know how to embed video clips from VidMe (never used it before) so hopefully this link works:

https://vid.me/AuAU

7 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

You know, I usually am a polite fella, but ...

WHAT THE FUCK?

This isn't an obscure cue alternate for Pippin and the apple that nobody ever heard or would miss, this is a MAJOR alternate of THE MAJOR scene in FotR, and people HAVE heard it, and WERE expecting it. The simplest logic dictates to go to the centerpieces of the films, and see if there are worthy alternates. 

I don't believe for a moment that it was just "overlooked", when there was a conscious decision made, as stated repeatedly, to not include the edited version.

It was probably overlooked in the Same way the intact edits on FotR CR were artistic decisions.

Shore doesn't just "forget" these things. 

Personally, I only ever care about an alternate if it's a radically different composition for the same scene (e.g., the first version of "Binary Sunset"), but other than that they're the tracks I never play on expanded releases. Glad others enjoy them!

I somewhat share Gyver's sentiment - this is a major alternate for a pivotal scene - certainly more different and notable than some cues that were included on TRA.

If they were going with cues that had never been heard before, ok, but if there's a version with several minutes' more music, I'd say it would've been a perfect way to close the CD!

Should we feel 'entitled'? Well, last time I looked, most people here really want the prequel sessions, which I'd imagine is hours of music and zillions of alternates. I think we have the right to dream about what a LotR session leak might be like.

Gkgyver - again, facing a choice between 8 1/2 minutes of something we already had 80% of vs 8 1/2 minutes of music completely new to us, they absolutely made the correct choice.

And, again, surely if they had given us 2CDs instead of one, it would have been a no brainer on that type of release. But they only had one, and made the right choices.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

last time I looked, most people here really want the prequel sessions, which I'd imagine is hours of music and zillions of alternates.

You're wrong. TPM had three inserts, AOTC had three, and ROTS had one I think. Williams didn't do a lot of revising on those films; he had to move on to other projects, and GL just tracked music to get the tone he wanted.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Gkgyver - again, facing a choice between 8 1/2 minutes of something we already had 80% of vs 8 1/2 minutes of music completely new to us, they absolutely made the correct choice.

And, again, surely if they had given us 2CDs instead of one, it would have been a no brainer on that type of release. But they only had one, and made the right choices.

You're wrong. TPM had three inserts, AOTC had three, and ROTS had one I think. Williams didn't do a lot of revising on those films; he had to move on to other projects, and GL just tracked music to get the tone he wanted.

Is it really that comfortable for you to support the assumption they obviously made in that case, that people buying this stuff are not only few, but utter geeks who ripped the piece from DVD Ages ago, instead of treating it as a legit, widely popular release consumed by people

who want to hear proper mastering and CD tracks, which always was said to be the intention?

What's everyone's opinion on Shore's unused opening minute or so of the cue? Gives it a drastically different feeling to the poignant silence in the final film (which I probably prefer), yet works wonderfully in its own way. That beautiful theme (I'm not a scholar on these scores, so I don't know what it's called) during the long dolly-in shot of Frodo is just dripping with sadness, giving such emotional weight to Frodo's decision.

8 hours ago, gkgyver said:

You know, I usually am a polite fella, but ...

WHAT THE FUCK?

Eight and a half minutes is a lot of disc space to sacrifice for something that is already available in some form, especially considering the sheer quantity of other previously unheard material.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Regardless, wouldn't you be disappointed if there was a re-release with alternates, which omitted a key revision? Heck, you were commenting on Varese leaving the original 'Klendathu Drop' off ST. In that case, you've got the track already on your OST! You can't make that argument, and then criticise others for wanting an alternate of equal magnitude.

In this case, clearly there were capacity considerations, but that should not remove from the argument that this alternate cue would have been a very worthy and important inclusion.

On 15/07/2016 at 7:50 AM, Richard Penna said:

Regardless, wouldn't you be disappointed if there was a re-release with alternates, which omitted a key revision? Heck, you were commenting on Varese leaving the original 'Klendathu Drop' off ST. In that case, you've got the track already on your OST! You can't make that argument, and then criticise others for wanting an alternate of equal magnitude.

In this case, clearly there were capacity considerations, but that should not remove from the argument that this alternate cue would have been a very worthy and important inclusion.

The Rarities disc was packed to the brim; There was simply no room to add another 8 1/2 minutes track.

The Starship Troopers set runs 104 minutes total; They had 56 minutes of empty space they could have filled up with the original OST + all the other alternates they didn't include at all + the source cues Basil recorded, but they chose not to.  Two complete different scenarios; It's apples and oranges

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

What are you talking about?  The Rarities disc was packed to the brim; There was simply no room to add another 8 1/2 minutes track.

Exactly.  Had the rarities been released on a format with a higher capacity as originally suggested, I'm sure that this and other compositions could have been included.

Even if that had been the case people would still be complaining. ;)

23 hours ago, crumbs said:

Had the CR been done with out tracking in the first place there would have been more room on the rarities too

That's not true; There is no rarities track that repeats a FOTR track only with tracking removed.

Jay has the right idea with that 4-disc set. It's been what, 10 years now since the CR was released? That seems long enough to avoid complaints.

To be honest, I can understand this composition not being included, but I'm more intrigued by the idea that its existence in the longer form may have been unknown for some time. Makes you wonder if anything else might have turned up in the meantime...

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's not true; There is no rarities track that repeats a FOTR track only with tracking removed.

The Uruk-Hai is just Fighting Uruk-Hai without the intro edited out, To Rivendell theatrical could have bee edited down like other rarities tracks were if it were'nt for the music that was edited out of the CR

19 minutes ago, Barnald said:

Jay has the right idea with that 4-disc set. It's been what, 10 years now since the CR was released? That seems long enough to avoid complaints.

To be honest, I can understand this composition not being included, but I'm more intrigued by the idea that its existence in the longer form may have been unknown for some time. Makes you wonder if anything else might have turned up in the meantime...

@Fennel Ka has found so many amazing alternates digging through all the DVD, Blu Rays, games, etc etc that I have to think most things have been heard, but I'm sure a future set could include a few surprises even for those who follow all that, and for everyone else there will be tons of stuff unheard to enjoy on CD properly, it would be great!

6 minutes ago, Fennel Ka said:

The Uruk-Hai is just Fighting Uruk-Hai without the intro edited out, To Rivendell theatrical could have bee edited down like other rarities tracks were if it were'nt for the music that was edited out of the CR

It is a shame that opening Uruk Hai music wasn't on the CR.... I mean, its not really an alternate, just a section of music dialed out of the film that the CR didn't restore.

8 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

Eight and a half minutes is a lot of disc space to sacrifice for something that is already available in some form, especially considering the sheer quantity of other previously unheard material.

Yeah, well, there is Sammath Naur, and last time I checked, half of it, if not more, was already on album and CR.

Anduril is another example where much of it was already out.

That is no proper excuse.

Also, the sheer quantity of other unheard material sure made its presence known in not very large amounts, especially Fellowship. I find that a remarkably inconsiderate remark, given that the CR is what it is, and that the rarities are crammed as hell.

It was not smart from the beginning to have one CD for mockups AND alternates AND an interview, for what was supposed to give a lot of background for 12 hours of music.

There really are not that many true alternates, mostly overlay differences and theatrical versions

Sure, but a disc dedicated to FOTR alternates could be a very solid listening experience, almost like an alternate universe version of an OST program.  And if they did it right, they could make it so you could swap any alternate you prefer over the other version by just swapping tracks in your digital playlist.

I'm not a fan of the some of the decisions made on FOTR of combining several cues into long tracks - especially "Keep It Secret Keep It Safe", "A Conspiracy Unmasked", and "Balin's Tomb"

I would hope a future release could consider only combining cues together that are also connected in the film.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I mean, the best example of that is putting the signature Fellowship theme performance at the end of "Gilraen's Memorial", right?  I'd have broken those cues up differently at least.

Yea, I would have put the Legolas / Gilraen scene as its own track, and then the Mithril / Fellowship Departing scene as its own track.

Then on the bonus disc, the Mithril / Fellowship Departing track would be even shorter without that EE extension in the middle.