Michael Giacchino's SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING (2017)

Damien F

Giacchino is trash!

anyway, there's not much to discus. We've got a very uninspired and unimaginative 6 minute suite of the score. 

15 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

*checks 'Giacchino's Spider-Man' thread for an interesting conversation.

*"Giacchino is trash!!" 

*waits another week.

It'll be the same in another week!

A new song is available today, it's called "Fly-By-Night Operation" it's available on iTunes at least. The song isn't that good and that's coming from a fan of his recent works

1 minute ago, Jwfan2234 said:

iTunes

*KLAXON KLAXON KLAXON WEEEE OOOOO WEEEE OOOOO*

He said it!

If you don't like it, that either means it's really really bad, or actually good :) 

Are we getting an Alicia Keys hip-hop trance beat song for Keaton, with Giacchino in the music video throwing out gangsta signs?

FYI; Gangsta Signs is also the name of M. Night Shyamalan's Rapper brother Li'l Shyamalan's debut album.

The ostinato he uses at the start is straight out of Khan's ostinato from Into Darkness, and his Vulture theme is basically his general villain vibes from his Trek scores but reorganised. 

I do like the statement of his main Spider-Man theme though, at 0:35.

Ok.. this negativity is really bothering me. Is it because you guys expect more from Giacchino? Because it sounds much better than Jackman's Civil War score. Just the fact that we have new memorable themes, even if simplistic, and some orchestral complexity already makes it much better than at least 60% of recent blockbuster scores.

I didn't really like that cue either, but let me ask you this:

Have you ever really enjoyed a complex action cue on your first listen? I don't think I have, and that counts Williams. 

It may well still be crap, of course. :lol:

I'm a huge fan of Giacchino. And yes this is vastly better than the crap being spouted from Jackman. However, as a big fan of him, I also have to be honest with myself, and I am so far a little disappointed with what I'm hearing. So far of course. It may be good overall and I may grow to really like the score. But to me it sounds like he is tired and pretty maxed out. I think he is in need of a break. Going straight from Star Wars into Apes and this has clearly been taxing because (although we're yet to hear his new Apes score) he does sound like Spider-Man kind of met him at a time where he was at the end of his energy burst and he is just hobbling over the finish line of this massive block of huge films. 

The man needs a break. And his most recent break from massive blockbusters was Book of Henry, which is a really good score.

5 minutes ago, Will said:

Have you ever really enjoyed a complex action cue on your first listen? I don't think I have, and that counts Williams. 

It may well still be crap, of course. :lol:

Yes, most of Williams generic action cues from TFA; like the Falcon chase and the Rathtar stuff, initially was disappointing and tired, and unfortunately still is. 

3 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I'm a huge fan of Giacchino. And yes this is vastly better than the crap being spouted from Jackman. However, as a big fan of him, I also have to be honest with myself, and I am so far a little disappointed with what I'm hearing. So far of course. It may be good overall and I may grow to really like the score. But to me it sounds like he is tired and pretty maxed out. I think he is in need of a break. Going straight from Star Wars into Apes and this has clearly been taxing because (although we're yet to hear his new Apes score) he does sound like Spider-Man kind of met him at a time where he was at the end of his energy burst and he is just hobbling over the finish line of this massive block of huge films. 

The man needs a break. And his most recent break from massive blockbusters was Book of Henry, which is a really good score.

Yes, most of Williams generic action cues from TFA; like the Falcon chase and the Rathtar stuff, initially was disappointing and tired, and unfortunately still is. 

I actually really like the Rathtar stuff (and the Falcon chase, although I find this one more challenging given its complexity). Or at least I did, before I listened to them too many times they got a little old. :lol:

But I don't think I liked either right off the bat. 

8 minutes ago, Will said:

I have! And not just cues by John Williams -- though admittedly his tend to have a higher success rate.

Hmm. There are definitely some ones I've liked more than others on first listen, but in general I have trouble appreciating much of anything the first time I hear it. With a few exceptions. 

For me the action where Williams really shone in TFA was the thematically driven pieces, like Resistance March and the incredible Scherzo for X-Wings. That piece is sensational. But his random action pieces for generic action moments in the film, just fell flat for me. No meat in those pieces to hook me in at all. 

3 hours ago, saulocf said:

Ok.. this negativity is really bothering me. Is it because you guys expect more from Giacchino? Because it sounds much better than Jackman's Civil War score. Just the fact that we have new memorable themes, even if simplistic, and some orchestral complexity already makes it much better than at least 60% of recent blockbuster scores.

1) Don't let negativity bother you, or you will have a short lifespan on JWFan and the internet in general.

2) Why do themes and orchestral complexity automatically make a score good?  Bad music is bad music, whatever clothes it's wearing.

4 hours ago, saulocf said:

A score can be significantly better than 60% of recent blockbuster scores and still disappointing, if its by a composer that has produced some of your favorite scores of all time in the past

2 hours ago, Jay said:

A score can be significantly better than 60% of recent blockbuster scores and still disappointing, if its by a composer that has produced some of your favorite scores of all time in the past

Ok, I get that.. it does not sound great by any means, I was just surprised by the "Just orchestral noise" comment, as it sounded incredibly harsh. If anything, there is some nice arrangements of the Spider-Man theme a the 0:36

"The Resistance", "I Can Fly Anything", "'Follow Me' and The Falcon", and "The Ways of the Force" are stand-out staples of TFA's action music. Exhilarating stuff!

11 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

For me the action where Williams really shone in TFA was the thematically driven pieces, like Resistance March and the incredible Scherzo for X-Wings. That piece is sensational. But his random action pieces for generic action moments in the film, just fell flat for me. No meat in those pieces to hook me in at all. 

This noise is written by a man who once wrote tracks like Rjuken Sabotage.

I think that's what pours salt in the wound for me. 

Michael, I think it's time for a four year break from commercial music to go find yourself, or the next version of yourself. This version is getting tiresome. He last five or six years have been embarrassing, with one maybe two exceptions. 

The music in this clip after 01:10 sounds like someone intentionally imitating anachronistic 50's scoring - badly. In its own way it is more horrible than those stupid RCP beer commercial epic themes.

27 minutes ago, publicist said:

The music in this clip after 01:10 sounds like someone intentionally imitating anachronistic 50's scoring - badly. In its own way it is more horrible than those stupid RCP beer commercial epic themes.

There is little...grace in Giacchino's writing. Just noise. 

I usually can at least enjoy his music, even that snippet posted up there

and in my mind as long as that is true

I cant call it 'bad music'

guy probably should still take a break regardless, havent listened to his other scores from this year either

What is it about the brass in moments like 0:35 that makes it sound so flat? Is it the orchestration? The recording?  It's an issue I have with a lot of his work, like the Mustafar 'fanfare' moment in Krennic's Aspirations where the trumpets, bones, and tubas sound so heavy and flat.  One thing JW does is he'll double the trumpets with trombones (and sometimes horns) an octave lower to get a real brilliant thick sound, but it's never heavy. Probably because the tuba/s are either not playing or playing something totally different. 

Just listened to the suite. The main theme is disappointingly bland and simple. Completely forgettable. I'd say Doctor Strange's theme is a pedestrian servicable theme, but Spider-Man is a notch below that. It makes me appreciate Beck's Ant-Man theme even more. 

I think Gia might be stretching himself too thin lately with so many high-profile projects so close to each other because I know he is capable of much better.