Michael Giacchino's SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING (2017)

Damien F

3 hours ago, GiacchinoCues said:

The first track (the original Spider-Man theme used in the logo) can now be bought/streamed everywhere.

I hate the electric guitar added… I much prefer the twitter version without it…

4 hours ago, James said:

2:40 ❎

New edit:

6:40 

The closest of a new theme to the Iron Man

:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Sounds more like hints of his Spidey's theme to me.

Compare 02:44:

To 00:39:

Yes. I was wrong. I wanted point out the theme of 6:40.

Okay, I've heard the full score a couple of times. Not impressed. I enjoyed some of the action involving back and forth exchanges of his Spider-Man theme and Birdman theme, but basically it feels like autopilot for me. Didn't really think any piece was a stand-out. All rather the same quality, which was kind of meh.

Disappointed, but it happens. I wasn't going to see the film anyway, so it isn't like it has crushed my dreams of a great score, because the movie doesn't interest me in the slightest to begin with. 

But War for the Planet of the Apes massively interests me, and apparently the film is a masterpiece, so I'm really looking forward to a good score for that, which I'm sure I'll get considering I enjoyed his score for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

"From then on, the action rarely lets up – “Lift Off” is breathlessly exciting, with strident appearances from both the hero and villain themes, and then comes what is sure to become a real fan favourite, “Fly-By-Night Operation”, which is a brassy  delight featuring no shortage of action thrills."

http://www.movie-wave.net/spider-man-homecoming/

The score makes better impression from the album than it does from those few tracks. It's ok but still the weakest entry in this character's musical history.

Karol

On my first listen now after just seeing the movie.

I still think the main theme is the weakest for this character and uninteresting in its structure, but it is certainly an ear-worm. I think it benefits massively from the many varied orchestrations it gets throughout the score.

Drag Racing / An Old Van Rundown is by far my favorite cue so far. A great action cue with some Jupiter Ascending-esque brass.

The first half of Monumental Meltdown is rather fun too. It uses the same melody from Drag Racing / An Old Van Rundown. Not sure if it is a secondary theme or just an action motif for that part of the movie. I find it more interesting than the main theme.

On 4/7/2017 at 1:47 AM, crocodile said:

The score makes better impression from the album than it does from those few tracks. It's ok but still the weakest entry in this character's musical history.

Karol

Its worse than the Zimmer mess in ASM2?

51 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Zimmer's has more personality and actually does something different.

Karop

After seeing the film, honestly too bad Gia didn't go with the 60's theme, much better melody than we ended up with (which seems to be almost a Rogue One style homage to it).

Haven't necessarily disliked any of the themes since Elfman, but they just really haven't come close.

Well, I thought it was way better film than the marketing suggested and the score fits it pretty well. It's certainly not Giacchino's best work, but it had fun moments and some cool stuff going on in the brass.

Just had a couple of listens through. Some nice stuff in there. I prefer it to Rogue One but overall I'd say it's not as good as Doctor Strange. Definitely no where near to quality of Elfman/Young. Probably closer to the quality of Horner's in my opinion (although I prefer Horner's main theme)

8 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Giacchino could have filled the CD with just 70 minutes of him farting and it would still be better than that monstrosity.

I liked the score for ASM2 myself, a lot.

Though I can see it being rough for most.

Also yeah this score isnt as interesting as Dr Strange was, but its decent and fun at least.

I don't remember seeing the Wonder Woman theme credited to Hans Zimmer after seeing that film, not even a "Wonder Woman Theme By..." after Rupert Gregson-Williams name. 

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

It is largely the main theme and vulture theme squaring off back and forth, but just when it starts to get repetitive, the whole album is over.

Except for the GREAT MoH-like action setpiece "Monumental Meltdown". I liked a lot. Here is the thing about Giacchino, his themes may not be the best nor the most complex ones (except for the Yorktown theme from ST:Beyond, that one is awesome), but he is always able to make them interesting. He is the exact opposite of Hans Zimmer (good themes, bad arrangements, orchestrations and development). 

So far I've only listened to the whole album without really looking at track titles.  I'm going to listen to both it and War of the POTA today and I'll try to pay more attention to tracks

Welp, I've been listening all morning and I like it. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I certainly like this score much more than Rogue One or Dr Strange, but its not up there with his Star Trek scores

^ That about sums it up. It's certainly the best MCU score since Ant-Man.

It's the only scoring to come out of the entire MCU besides Silvestri's Captain American and Avengers themes, Elfman's work on Avengers 2, and the Ant-man score that does anything for me.  Actually Lennertz's work for Agent Carter was good too

2 minutes ago, Muldoon said:

No love for McCreary's work on SHIELD or Armstrong's Hulk?

Is that Hulk part of the MCU?

5 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Is that Hulk part of the MCU?

Your confusion is understandable given the recasting from Norton to Ruffalo for The Avengers, but yeah, it's in the same universe. It even had Iron Man in a mid-credits scene.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

Got my CD copy today. Strange that they didn't credit the Avengers theme in tracks 2 and 20..

Karol

In The Avengers : The Age of Ultron too. 

42 minutes ago, Muldoon said:

No love for McCreary's work on SHIELD or Armstrong's Hulk?

Never heard either

To be more specific; I've never seen an episode of Agents of SHIELD nor listened to the OST album(s?).

I've seen that Hulk movie but don't remember anything about the music in it, and never listened to its OST album

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

Got my CD copy today. Strange that they didn't credit the Avengers theme in tracks 2 and 20..

Karol

Stranger still, it was credited in the movie.