R.I.P Einojuhani Rautavaara

pro-arte

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had trouble connecting with his music for a long time, but his 8th symphony is sublime.  I listened with many today and was more moved by it than ever.

1 hour ago, hornist said:

RIP Einojuhani

He sure had his own voice, that Angel stuff is beautiful.

I played in many recordings of his music and travelled many times the same tram nr. 4 when I worked in Helsinki. Nice guy.

I have barely scracthed the surface of his expansive body of work so I'll be having plenty to discover still.

Long and productive life.  He left lots of music out there for us to digest.  I will put in Symphony No. 7 and 8 today when I get home from work.

Got into his music more over the last 5 years.

Wow. Had no idea this happened till recently. Though it may be late, I'll be playing his 7th tonight.

I hadn't heard Rautavaara's Symphony No. 8 until just now and really enjoyed it.  Very Sibelian...almost as if Rautavaara intended it to be his final thoughts on the great composers' symphonic legacy.  I also love how there is an homage to Sibelius but it is still very much a work by Rautavaara and not at all derivative. 

There are other great Finnish composers still with us.  Kalevi Aho and Aulis Sallinen for instance...both very fine and prolific symphonists maintaining the Finnish tradition so we should not despair.  There is still much more great music to come from that musically gifted country.