• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Damien F

Michael Giacchino's Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

606 posts in this topic

Who wants to take bets he'll use the 60s cartoon Spider-Man theme? I think it could work!

He already recorded a new version of that, see the video in the first post

I'm certainly looking forward to it more than Rogue One and War of the POTA

I'm more curious about what Rogue One will sound like but I guess that's not the same thing as looking forward to.

That looks thoroughly mediocre.

I've become really conscious of how generic and homogenised Marvel films look since watching that cinematography analysis video. Nothing in that trailer suggests anything we haven't seen ad nauseum recently.

You had to watch an analysis video to realize that? Come on crumbs, you're worth better than that!

Right from the start, with the first few Marvel flicks (Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk...), you could tell the look of these movies was generic.

13 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

You had to watch an analysis video to realize that? Come on crumbs, you're worth better than that!

Right from the start, with the first few Marvel flicks (Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk...), you could tell the look of these movies was generic.

Don't get me wrong, I've always been irritated by how generic and flat Marvel films look (don't get me started on the scores) but I never had the inclination to connect the dots. That video did it for me. After all, Marvel films aren't high art or worthy of deep analysis; they're just mass-produced entertainment.

It's becoming tiresome how their films endlessly recycle the same dreary, grey environments we see with our own eyes daily. Every shot decision is so bland and safe and uninteresting, even the most lazy film student could storyboard it with their eyes shut. I legitimately don't think you could frame a shot like this any more boringly if you tried:

Screen-Shot-2016-05-06-at-12.53.34-AM-85

leeallen01 likes this

Finally people are seeing the light.

Though Alex knew it even before the first was released. He's that good!

Well, I think Giacchino will have a lot of fun with this one!

Assuming he actually has time to score it properly after War of the Apes, which will be right after Rogue One... though supposedly his other 2017 scores (Book of Henry and Coco) are already done at least... Until he gets signed onto something else!

Once likes this

Recording one week after War of the Planet of the Apes... how much time did he spend writing this?

Well there goes my theory that Giacchino will be at Star Wars Celebration!

Giacchino is okay as the composer for this - he can do good, flexible fun as in Speed Racer. Themes are also great now that Marvel has decided to pay attention to this angle. But two things make him one of the worst composers out there:

1. The silly recording quality on album. Yes, he grew up in the early 70s when everything was mono and closemiked. Does it mean he has to keep victimising the huge orchestras he commands with the same limitations nowadays - not in the films, on cd? Seriously, his work sounds like utter shite because of the recording quality. Check out the piece he did for Cloverfield that was not constrained by the mania of his usual sound enforcer - great sounding stuff

2. Action music. He does well on this front and I used to love a lot of his VG work. Nowadays, it gets into that repetitive, dry groove that Brian Tyler does endlessly, and Harry Gregson-Williams used to do. It just sounds like dry stale bread, and it actually hurts my teeth, like chewing metal. It would be great if MG would let Chad Seiter write some of this stuff - give him a cocomposing credit. He is so much better at it as can be seen with his Recore score which kicks all MG out of the water outside of the very early Medal of Honor stuff.

Giacchino does well but he seems to be a bit lost amidst his success. He has folks like Tilton and Seiter by him. Let these guys get some of the credit. And I am not one of these guys!

11 hours ago, thestat said:

Giacchino is okay as the composer for this - he can do good, flexible fun as in Speed Racer. Themes are also great now that Marvel has decided to pay attention to this angle. But two things make him one of the worst composers out there:

1. The silly recording quality on album. Yes, he grew up in the early 70s when everything was mono and closemiked. Does it mean he has to keep victimising the huge orchestras he commands with the same limitations nowadays - not in the films, on cd? Seriously, his work sounds like utter shite because of the recording quality. Check out the piece he did for Cloverfield that was not constrained by the mania of his usual sound enforcer - great sounding stuff

2. Action music. He does well on this front and I used to love a lot of his VG work. Nowadays, it gets into that repetitive, dry groove that Brian Tyler does endlessly, and Harry Gregson-Williams used to do. It just sounds like dry stale bread, and it actually hurts my teeth, like chewing metal. It would be great if MG would let Chad Seiter write some of this stuff - give him a cocomposing credit. He is so much better at it as can be seen with his Recore score which kicks all MG out of the water outside of the very early Medal of Honor stuff.

Giacchino does well but he seems to be a bit lost amidst his success. He has folks like Tilton and Seiter by him. Let these guys get some of the credit. And I am not one of these guys!

I disagree with both of your points, it just sounds like salty, undercooked criticism. Chad Seiter's work on the ST VG's was bland as fuck, it didn't have the punch that MG's scores have.

Themes are also great now that Marvel has decided to pay attention to this angle.

When didn't they? It stands out now, after all this time?

Interesting reprisal of the old 60's theme... I'd bet this particular presentation plays at the start of the credits, like Courage's Theme in Star Trek.

I like it.

Would be cool if this was the actual theme for the character in the film too, and not just a one-off rendition of the original theme song.

Stuff like this makes me sorta dismiss all the complaints around these parts of Gia taking these franchises. He's like the only composer willing to take the piss and embrace the silly self-referential novelty of these things. He's good for them.

Yeah, sometimes I wish he'd push his boundaries more and take himself a little more seriously because he's too talented to keep falling back on the gimmicks, but on the other hand I like this kinda goofy musical persona he's fashioned for himself.

leeallen01 likes this

I can't take him seriously! He has become intellectually insignificant.

Spider-Pig is definitely what I think of first when I hear that tune!

Was going to say I didn't think this was a particularly good theme, but I didn't realise it was a callback to an old spiderman theme. Let's hope like his Star Trek, his spiderman theme is better than the old theme he calls back to in the credits.

2 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

Let's hope like his Star Trek, his spiderman theme is better than the old theme he calls back to in the credits.

Good ol' SUH is looking for trouble!

SafeUnderHill likes this

Oh come now, the original series main theme is easily the least of all the main Star Trek themes (outside of the Enterprise opening credits which I'm pretty sure violate the Geneva Conventions)

Maybe as presented in its cheesy 60's form, but definitely not in more proper arrangements. It's a great theme, much better than Gia's.

Where's @Stefancos when you need him?!

I love the melody, but I've never heard it where it doesn't sound cheesy and of its time, including in Giacchino's arrangement.

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Maybe as presented in its cheesy 60's form, but definitely not in more proper arrangements. It's a great theme, much better than Gia's.

I agree. Gia's Trek theme is easily one of his most grating.

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I'm far from the greatest fan of the Alexander Courage theme, but its far far far better then that shite Gia wrote!

On 9/12/2016 at 11:56 AM, BloodBoal said:

Thank you Mr Gunn!

This looks awesome, and Gia is indeed perfect for the MCU.  What's most frustrating about Marvel music isn't the lack of quality themes; it's the filmmakers' inconsistency and amnesia in applying and referencing them. 

The themes are almost never bad; they're just too numerous.  We've had three wildly different Iron Man themes (two of them decent, IMHO), only one of which ever appeared in a non-Iron Man score (and even then, it was the merest of fleeting references by the same composer who wrote it!).  It's been more or less the same deal for Captain America, despite two composers (Silvestri and Jackman) getting a second shot at composing for the character. 

Ironically, the best custodian of prior themes (arguably and by a narrow margin) has been Brian Tyler, whose original Marvel themes have been some of the least impressive, but who brought back Silvestri's Cap march for a brilliant cameo in Thor 2 and made the aforementioned nod at his own Iron Man 3 theme in Avengers 2, while also maybe using some of Silvestri's Avengers theme in that second film (although I think all of the tracks that feature it are credited to Danny Elfman).

What's really vexing, though, is the way every couple of years, they seem to start caring about continuity, as in the two attempts (so far) at a Marvel Studios fanfare.  (Let's see if Gia's excellent effort breaks Tyler's record and makes it all the way to Spider-Man or Thor 3.)  The cameos are another thematic bait-and-switch.  Cap's march pops up in Avengers, Thor 2, and Winter Soldier, so maybe it still matters!  Wait, no.  Civil War comes and goes with nary a note of it, despite ample opportunities for heartbreaking variations or breakdowns.  Ditto the Avengers theme, which showed up in an admirably evolved form in Avengers 2 and cameoed delightfully in Ant-Man, but again vanished completely in a story devoted to breaking up the very team it represented, in first fun then tragic fashion.  Think of the wasted musical possibilities.  (Silvestri also whiffed on what could have been several showcase moments for Patrick Doyle's triumphant theme from the first Thor.) 

If the reports are true that Silvestri is coming back for Infinity War, I'm guessing we'll finally get a nice return of the Cap march (but probably in a funereal setting, alas) and maybe a reversion to the original Avengers theme, which would be a loss in my book, since Elfman's update was both musically satisfying and thematically appropriate for a the newish team roster.  But I have very little confidence that Christophe Beck's great Ant-Man theme, any of the Iron Man or Thor themes, or even the Guardians theme will show up in Infinity War.  (Actually, Guardians would be easy, since it's such a short phrase, but I'm still betting it won't happen.)

Which brings us back to Giacchino, who is the arguably the best deployer of other composers' themes in the business (Lost World, Death Star, and Imperial motifs, anyone?).  I'm desperately curious to see how he chooses to represent Tony Stark in Spider-Man, and I frankly wouldn't complain he were scoring Infinity War rather than Silvestri.  Silvestri may have written two of the MCU's best themes, but at this point, Giacchino has the better track record when it come to reusing them. 

26 minutes ago, igger6 said:

I'm desperately curious to see how he chooses to represent Tony Stark in Spider-Man

Does Stark have more of a role than just that scene from the trailers? It seems like just a cameo in which case there may be no call for a thematic reprisal.