John Williams scored trailer for DCEU's Man Of Steel 2 (Batman V Superman)

TheUlyssesian

The current Superman seems by all accounts a mentally fragile depressed downer borderline case. Would he seem more heroic, optimistic and inspiring when accompanied by John Williams Superman score? You decide.

Christopher Reeve: "I owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to John Williams. Without his music, Superman's powers are greatly diminished. Believe me, if you try to fly without that theme, you go nowhere."

I have little opinion on the films themselves, but it is possible to make purely aesthetic judgements without thinking about the exact quality of the things involved, and that's what I did.

Point is, I don't care if you think Snyder is the worst thing to happen to cinema in a century, nor if you think that Williams can do no wrong and memorable tunes escape from his arse as he sits on the crapper.

There is a reason that film music is different than it was 40 years ago: the films themselves are bloody different.  Composers who resist this, when the films themselves don't, are foolish. To try and force two things together from radically different ages, as is done here, and to expect them to co-exist easily... well... we've all seen Jurassic Park.

And all for what?  Nothing more than to provide masturbation fuel for the zombified anti-Zimmer brigade, I suspect. 

If anything about the OP video rings true in your brain, well, I'll pray for you.

On 7/17/2016 at 0:48 AM, TheWhiteRider said:

I have little opinion on the films themselves, but it is possible to make purely aesthetic judgements without thinking about the exact quality of the things involved, and that's what I did.

Point is, I don't care if you think Snyder is the worst thing to happen to cinema in a century, nor if you think that Williams can do no wrong and memorable tunes escape from his arse as he sits on the crapper.

There is a reason that film music is different than it was 40 years ago: the films themselves are bloody different.  Composers who resist this, when the films themselves don't, are foolish. To try and force two things together from radically different ages, as is done here, and to expect them to co-exist easily... well... we've all seen Jurassic Park.

And all for what?  Nothing more than to provide masturbation fuel for the zombified anti-Zimmer brigade, I suspect. 

If anything about the OP video rings true in your brain, well, I'll pray for you.

But there's room for writing intelligent music that doesn't sound like something out of the 70s (or earlier).  Even if you want to hand-wave away Williams' ongoing contributions as belonging to a different era, Shore, Mansell, and even Zimmer when he's not working in the superhero genre, just to start with, have continued to write excellent music that suit the films they're writing for without sacrificing subtlety, emotion, or skill.  Scores like Edge of Darkness, Black Swan, or Sherlock Holmes would have been unimaginable even twenty years ago, but they're crafted with the same intricacy as scores from the past.

As for your other points, I do think Snyder is a blight on cinema (although there are worse directors), but there are Williams scores I very much dislike.  I didn't find Jurassic Park's score at all out of place, even if I don't think it compares particularly well to most Williams scores.

It was an amateurishly made trailer, but I suppose some of the imagery wasn't too detached from the sounds. All it does is demonstrate that Superman has moved on from old Hollywood sensibilities.

14 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

It was an amateurishly made trailer, but I suppose some of the imagery wasn't too detached from the sounds. All it does is demonstrate that Superman has moved on from old Hollywood sensibilities.

Well I humbly do accept that I am an amateur. It was just an attempt by me to show Williams' music could potentially redeem anything.

Superman in Snyder's films is a cold reptilian alien, void of love and wonder. Williams' score is the exact opposite of that and therefore makes me want to watch the Donner films again and listen to the scores again and promptly purge my thoughts of the dystopian Superman from Man of Steel.