Old JWFAN v New JWFAN

BloodBoal

The middle is fantastic. My favourite part of the film. Much trickier to get right than the viscerality of the opening (which is also fantastic in a gruesome way). But Spielberg manages to pull it off.

2 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

The choral intro to this is better ;)

One of my favorite parts of the score!

Even when I'm not in the mood to listen to the song, I'll always play that intro before skipping to the next track.

3 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

The music in those first few seconds of the film are beastly. JW at his peak. 

Immediately sets a fantastic tone!

3 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

I'll go along with that, though I like the other two scores more. 

Raiders is much more focused, without a single wasted note. As effective as a bullit. TLC is more varied in tone and style, more reasonable too.

TOD is like a huge hambuger served by a waiter dressed as a clown. Ridiculous, but on the right occasion just what you need.

"Finding Private Ryan" is my favorite track.

I also don't associate "Hymn to the Fallen" or even the post-Normandy Americana stuff with the rest of the score, which is typically brooding and just badass.

20 hours ago, crocodile said:

Williams' last masterpiece.

Karol

Agreed. Though I consider Memoirs to be his last truly inspired score.

16 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Its a very "American". If you get my drift.

Not quite, actually it was around this time that Williams' more homely Copland-inspired writing became more operatic. 'Hymn' is a cue that, in execution and melodic arc, owes more to Morricone than to prototypical americana composers.

On ‎30‎.‎7‎.‎2016 at 0:43 PM, Lonnegan said:

Can't stand it. 

The search of the blue fairy in an outstanding piece of music. What is wrong  is that too classical style of the singer, it would be so much better without that much vibrato or with a kid voice.

On ‎30‎.‎7‎.‎2016 at 5:06 PM, Lonnegan said:

It's atonal again though isn't it, like the Close Encounters stuff I love. He excels at that style. It's the sugar I can't stand. Hymn to the Fallen gets out of control because of it. 

It's only the "highlight"(terrible female vibrato shouting) of that piece, otherwise it is beautiful, the brass choir etc as is the whole soundtrack. Brilliant.

Oh as film music it is perfectly suitable for the scenes it underscores. But as album material the vocal creates an aesthetic which doesn't agree with me. 

It's a shame we don't have versions without the vocals. I guess we're stuck with them.

There was a 5.1 mix of the OST released. Is there a way to eliminate or reduce the vocals like what people have done with the 5.1 SACD of the Titanic OST?

10 hours ago, hornist said:

It's only the "highlight"(terrible female vibrato shouting) of that piece, otherwise it is beautiful, the brass choir etc as is the whole soundtrack. Brilliant.

The main theme of the piece (after the brass intro) is nice and ambrosial, I agree. The accompanying soft choir works well, at first. 

I have a very close emotional attachment to "Hymn to the Fallen" and the Saving Private Ryan OST in general.  I dunno, maybe it's an American thing.  It's in my blood!

Patriotism <> nationalism!

• 1 month later...
On 01/08/2016 at 1:05 PM, crocodile said:

Hymn to the Fallen works very well without the chorus actually.

Karol

It might work very well without the chorus, but it's not what JW intended.

Why does he include vocals? What is he saying by including vocals?

Imagine "EXULTATE JUSTI", or "GLORIA" without the choir. 

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!

That's why I like it. It's of course deeply mediocre and simplistic, even simple music. Done by a composer with a very limited talent and skill-set, who nevertheless does his job on this film with utter dedication.