LOST IN SPACE (2018) includes cameo of Williams' theme

chrispappas

Looks like any other random generic slick sci-fi show out there, including Discovery, and as such completely unintersting.

Also, trying to do it without the humour, including a buffoonish Dr. Smith trading barbs with the robot for comedic relief, seems to me to entirely miss the point. 

On the other hand, that new Karate Kid series coming up? That one looks mighty fine.

Watched the new trailer without sound. How was the music? Was it generic trailer stuff or actual underscore?

Looks super expensive for a streaming show. Very excited for this now.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

Also, trying to do it without the humour, including a buffoonish Dr. Smith trading barbs with the robot for comedic relief, seems to me to entirely miss the point. 

Yes, because copying the silly, goofball camp value of the original series would ensure such a hit, right?

I am personally thankful they've basically just retained the premise of the original show, but then taken it in a completely different, more serious direction. The only value of the original show is the hilarious kitch value, Ed Wood-style. It was a very, very bad show that got increasingly worse in later seasons.

45 minutes ago, Thor said:

The only value of the original show is the hilarious kitch value, Ed Wood-style.

So?  Just doing that would make it different than almost any other sci-fi on TV. And certainly more original than the generic, slick sci-fi bore that it looks like its going to be. 

And your finding zero value in Johnny William's delightful music is noted.

50 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

And your finding zero value in Johnny William's delightful music is noted.

Exactly where did I comment on Williams' music? Also, "delightful" isn't the word I would use, but it's very intriguing, and several leagues above the visuals it's accompanying.

The show is pure trash, except for a few episodes early on in season 1 that at least touch on something promising. Trying to recreate the tone and style of the original series wouldn't only be commercial suicide, it would also be pointless. Interestingly, as I watched the original series, I frequently thought to myself -- it's such a cool premise; I just wish it had been executed better and more seriously. Thankfully, now that seems to happen.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

Exactly where did I comment on Williams' music?

Well it sounds like you found no value in it...

1 hour ago, Thor said:

The only value of the original show is the hilarious kitch value, Ed Wood-style.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

The show is pure trash

Of course the show's trash. Trashy enough that it's still beloved decades later, and has spawned at least one movie and now a TV series. Clearly it struck a chord and did something right.

I just think stripping everything that made the show unique to make another generic sci-fi show sort of misses the point.  Though I do agree with you that the show's premise clearly had more promise than they were ever able to explore.  I think they should able to do that and still keep some of the camp value that made it so much fun.

Well, I disagree. Then again, I hate camp -- whether deliberate or not. I prefer my sci fi to take itself extremely seriously. If anything required a proper reboot (in these reboot times), it's LOST IN SPACE.

You must live a rather dull and humourless existence to hate anything containing camp.

In fact, many films from the Hollywood Golden Age are considered "camp", but they're definitely not bad by any stretch.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

The show is pure trash, except for a few episodes early on in season 1 that at least touch on something promising. Trying to recreate the tone and style of the original series wouldn't only be commercial suicide, it would also be pointless. Interestingly, as I watched the original series, I frequently thought to myself -- it's such a cool premise; I just wish it had been executed better and more seriously. Thankfully, now that seems to happen.

It's very much a product of it's time. It's highly unlikely the modern palate would tolerate a replica of the original's tone (aside from the nostalgia lovers). So from a commercial perspective this approach appears to be the correct one. Time will tell.

I actually enjoyed the 1998 film, apart from the really rushed and poor CGI based vfx (especially that space monkey dragon and Spider Smith). Love the Broughton score and the overall story, good cast too (LeBlanc was okay, not great).

It's a bit silly, but I see it more as pastiche and an ode to GODZILLA. At most, I could go with 'pulp' as a description.

I actually have a nostalgic connection to Irwin Allen's TIME TUNNEL, as I saw a few episodes on Super Channel back in the mid 80s. It's not as camp as LIS or LAND OF THE GIANTS, which was reinforced when I visited it as an adult, a few years ago. Especially the first episode is quite cool.

Meanwhile, feast your eyes on the glorious LOST IN SPACE episode that is "The Vegetable Rebellion"....LOL:

On 08/03/2018 at 7:10 PM, Nick1066 said:

They are taking the humour out of a sci-fi concept that used to have it? Seriously?!?

My interest just dropped significantly. I like an upbeat sense of fun!

3 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

They are taking the humour out of a sci-fi concept that used to have it? Seriously?!?

Yes, unfortunately they sucked it out of this and pasted it into The Last Jedi.

18 hours ago, Thor said:

Meh. Fun is overrated.

It cannot be! :blink:

(Unless it's taken over-the-top; then it can.)

15 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Yes, unfortunately they sucked it out of this and pasted it into The Last Jedi.

I did like The Last Jedi, but I'd rather they have averaged it out over both.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, reviews generally come out before the release date of new films and shows.  You never noticed before?

On 4/2/2018 at 2:37 PM, JTWfan77 said:

Really Jay?

I don't understand what you mean.

EDIT: And now you've added to your post making my reply seem silly

It's Netflix. Do they send screener copies out to review sites? Like burned to DVD-R or something?

Of course they don't burn episodes to DVDR and snail mail them out to reviewers.  They email them a link to a private, monitored, watermarked digital stream.

Listening to the soundtrack now. It's all big and rambunctious and traditionally orchestral (so I'm sure it will please the 'reactionary crowd'), but it doesn't do much for me, I'm afraid. Kinda directionless bombast, like a Giacchino score (but slightly better). Could be because I don't gravitate very much towards that kind of score anymore, I don't know. Some of the more lowkey tracks are fine, though. So far, I can hear no references to Williams' theme or themes beyond the brief cameo in the title sequence.