• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Damien F

Michael Giacchino's Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

445 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

After Giacchino has scored all of these major franchises; if he doesn't give up his emergency powers, he should be arrested.

The JW Council will have to take control of the RCP to ensure a peaceful transition

Hmm. So what isn't Giacchino scoring these days?

At least this seems more up his alley than the other films. Can't say I'm looking forward to it though.

5 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

We need a new young unknown to penetrate the mix.  Is there no one else?

Disney doesn't want a new young unknown. It's no coincidence that Giacchino is involved in all these Disney projects - Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, Zootopia, etc. He's proven himself to be a safe, reliable, and well-known composer.

18 minutes ago, Skelly said:

Disney doesn't want a new young unknown. It's no coincidence that Giacchino is involved in all these Disney projects - Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, Zootopia, etc. He's proven himself to be a safe, reliable, and well-known composer.

Safe, reliable, won't try anything new or risky.... it's the Disney way!

2 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

We need a new young unknown to penetrate the mix.  Is there no one else?

is-there-no-one-else-o.gif

How about Daniel Pemberton

Check at the effortless cool and swagger of this theme. I think he could definitely write a superhero score for a cocky young man turned superhero.

A light/fun Spider-man seems like a great fit for Giacchino.  Of course, if it ends in a standard Marvel end-of-the-world smash-em-up, we haven't seen any composers elevate that yet.

Bilbo Skywalker likes this

He's going to go overboard with the chorus and certain kind of themes again. A lot of his chorus just sounds tacked on. Like in Sanctimonous just getting in the way of the brass and the harpsichord/sitar/whatever.

KK likes this

Ok, what does 'Homecoming' even mean in this context? (apart from a blatant attempt to distance itself from all previous incarnations)

It has a double meaning:

Homecoming = Spiderman finally coming back into Marvel's hands.

Homecoming = Peter coming back home after school.

Yeah. It's basically when colleges (and some high schools) invite all their alumni back to campus to celebrate festivities, usually ending with a big football game + concert. At least that's how we do it in Canada.

I have a feeling it will be a significantly more fun film than standard MCU fair.  More Iron Man 1 than Thor 2.

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

I have a feeling it will be a significantly more fun film than standard MCU fair.  More Iron Man 1 than Thor 2.

Thor 2 was almost a straight up comedy.

52 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

There's a thing here in the US (and I think Canada?) called a homecoming weekend for high schools and colleges with a parade and a dance and stuff for the school and I always think that when I see the title.

46 minutes ago, KK said:

Yeah. It's basically when colleges (and some high schools) invite all their alumni back to campus to celebrate festivities, usually ending with a big football game + concert. At least that's how we do it in Canada.

Sounds like boring, mindless North American crap.

Pass, I guess. I'll be waiting for the next Spider-Man reboot, thank you very much. Won't have to wait long, I'm sure.

TheUlyssesian likes this

Yeah, it's overrated hoopla. I usually take advantage of all the food trucks around and then go back to my regular day.

32 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Thor 2 was almost a straight up comedy.

Even more so when they reused the plot for Guardians.

There are too many Spider-Man scores about, methinks, none of them spectacular (my favourite has to be Horner's, closely followed by Elfman's first). I think Giacchino could nail this - a film that took what we saw in Civil War and make a cheeky Marvel film out of it would really suit his style. The hero's theme has to be right though, as Zimmer showed us how not to do it.

Horner's theme was the best written, most heroic and most hummable.

Elfman's theme captured the Spider-Man spirit best.

Zimmer's theme was introducing the evening news...

I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I like Zimmer and the other 6 Composers' melodramatic love theme and even kind of enjoyed their crazy pop song style for Electro and that pounding Rhino motif that was transformed into a pop song. Nice and catchy and fun, but for me, he doesn't really touch Elfman and Horner's stuff.

1 minute ago, leeallen01 said:

I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I like Zimmer and the other 6 Composers' melodramatic love theme and even kind of enjoyed their crazy pop song style for Electro and that pounding Rhino motif that was transformed into a pop song. Nice and catchy and fun, but for me, he doesn't really touch Elfman and Horner's stuff.

Agreed. While I would certainly loved another Horner score, or Christopher Young to take his own swing of the baton again, Zimmer's score wasn't so bad. It wasn't great, but it was different and there were some good things about it. For me, it had some sort of odd, corny charm to it. If he'd relied a little less on the dubstep stuff I might have liked it a little more, though.

leeallen01 likes this