Michael Giacchino's SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING (2017)

Damien F

7 hours ago, RPurton said:

Wasn't a sleight against you, Will. You haven't seen any of the Raimi films?! Just not interested?

For some reason, I've just never really wanted to watch superhero movies. Not really sure why! 

We should be thankful that Beyond flopped, thus reducing the chances of another generic cookie-cutter Trek sequel dirtying the silver screens of our local cinemas.

Why not combine Boatload of Trouble's parts into one track? Sheesh!

Stark Raving Mad got a snicker out of me. Giacchino's puns always sound like titles for terrible 60's Looney Tunes cartoons. 

I think Gia's pun are fun. Like anything some are better then others though.

On 5/20/2017 at 4:46 PM, igger6 said:

If the reports are true that Silvestri is coming back for Infinity War, I'm guessing we'll finally get a nice return of the Cap march (but probably in a funereal setting, alas) and maybe a reversion to the original Avengers theme, which would be a loss in my book, since Elfman's update was both musically satisfying and thematically appropriate for a the newish team roster.  But I have very little confidence that Christophe Beck's great Ant-Man theme, any of the Iron Man or Thor themes, or even the Guardians theme will show up in Infinity War.  (Actually, Guardians would be easy, since it's such a short phrase, but I'm still betting it won't happen.)

Which brings us back to Giacchino, who is the arguably the best deployer of other composers' themes in the business (Lost World, Death Star, and Imperial motifs, anyone?).  I'm desperately curious to see how he chooses to represent Tony Stark in Spider-Man, and I frankly wouldn't complain he were scoring Infinity War rather than Silvestri.  Silvestri may have written two of the MCU's best themes, but at this point, Giacchino has the better track record when it come to reusing them. 

Gia will only reuse the themes if Marvel lets him. At this point the problem clearly lies not with the composers but the studio, who seem to have gone out of their way to say that they don't like recurring themes in their films aside for The Avengers. If Gia doesn't return for the Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel for example, expect a new composers to come in and make an entirely new theme for the web-slinger. 

I love the puns. They give Giacchino his unique "flair." Always a delight. 

Although I did like the serious names for Rogue OneStar Wars feels a little too important for puns. 

2 hours ago, Will said:

I love the puns. They give Giacchino his unique "flair." Always a delight. 

Although I did like the serious names for Rogue OneStar Wars feels a little too important for puns. 

I just choked on my aspirations

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

If his "main" theme is that melody that starts at 0:28 in the video...it doesn't sound super promising.  But yes, I will reserve judgment until I hear it in context.

It sounds a bit generically "heroic" so to say, but again hard to judge unless I've heard the entire theme. Mind you the rest of the score might be a bit different. 

12 minutes ago, DominicCobb said:

I'm gonna be real disappointed if the 60's theme isn't used throughout the movie. It's a great melody (that is very Spider-Man-y, unlike the Horner and Zimmer efforts).  and Giacchino killed it in the he posted.

I'd rather he not. Using that theme once or twice is fine, but relying on it too much isn't such a great thing. Giacchino should do his own thing for the most part.

1 hour ago, DominicCobb said:

I'm gonna be real disappointed if the 60's theme isn't used throughout the movie. It's a great melody (that is very Spider-Man-y, unlike the Horner and Zimmer efforts).  and Giacchino killed it in the he posted.

It's going to be reserved for the end credits. And that arrangement wasn't that great.

Theme sounds pretty good, although obviously it's hard to tell much from this. Sounds a little like the Tintin main theme. 

Again, I'm trying my best not to pre-judge too much, but it sounds serviceable at best.  Like, "yes, this is what heroic music should basically sound like when the hero does something heroic."  But context can be everything!

1 hour ago, Will said:

Theme sounds pretty good, although obviously it's hard to tell much from this. Sounds a little like the Tintin main theme. 

100% CONFIRMED

GIACCHINO IS THE NEXT WILLIAMS!

:P

Sounds like typical Giacchino. I would be surprised if that wasn't the main theme.

On 6/7/2017 at 4:51 PM, DominicCobb said:

The Horner theme is magnificent. But I agree not very Spider-man-y. But Elfman's theme is perfect and will be hard to top.

I love all 5 of the previous Spider-Man scores and I like Giacchino well enough, I just hope this score leaves a bit more of an impression on me than Doctor Strange did. No huge loss if it doesn't, I suppose. We still have Williams' TLJ to look forward to after all!