Jason Bourne (Paul Greengrass/John Powell)

Thor

I can't wait for that moment when the white collar lackey in the CIA control room gets to say "That's Jason Bourne" as they look dumbfounded/scared/impressed at a surveillance image.  My favorite moment from any Bourne movie :P

Also the moment when the lackey has to tell a CIA boss person that they lost Bourne.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I can't wait for that moment when the white collar lackey in the CIA control room gets to say "That's Jason Bourne" as they look dumbfounded/scared/impressed at a surveillance image.  My favorite moment from any Bourne movie :P

Also the moment when the lackey has to tell a CIA boss person that they lost Bourne.

Well that first moment happens, but it's not as big a deal in this movie. The second moment doesn't really happen in this movie. Drones and smartphones seem to have removed Bourne's ability to disappear these days.

Just got back from seeing it. Its narrative shortcomings were made up for by Greengrass' amazing suspenseful action setpieces. He's one of today's modern masters of action filmmaking and it was a joy to watch! 

Saw this a couple nights ago; it's the first Bourne I've seen. It was great. I tend to really like espionage flicks (James Bond, Mission Impossible, etc.) and this one was no exception. The action was terrific. For instance, I loved the Athens riot set piece, where it's late at night and everyone is sneaking, and later speeding, through the crowds. 

24 minutes ago, Will said:

Saw this a couple nights ago; it's the first Bourne I've seen. It was great. I tend to really like espionage flicks (James Bond, Mission Impossible, etc.) and this one was no exception. The action was terrific. For instance, I loved the Athens riot set piece, where it's late at night and everyone is sneaking, and later speeding, through the crowds. 

I highly recommend Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy from a few years ago.  An absolutely brilliant Cold War espionage movie that approaches the subject more realistically/intellectually and less action-oriented.  The plot can be tricky to follow so I suggest using subtitles if you do watch it. It starred Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, John Hurt, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hardy, Toby Jones, basically all the British actors.

If you watch and like it, you really can't go wrong with film adaptations of John le Carre novels, he's the master of realistic espionage.

I really like Tomas Alfredsson as a director and Gary Oldman is one of my alltime favourite actors, but for some reason, TINKOR, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY -- the 2011 film version -- didn't do much for me. Then I much prefer the TV series from the late 70s. Could be something with the fact that I hate films that relate a bunch of story information through dialogue alone.

The dense narrative is part of why it's a masterpiece!  Bear in mind, I'm a voracious fan of John le Carre.

It's visually breathtaking with subtle performances and a rich narrative.  What's not to love!

I remember enjoying it at the cinema, but at the last sitting I found it tedious and self-indulgent. The narrative suffers greatly from being compressed into a 2hr film. Still, some nice images and Iglesias's score is ace.

I'm a big fan of the Smiley novels and the BBC adaptations, if that matters.

In my opinion, five absolutely essential adaptations have been made of le Carre novels:

1. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)

2. The Spy Who Came in From the Cold

3. The Constant Gardener

4. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (70s TV)

5. Smiley's People (80s TV)

I get why some people love the TV miniseries the best, but for me, Alec Guinness gives a defining performance and the series around him are just really good.

Other than that they range from pretty good to bad, with 2014's A Most Wanted Man being the "best of the rest".  I'm looking forward to seeing Our Kind of Traitor which just came out, even if the reviews are middling.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Did the film make any sense to someone who hasnt seen the other ones?

My uncle explained the basic premise. :)

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

The dense narrative is part of why it's a masterpiece!  

Sounds like the SW prequels! (Awaiting angry dissenting comments) 

• 5 years later...

Well I finally opened my physical copy of the OST album this week.  It's a nice digipack with good art direction and a surprisingly thick booklet (16 pages)!

The booklet is mostly just full-page photos, though.  I did learn some stuff from the included text, however.

While the front cover just says "Music By John Powell & David Buckley", inside it reveals that there was "Additional Music and Arrangements by Batu Sener"

The credits are pretty extensive, and full of all the usual suspects.  The score was conducted by Gavin Greenaway, recorded by Nick Wolage, mixed by Shawn Murphy.  The album was mastered by Patricia Sullivan.  For Moby's "Extreme Ways (Jason Bourne)", it says the orchestra was arranged and conducted by Joseph Trapanese!

The orchestra members are listed, and it's just violins, viola, celli, bass, bassoons, french horn, tenor trombone, bass trombone, contrabass trombone, tuba/cimbassi, percussion, and finally... it says that John Powell himself played keys, bass guitar, and acoustic guitar!

Overall, nice score with a very nice physical edition, especially for an OST album!