Oh, of course, it's obvious isn't it. Common knowledge.

OK, how about...what do you usually eat for breakfast? :D (Surely nobody asked him that before?)

Since I have no sense of humour, I choose to take the topic seriously. But the fact is, I couldn't limit it to just one question. I'd have to ask him several about his early days. If I had to ask one, then maybe "could you give me the timeline in your life from 1950 to 1956?

46 minutes ago, Hawmy said:

I'd probably ask him about his process while writing music. Does he write the melody first or come up with a good chord progression? Stuff like that.

God, I hope he doesn't do either of those things!

A little negative but I'd probably ask him about projects and collaborations that never came to fruition.  I find the "John Williams scores that could have been" very fascinating.  

35 minutes ago, Jilal said:

You love trees, but nevertheless choose to write music with pencil and paper? Why?!

ROTFLMAO

Gold star!

What’s your favorite book/movie/music of all time and why did it speak to you so much?

What was the best/worst phase of your life? 

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? 

What advice would you give your younger self? 

In your professional career, have you ever lost your cool? And what was the situation?

if you were in my shoes, and had the opportunity to ask you anything, what would  you ask yourself?

42 minutes ago, karelm said:

What’s your favorite book/movie/music of all time and why did it speak to you so much?

What was the best/worst phase of your life? 

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? 

What advice would you give your younger self? 

In your professional career, have you ever lost your cool? And what was the situation?

if you were in my shoes, and had the opportunity to ask you anything, what would  you ask yourself?

That's 6 questions!

But refreshing with a serious input. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

That's 6 questions!

But refreshing with a serious input. 

Why are you assuming "What would you choose to ask JW" means just ask one question?

For me, it's not so much that I want to ask a question - I want to be able to watch the whole painstaking process of spotting, writing, orchestrating, recording, mixing, mastering, and editing. Everything that goes into making a score, including the parts that Williams himself doesn't do.

But if I had to just stick to a question, I'd love to get some insight into the extent of Williams' auditory imagination. When he's writing complex music with lots of counterpoint and so forth, how much can be keep track of in his head, and how much does he use the piano to assist him in this?

I'm sorry...what is, "How much can you keep track of in your head until you have to use the piano to assist you?"?

Damn it, that's a question within a question...

59 minutes ago, Datameister said:

For me, it's not so much that I want to ask a question - I want to be able to watch the whole painstaking process of spotting, writing, orchestrating, recording, mixing, mastering, and editing. Everything that goes into making a score, including the parts that Williams himself doesn't do.

But if I had to just stick to a question, I'd love to get some insight into the extent of Williams' auditory imagination. When he's writing complex music with lots of counterpoint and so forth, how much can be keep track of in his head, and how much does he use the piano to assist him in this?

There are certain limits when it comes to visualizing music within your head - I'm sure there are quite a few contemporary composers who wrote/write stuff they couldn't/can't really produce an accurate cognitive image of, whereas they did/do know how it would feel hearing it come to life. Does not being able to imagine certain things in an audiovisual way whilst penning them down mean you're a lesser composer, however? Isn't it the result that counts? Sometimes, you need to accept your cognitive boundaries, even if you're particularly gifted in a certain field - unless you're an Übermensch IQ 240, that is.

1 hour ago, Jilal said:

There are certain limits when it comes to visualizing music within your head - I'm sure there are quite a few contemporary composers who wrote/write stuff they couldn't/can't really produce an accurate cognitive image of, whereas they did/do know how it would feel hearing it come to life. Does not being able to imagine certain things in an audiovisual way whilst penning them down mean you're a lesser composer, however? Isn't it the result that counts? Sometimes, you need to accept your cognitive boundaries, even if you're particularly gifted in a certain field - unless you're an Übermensch IQ 240, that is.

I wasn't implying that there's anything wrong with having limits to what you can imagine. I'm curious where those limits are for Williams, and what his process is like for writing music that goes beyond those limits.

2 minutes ago, Datameister said:

I wasn't implying that there's anything wrong with having limits to what you can imagine. I'm curious where those limits are for Williams, and what his process is like for writing music that goes beyond those limits.

Sure. Just some thoughts. :)

@Datameister @Jilal

A lot of people have listed certain humorous questions, which is wonderful, but if I really could talk to Williams I would just focus on the process of making a score -- particularly the composition, which in truth we know very little about (this process is something Data and Jilal have discussed). I dearly wish that he would pen an autobiography to give us insight into that process, among other things. It saddens me to think that upon his death much of that information could be lost.

If given the chance, I'd probably ask something else, but I'm really curious to know how the hodgepodge that is Mischief Managed from The Prisoner of Azkaban came about.