Old JWFAN v New JWFAN

BloodBoal

On 7/25/2016 at 8:02 PM, JacksonElmore said:

That was hilarious. Haven't been on here for that long personally but i still got 90 percent of it....

My (belated) reaction to the video. Best lines were "load the samples," "copyists form up for advance," "loop," "Synth and honor," etc. :lol:

You're not missing much...

On 7/26/2016 at 4:52 PM, BloodBoal said:

I'll take your word for it!

Don't! 

33 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Hey I got to decapitate Junkie XL!

Like Seth MacFarlane decapitated Elfman in the FAMILY GUY/STAR WARS episode.

I'm a big fan of both Elfman and Junkie XL, so while I can't really partake in the 'laughing-at-them' in either of these cases, it's a slightly amusing way to launch criticism for the critic, I guess.

Nice video.

But I don't understand :-)

Is this a war? JWFAN members to other members?
Good that I don't find my name in the video :)

Andreas

What's not to understand? It's Zimmer fans invading General Discussion. How are you still lost?

3 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

He's just an ordinary man.

But at night, I transform into a beast of the wild, tracking down and killing fans of C&C releases. :D

In all seriousness, I do understand that "basic narrative" of the video (Zimmer fans invading General Discussions), but I'm a bit lost on the motivation and various other tidbits within. Seems to be for the initiated.

5 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

what was the first piece of music @BloodBoal? it sounded really lovely, like a mix between Doctor Who and Harry Potter with the female vocals and celeste.

I assume you meant the second piece of music, that plays over the shot of TheGreyPilgrimus' hand touching wheat, and not the first piece of music playing over the opening text. ;)

That's The Search For The Blue Fairy from Artificial Intelligence (the bit you're looking for starts at 02:28):

Just now, BloodBoal said:

I assume you meant the second piece of music, that plays over the shot of TheGreyPilgrimus' hand touching wheat, and not the first piece of music playing over the opening text. ;)

That's The Search For The Blue Fairy from Artificial Intelligence (the bit you're looking for starts at 02:28):

that's the one! lovely, thanks.

The score in general is top tier, but I've never been able to endure Williams' sugary vocal writing and I dislike his broader choral oeuvre outside of a select few (the scary Close Encounters stuff, Duel of the Fates...). Voices are, I feel, not the Maestro's strong suit.

I like when he brings in a chorus to compliment the orchestra (Jurassic Park), but that's often my limit with Williams and voices. 

For that sort of thing I generally much prefer Howard Shore's style. 

It's atonal again though isn't it, like the Close Encounters stuff I love. He excels at that style. It's the sugar I can't stand. Hymn to the Fallen gets out of control because of it. 

4 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

It's atonal again though isn't it, like the Close Encounters stuff I love. He excels at that style. It's the sugar I can't stand. Hymn to the Fallen gets out of control because of it. 

Its a little more dignified when its played by army bands on rememberce days across the globe without choir, yes.

3 minutes ago, Brónach said:

Hymn to the Fallen is boring and so is the film itself.

What?!? Did I read that right?

In any case, I love Williams in choral mode, whether it's atonal or tonal ("Exultate Justi!", "Gloria" and "Star of Bethlehem" never ceaze to give me goosebumps).

8 minutes ago, Brónach said:

Hymn to the Fallen is boring and so is the film itself.

If you think the two melees which bookend that film are boring then I do not know what else to say to you.