The NeoJWFan Guide to Experiencing Ye Olde Music

BLUMENKOHL

Indeed. From my experience, all the true Neo-JWFanners here are usually more well-versed in the nuances Ye Olde Music and are just more aware and open-minded about other musical approaches. It's the old coots that need some proper convincing.

Listening to music shouldn't have to be a big ordeal with set rules for how to do it. What I've found, is if you want to enjoy a song, just listen to it until you've gotten to the point where you're familiar with it, and if you still dislike it, then you don't have to listen to it anymore. Music should be something that's more fun to listen to the more you listen to it. I feel like this post tries to make listening to music strictly an ordeal that requires all of your attention. I think that listening to music should be something leisurely and enjoyable. I'm having a hard time putting this into words, so it may not make that much sense.

4 hours ago, Hawmy said:

Listening to music shouldn't have to be a big ordeal with set rules for how to do it. What I've found, is if you want to enjoy a song, just listen to it until you've gotten to the point where you're familiar with it, and if you still dislike it, then you don't have to listen to it anymore. Music should be something that's more fun to listen to the more you listen to it. I feel like this post tries to make listening to music strictly an ordeal that requires all of your attention. I think that listening to music should be something leisurely and enjoyable. I'm having a hard time putting this into words, so it may not make that much sense.

You're limiting yourself. 

You can leiurely enjoy music and you can focus on it. It's not mutually exclusive. 

This is something I don't nearly do as often as I did years ago. I did do it last night though as I lay in bed before going to sleep. Listening to the two Season 6 releases of LOST with headphones. Unfortunately I got too tired to finish, and I was almost done!

But yeah, it's the best way to go. It's why I never listen to film music outside of the house. 

19 hours ago, KK said:

Indeed. From my experience, all the true Neo-JWFanners here are usually more well-versed in the nuances Ye Olde Music and are just more aware and open-minded about other musical approaches. It's the old coots that need some proper convincing.

From what I've seen, there are more people here enjoying the Zimmers than the Korngolds. And certainly more who are broadly familiar with the former than the latter.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

From what I've seen, there are more people here enjoying the Zimmers than the Korngolds. And certainly more who are broadly familiar with the former than the latter.

Those aren't really what I consider to be Neo-JWFanners though. The Neo-JWFan movement is based on more than just Zimmer appreciation. It's appreciation of nuanced musical craft of all kinds.

19 minutes ago, KK said:

Those aren't really what I consider to be Neo-JWFanners though. The Neo-JWFan movement is based on more than just Zimmer appreciation. It's appreciation of nuanced musical craft of all kinds.

Take that kind of crap to FSM!

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Using myself as an example, I'm broadly familiar with the big Korngolds--Captain Blood, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Kings Row, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, but the aesthetics of those scores and the Golden Age don't mesh my with own. I find listening to most Steiner, Newman and Tiomkins a chore. Rosza, Deutsch and Waxman are exceptions as their heritage is a little broader. I doubt it's a case of attention span. I can listen to an hour long Morton Feldman piece but struggle with say, Now, Voyager.

I'm of a similar opinion.  The Golden Age roots are in the hyper-romantic era, and that era is one that I enjoy but less than most other ones.  So there's simply far more interesting music elsewhere for me.  Really, it starts with North, pretty much.

Rózsa and Waxman are a conditio sine qua non golden-age wise, most of the others i could do without (Steiner i can't listen to). But it's a circular thing. After years of pillaging of minimalist music i now hate certain Glass/Adams patterns just because they have become such a crutch.

21 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've never understood why it needs to be either/or. I can enjoy Rozsa and Waxman one day, then Zimmer and Junkie XL the next, then Vince DiCola and Giorgio Moroder the third, then Lalo Schifrin and Henry Mancini the fourth, then not listening to any film music at all the fifth, then going for Rammstein and Paul van Dyk the sixth, and then The Beach Boys and Brian Eno the seventh, then Anton Bruckner and Penderecki the eighth etc. Loving film music (and music) is embracing all periods and styles, IMO -- although obviously not without a critical sense.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I didn't say it does (just in case that was directly aimed at my comment).

It wasn't directly aimed at your comment; just something that I thought about when I read the comments in this thread. Many film music fans seem so pre-occupied with creating great divides ("everything used to be so much better back then" etc.) instead of opening up and listening to stuff on its own terms, and with an open mind.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Original JWFans seem to embrace the past, present and future. 

Exactly: Star Trek, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park and Marvel & DC movies and even horribler pre- and sequels.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Original JWFans seem to embrace the past, present and future. While NeoJWfans only seem to care about the now.

Idiot again!   It's the opposite!

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Original JWFans seem to embrace the past, present and future.

lol

Its true!

You younglings have no real appreciation for the music. Not like we who grew up waiting for decades for some scores to finally get a proper release have.

To you they are throw away products. As fashionable like an iPhone, but obsolete just as fast. Replaced by the latest thing.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Not like we who grew up waiting for decades for some scores to finally get a proper release have.

I remember ordering obscure soundtracks via a gigantic catalogue akin to the Domesday Book, kept in the upper floor of a music store of my nearest city,  writing an order request form with something akin to the SKU number of the item. These were exotically referred to as "IMPORTS" with a big sticker on and subsequently charged as such once they arrived. It cost to get a soundtrack out of the ordinary, and considerably so. Getting it 5-6 weeks later was a short waiting time sometimes, but when it did arrive that was something truly special. It was like having ordered a soundtrack from the moon or something. It meant something. We were then man, we know what it was like!!!!..........................Or was all that just where I live?