Michael Giacchino's new MARVEL STUDIOS Logo Music

Cool. I also wonder if it's indicative of his sound for Doctor Strange. I always thought Tyler's was very reminiscent of (or at least stylistically similar to)  his Thor: Dark World theme that it debuted with. 

Silvestri never wrote Marvel Studios logo music (although his Avengers and Captain America themes are the best Marvel music yet written).   Brian Tyler wrote a fanfare that was 98 percent identical to his theme for Thor 2 (with which said fanfare debuted), and if I'm not mistaken, the only other film to open with it was Guardians of the Galaxy (maybe Ant-Man, too).

But this is absolutely stellar!  It's optimistic, memorable, wondrous, fist-pumping, old-school—absolutely everything a JWFan should want in a superhero studio logo.  It manages to sum-up the "culture" of the MCU perfectly.  It's even got a sort of A-B structure to it.  Lesser composers have built entire superhero scores out of less melodic material than is contained in these 36 seconds.  And to my untrained ear, even the recording sounds somehow "classic."  (If I knew what I was talking about, I'd say something about reverb here.)  Dr. Strange can't come fast enough for my money.

1 hour ago, igger6 said:

absolutely everything a JWFan should want in a superhero studio logo.  

"Should?"

I didn't realize we had a new Minister of Acceptable Taste!

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I still wonder what the hell happened on Age Of Ultron!

Hollywood happened!

Oh, by the way, Tyler's fanfare was better. It didn't need changing.

Karol

You can't pigeon hole me!! 

(although I do like the new fanfare just fine, and I'm sure I'll only like it more after actually seeing it in front of a few films) 

I just mean it possesses some characteristics that those who enjoy JW's most melodic and fist-pumping material might also find appealing.  But I accept the title and look forward to settling thousands of disputes per hour on these boards. B-)

Wow! I like this better than Tyler's. Love the woodwinds at the beginning and the rhythm heard for instance from :07 to :09. When we finally hear the main fanfare it seems a little generic but everything around it is top notch. Really gets you excited to see a movie. Tyler seemed to be going for more of an "epic" feel but I prefer the excitement of Giacchino's.

By the way Giacchino said in the Comic Con live stream that the reason he couldn't conduct the Beyond premiere himself was that he was working on Doctor Strange and thus didn't have time to prepare. 

Since 2012 he's only scored sequels to films he scored prior entries in, other than randomly scoring Pan (which must have netted I'm a nice payday).

It'd be great if he scored a SW spin-off but I don't know if he'd actually be interested or not. He seems to have different priorities since his wife got really sick.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

It's a sweet piece, except I can't remember any of it after 3-4 listens.

Karol

You're right, it's not too memorable. But I don't really care. Is Tyler's all that memorable anyway?

I am definitely much more excited for an upcoming spate of Marvel films scored by Alan Silvestri, Michael Giacchino, and Christophe Beck than I would be if we were looking at 3 years of Brian Tyler and Henry Jackman.  Although there are no composer announcements for Black Panther or Captain Marvel at this point.  I am very curious who will be scoring Thor: Ragnarok since Tyler seems to be persona non grata with Marvel now.

17 minutes ago, Will said:

You're right, it's not too memorable. But I don't really care. Is Tyler's all that memorable anyway?

I will say I can hum that Tyler fanfare off the top of my head right now and I can't do the same with Giacchino's despite having listened to it like 5 times in the past 24 hours.  But I do really like Giacchino's!  And like I said above, it might seem more memorable after I've seen it in the theater a few times.

I don't think there's been any developments or announcements since it appeared on his website/IMDB.  I'm taking the blind optimist's approach and assuming it's happening.

It just dawned on me why it was the right time for Marvel to get a new logo.

The previous logo showed pages from the comics as a way to tie the film into the existing world they had been known for for decades.

Now they are 14 films into their own movies, and the new logo reflects that history.  Plus, there was recently some shuffle at Disney where Fiege's movie branch is now completely separate from the Marvel comics branch, so this is another way to separate it.

Also, Doctor Strange seems to be relatively unconnected to the existing universe at least to start, so opening the film with a logo that shows scenes from all the other films helps connect it right away.

New fanfare sounds alright. Well orchestrated at least. Pretty conventional, and the tune doesn't stick too much, but Tyler's was never anything to celebrate either.

13 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

It's ok.  Rather cliched in its harmonic language.  Which would be more acceptable if the "tune" were stronger in its contours.

You sound insufferable. 

45 minutes ago, KK said:

New fanfare sounds alright. Well orchestrated at least. Pretty conventional, and the tune doesn't stick too much, but Tyler's was never anything to celebrate either.

People don't usually don't hold parties for film music anyway. 

21 hours ago, crocodile said:

Hollywood happened!

Oh, by the way, Tyler's fanfare was better. It didn't need changing.

Karol

It sounds like anything else Tyler has done. Iron man 3, Thor, ninja turtles...sounds all the same to me! It's good in film context but if I put a few of his albums in a playlist and set it on shuffle I probably couldn't tell you what was what without looking. 

Just listenedto to the new one, I like it. The fast brass movements are impressive and the big part at the end was pretty cool. 

I know it was only for the specific film, but I really liked Henry jackmans logo music for civil war. 

1 hour ago, Blumenkohl said:

You sound insufferable. 

That's the point.  I don't really care, it's petty retaliation in the form of slightly irksome dissent.  

It isn't crazy to expect a less stepwise idea for a fanfare, though. 

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Does he have kids? He might be a single parent now too.

He does and he is.  His commitment to taking on only the most worthwhile projects will now be even stronger.  

On 25-7-2016 at 1:14 PM, Brónach said:

Is it so hard to get Powell on Marvel?

Powell has said he doesn't want to score any movies where the hero resolves his problems through violence anymore. 

So yeah, that pretty much rules out every superhero movie ever.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Powell has said he doesn't want to score any movies where the hero resolves his problems through violence anymore. 

Link?

• 1 month later...