Jon Broxton reports on the Fellowship EE music recording sessions

Kühni

Since everyone else has some anal desire about these scores, here's mine: a listing of where every bar of music was recorded between Abbey Road/AIR/Watford (and Henry Wood?). 

Wow, that was great! Thank you so much for posting!

I guess I didn't realize before how many different recording studios FOTR was recorded in...

6 hours ago, Kühni said:

We left the studio while the orchestra were on a break, and as the engineers were setting up for a further new sequence in which Ian McKellen as Gandalf sings a song at Bilbo's 111th birthday party (which, sadly, I did not hear).

Mistake or possibly dropped from the final edit? Not sure what else he could have confused this with.

Sounds like a deleted scene.

Though if true that would mean Shore wasn't writing his EE cues to a locked cut.

Oh, right. That's probably it. It is after all his birthday already when he arrives 

7 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

Could be a corruption of the scene where Gandalf sings The Road Goes Ever On and On as he first arrives.

I did think that, and I suppose it would make sense given that he didn't actually see/hear the scene. I just wondered because it sort of seemed like they were scoring the new scenes in order (or at least, the Hobbiton stuff).

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 11:41 AM, Barnald said:

I did think that, and I suppose it would make sense given that he didn't actually see/hear the scene. I just wondered because it sort of seemed like they were scoring the new scenes in order (or at least, the Hobbiton stuff).

I believe that is the case.

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 5:45 PM, Kühni said:

Amazingly, it took almost four hours for these two cues to be recorded.

It's tremendously unusual to have the time and the budget to be able to spend so long obsessing over minute details when recording a film score - and this was just the extended DVD cut!

1 hour ago, Jim Ware said:

It's tremendously unusual to have the time and the budget to be able to spend so long obsessing over minute details when recording a film score - and this was just the extended DVD cut!

As the situation with the Hobbit EE's demonstrates unfortunately. We probably didn't realize just how spoiled we were at the time, but then the DVD/home video market was much bigger back then.

I refer not to the quality of the films themselves, but rather the recording process, whereby separate blocks were set aside in the spring.

32 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

The decision to not use the only composition explicitly written for the EE baffles me.

You almost have to laugh at such a decision (else you'd probably cry)

15 minutes ago, Barnald said:

You almost have to laugh at such a decision (else you'd probably cry)

The decision not to restore any of the windlance stuff in the opening sequence (which was scored) baffles me too!

That's our first actual confirmation of the windlance stuff! Another set-up from DoS without any pay off in BotFA (and one I forgot to mention on the other thread).

Jim - do you happen to know of any other reasonably significant BotFA bits that were scored and yet not restored for the EE? I've probably asked you this before, forgive me if I have.

19 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

The decision to not use the only composition explicitly written for the EE baffles me.

Could you describe the length, content and orchestration of that funeral piece a bit more in depth? To me it seems like Shore worked towards a payoff of intertwining Thorin, Erebor and possibly House of Durin, like in Beyond Sorrow And Grief, but never made it into the film.

Was it really choral only? I really can't wait to hear it someday (surely we will?).

Can you tell us how long it is Jim? I recall something like four minutes being mentioned?

Ah so about half that then? (I can't remember how long that scene is, though could it be possible that Shore scored it when it was longer, with the full Gandalf recital?)

I trawled through an old discussion and found this post from Jim (I hope he won't mind me re-posting it here), who also confirmed that the orchestral bits are tracked from DoS:

Less than half of the funeral composition is used. As written, it starts with House of Durin and turns into a contrapuntal interweaving of the Durin, Thorin and Erebor themes. It's entirely choral.

And because that post contains the word 'contrapuntal', you can be sure I didn't make it up. I think he clarified that the scene wasn't any longer when Shore scored it.

I just wish they had used Gandalf' eulogy. It was pure gold that one and McKellen nailed it.

I am really hoping Shore's original composition will someday be released.

1 hour ago, Barnald said:

I trawled through an old discussion and found this post from Jim (I hope he won't mind me re-posting it here), who also confirmed that the orchestral bits are tracked from DoS:

This is still accurate. ;)  It's about a minute and a half in total.  Shore wrote an alternate composition for this scene way back in 2012 but it was never recorded.