Michael Giacchino's SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING (2017)

Damien F

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

It should work.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Akz-9hNbLAnnhiW4yB1TkU6dvoDd

I'l look later when I'm home. And if not then I'll upload it to youtube and post the link.

Wow i'm pleasantly surprised how well SpiderMan's theme works on those footage. It might very well be nice in the upcoming film. But it'll stay lackluster to listen to as a standalone track.

On 19. Juni 2017 at 8:48 AM, GiacchinoCues said:

It might also have to do with the fact he had four and a half weeks to write an entire score. :)

Really. People should really keep their mouths shut talking smack about a score like Rogue One being "clumsy", when it's been written in such a short timeframe.

Force Awakens was worked on for how long? A year? And it's not that much more enjoyable than Rogue One. Yes, I mean that.

First of all, don't tell people to stop talking about anything. You of all people don't have that right.

Secondly, are you saying TFA is as messy as Rogue One? Actually...what are you saying?

Are you one of those who's childhood memories got raped by Williams' TFA score? I seem to recall...

I think that what gkgyver is saying, is that R1's score had a short gestation period, and TFA's score had a long gestation period, yet the finished products were about the same, ie not very good. 

Whether R1 would be a better score than it is, if MG was involved for longer, cannot be determined, but I'd like to think that he would have aced it, had he more time. That the R1 score is as bad as some people suggest, is not, I think, MG's fault. Any finished product would be better if one had four months to work on it, rather than four weeks. At least, that's the theory. An alternate theory is that dome people don't need four months to work on something, but that is, of course, a whole other story...

24 minutes ago, Richard said:

I think that what gkgyver is saying, is that R1's score had a short gestation period, and TFA's score had a long gestation period, yet the finished products were about the same, ie not very good. 

But TFA is very good! This statement makes no sense!

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Giacchino is not as good or as experienced as Williams is. 

Well, Gia is only about 8 year younger than Williams when he wrote TESB. But the first point is beyond doubt. Giacchino isnt as good as Williams is, was or will ever be.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Well, Gia is only about 8 year younger than Williams when he wrote TESB. But the first point is beyond doubt. Giacchino isnt as good as Williams is, was or will ever be.

True, but at this point I doubt Gia even wants to be the "next Williams". He just likes working on blockbusters or films with directors he's comfortable with, even Williams did a lot of dramatic films during his prime. Gia doesn't seem to be interested in that. 

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Gia doesn't seem to be interested in that. 

Or....studio's and film makers simply arent considering him for that kind of work. I mean if you had a small drama film and you could get Thoman Newman, Dario Marionelli or Gia?

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Or....studio's and film makers simply arent considering him for that kind of work. I mean if you had a small drama film and you could get Thoman Newman, Dario Marionelli or Gia?

Maybe, it could also be that he's simply not seeking out those types of films as well. Some composers can be typecasted after all (the various composers who work on comedies would probably know a thing or two about that), but Gia just seems to have no ambitions to stretch out beyond "blockbuster sound". I enjoy a lot of his work, but he could try to vary things up once and a while, I think. 

6 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

True, but at this point I doubt Gia even wants to be the "next Williams". He just likes working on blockbusters or films with directors he's comfortable with, even Williams did a lot of dramatic films during his prime. Gia doesn't seem to be interested in that. 

His score for The Book of Henry just came out this past Friday.  Of course it was made by one of his blockbuster buddies.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

His score for The Book of Henry just came out this past Friday.  Of course it was made by one of his blockbuster buddies.

That's different, and I like the score fine, but I'd like to see him try his hands at a really dramatic film, the closest I can think of is 50 / 50 (nice guitar music), and I don't think that score ever got a proper release (was there much of it in the film to begin with anyway?).

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Even fans like Jason don't seem to be all that impressed by his current blockbuster stuff. So perhaps he should try and find something else to score.

I'll let Giacchino know when I see him that a handful of JWFanners are displeased by his current output and that he should try other things...

Bzzt! No!

I think Giacchino is comfortable where he is right now: scoring every major franchise, getting a boatload of money and recognition along the way. 

It's called "opinions."  Some people dislike some things.  When that thing is very exposed, highly touted, and it has any space for critique, it becomes a favored target.  I personally feel that Giacchino has been the biggest disappointment in film music history, when you look at some early promise showed, the subsequent hype, and the range of projects he's now been gifted with, most of which seem to me to have been a complete waste on him.  It's unfortunate.  But it isn't "toxicity" when people don't like something you like.  Some of us have had to bear hearing similar stuff about other composers over the years.  It's now your turn, as a Giacchino fan.

11 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I personally feel that Giacchino has been the biggest disappointment in film music history

Like Natalie Imbruglia, I'm torn on this one. While Giacchino is a massive disappointment in how the quality of his music rapidly deteriorated like so many Star Wars film cells, it's just as disappointing if not worse that David Arnold vanished off the face of the Earth.

No, seriously, it's one thing to have an opinion, I'm not saying that freedom should be quashed at all. It's the arrogance in thinking that you can say the same opinion over and over and think this will have a consequence on reality. There's a thousand other threads with Giacchino, Zimmer, RCP hate. As a fan of Giacchino's, I can tell you honestly that I have been disappointed recently. That doesn't mean that I'm going to fill every thread about his work with the same, tired arguments and complaints. 

Maybe I'm thinking this way, because this place is like a tiny echo chamber whom only a few engage with. It's the same shit flying around...

What's so hard to understand? Nobody would give a shit if MG would limit himself to UCLA student films. And i would be very quiet about them nitpickers if my comebacks were on the level of 'But he's laughing all the way to the bank!!' 

Yeah but most posters share that sentiment in one form or another. To counter that with 'he's rich and you're not' seems kind of adding fuel to the fire.

12 minutes ago, RPurton said:

It wasn't a comeback, pub, it was a jab at steef's god damn anti-gia complex!

Indeed. The rationale of "Gia only likes to work for his director friends" is seriously laughable. And if it's true it suggests he isn't much of a professional.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

What's so hard to understand? Nobody would give a shit if MG would limit himself to UCLA student films. And i would be very quiet about them nitpickers if my comebacks were on the level of 'But he's laughing all the way to the bank!!' 

But it is true. He's laughing his ossoff to the bank.

7 hours ago, RPurton said:

According to Stefancos, it's not obvious. All this bitching about Giacchino, and every other composer on this forum is maddening. Sometimes the obvious has to be stated.

Why is there such toxicity on this forum? 

I think they might be just closeted fans, that's all. ;)

Karol

8 hours ago, RPurton said:

No, seriously, it's one thing to have an opinion, I'm not saying that freedom should be quashed at all. It's the arrogance in thinking that you can say the same opinion over and over and think this will have a consequence on reality. There's a thousand other threads with Giacchino, Zimmer, RCP hate. As a fan of Giacchino's, I can tell you honestly that I have been disappointed recently. That doesn't mean that I'm going to fill every thread about his work with the same, tired arguments and complaints. 

Maybe I'm thinking this way, because this place is like a tiny echo chamber whom only a few engage with. It's the same shit flying around...

It's because people love to hate. It makes them feel good to bring down others.