Michael Giacchino's SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING (2017)

Damien F

5 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

We need a new young unknown to penetrate the mix.  Is there no one else?

Disney doesn't want a new young unknown. It's no coincidence that Giacchino is involved in all these Disney projects - Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, Zootopia, etc. He's proven himself to be a safe, reliable, and well-known composer.

18 minutes ago, Skelly said:

Disney doesn't want a new young unknown. It's no coincidence that Giacchino is involved in all these Disney projects - Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, Zootopia, etc. He's proven himself to be a safe, reliable, and well-known composer.

Safe, reliable, won't try anything new or risky.... it's the Disney way!

Yeah. It's basically when colleges (and some high schools) invite all their alumni back to campus to celebrate festivities, usually ending with a big football game + concert. At least that's how we do it in Canada.

I have a feeling it will be a significantly more fun film than standard MCU fair.  More Iron Man 1 than Thor 2.

Yeah, it's overrated hoopla. I usually take advantage of all the food trucks around and then go back to my regular day.

There are too many Spider-Man scores about, methinks, none of them spectacular (my favourite has to be Horner's, closely followed by Elfman's first). I think Giacchino could nail this - a film that took what we saw in Civil War and make a cheeky Marvel film out of it would really suit his style. The hero's theme has to be right though, as Zimmer showed us how not to do it.

I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I like Zimmer and the other 6 Composers' melodramatic love theme and even kind of enjoyed their crazy pop song style for Electro and that pounding Rhino motif that was transformed into a pop song. Nice and catchy and fun, but for me, he doesn't really touch Elfman and Horner's stuff.

1 minute ago, leeallen01 said:

I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I like Zimmer and the other 6 Composers' melodramatic love theme and even kind of enjoyed their crazy pop song style for Electro and that pounding Rhino motif that was transformed into a pop song. Nice and catchy and fun, but for me, he doesn't really touch Elfman and Horner's stuff.

Agreed. While I would certainly loved another Horner score, or Christopher Young to take his own swing of the baton again, Zimmer's score wasn't so bad. It wasn't great, but it was different and there were some good things about it. For me, it had some sort of odd, corny charm to it. If he'd relied a little less on the dubstep stuff I might have liked it a little more, though.

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

You had to watch an analysis video to realize that? Come on crumbs, you're worth better than that!

Right from the start, with the first few Marvel flicks (Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk...), you could tell the look of these movies was generic.

Don't get me wrong, I've always been irritated by how generic and flat Marvel films look (don't get me started on the scores) but I never had the inclination to connect the dots. That video did it for me. After all, Marvel films aren't high art or worthy of deep analysis; they're just mass-produced entertainment.

It's becoming tiresome how their films endlessly recycle the same dreary, grey environments we see with our own eyes daily. Every shot decision is so bland and safe and uninteresting, even the most lazy film student could storyboard it with their eyes shut. I legitimately don't think you could frame a shot like this any more boringly if you tried:

Screen-Shot-2016-05-06-at-12.53.34-AM-85

Well, I think Giacchino will have a lot of fun with this one!

Assuming he actually has time to score it properly after War of the Apes, which will be right after Rogue One... though supposedly his other 2017 scores (Book of Henry and Coco) are already done at least... Until he gets signed onto something else!

• 4 months later...

Recording one week after War of the Planet of the Apes... how much time did he spend writing this?

• 3 weeks later...

Giacchino is okay as the composer for this - he can do good, flexible fun as in Speed Racer. Themes are also great now that Marvel has decided to pay attention to this angle. But two things make him one of the worst composers out there:

1. The silly recording quality on album. Yes, he grew up in the early 70s when everything was mono and closemiked. Does it mean he has to keep victimising the huge orchestras he commands with the same limitations nowadays - not in the films, on cd? Seriously, his work sounds like utter shite because of the recording quality. Check out the piece he did for Cloverfield that was not constrained by the mania of his usual sound enforcer - great sounding stuff

2. Action music. He does well on this front and I used to love a lot of his VG work. Nowadays, it gets into that repetitive, dry groove that Brian Tyler does endlessly, and Harry Gregson-Williams used to do. It just sounds like dry stale bread, and it actually hurts my teeth, like chewing metal. It would be great if MG would let Chad Seiter write some of this stuff - give him a cocomposing credit. He is so much better at it as can be seen with his Recore score which kicks all MG out of the water outside of the very early Medal of Honor stuff.

Giacchino does well but he seems to be a bit lost amidst his success. He has folks like Tilton and Seiter by him. Let these guys get some of the credit. And I am not one of these guys!