• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Damien F

Michael Giacchino's Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

606 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

What? Did Desplat's sessions leak??

Pretty funny 😂 

12 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Substandard *even* for Giacchino. 

?

Rogue One and Star Trek were great.

Will likes this

I still like the Star Trek Beyond score quite a bit.  Rogue One was like the Uncanny Valley of film scores.  Still can't take listening to it much.

Cerebral Cortex likes this

I agree completely. I'd even go so far as to say that Beyond has some of the best pieces of music Giacchino has written. There is an infectious fun and energy to the whole album, and the action music isn't a glaring weakness like it has been on some of his recent works (at least for me). 

Arpy likes this

The first and foremost function of a film score is to not cut a great album but to work IN THE FILM.

As such, Rogue One is a very functional film score and works well in the film. Specially during the massive finale (basically the second half of the film), Gia lets lose quite a racket and it serves the hyper pace of the film. Again, a functional film score which serves the film well. It's not as elegant or refined a score as we are used to for Star Wars but Williams unfortunately cannot score every movie in existence. 

12 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The first and foremost function of a film score is to not cut a great album but to work IN THE FILM.

As such, Rogue One is a very functional film score and works well in the film. Specially during the massive finale (basically the second half of the film), Gia lets lose quite a racket and it serves the hyper pace of the film. Again, a functional film score which serves the film well. It's not as elegant or refined a score as we are used to for Star Wars but Williams unfortunately cannot score every movie in existence. 

I would totally agree with functional. But I don't think functional is all that great a compliment. 

TheUlyssesian likes this

Don't agree. The music more than once negatively stood out, i. e. those damn brass triplets that were plastered clumsily over the action scenes. I don't think the score was an offense but all things considered, a lame movie wasn't lifted by its score which is the one thing you could say about those prequels.

Gia trying his hand at those brass triplets which are second nature to JW didn't really work very well, i agree.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

Don't agree. The music more than once negatively stood out, i. e. those damn brass triplets that were plastered clumsily over the action scenes. I don't think the score was an offense but all things considered, a lame movie wasn't lifted by its score which is the one thing you could say about those prequels.

It's a mercy you could hear the music at all. I think it's a plus that the music was mixed loudly in the sound mix. These days I feel I am either going deaf or I can bearly hear film scores in the cinema hall with all the thunderous sound effects. I think in Rogue One I could hear the score throughout which was nice.

5 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I would totally agree with functional. But I don't think functional is all that great a compliment. 

It's a compliment in context though. Wasn't it a rush job if I remember correctly. Poor Gia having to write the most massive score of his career in like 6 weeks or something. He still delivered a fully symphonic score with 5 major themes instead of the ambient rubbish that we get in big budget movies these days. So it was nice that he still delivered a "proper" film score. You get the sense he cared about this job and did not phone it in with a hackjob like Spiderman.

I don't know, i just listened to that suite and i it seems more assured than those tries at Wagnerian might. To praise a score for being loudly mixed sounds a bit like the old Woody Allen joke about the old ladies complaining about the bad food/small servings.

I have to say that the third act, the Battle over Scarif had some overbearing, clanging, banging and as pub has said, those damn random brass triplets everywhere. For however the prequel scores have been criticised for anonymity and lack of direction in the scores, I think they had more purpose than Rogue One's filling silence. The first two acts had clear engaging music, which complimented the scenes, and I can't help but think the messiness of the score at the end battle (before 'Your Father Would Be Proud') was somehow because of the restructured edits to the end of the film, and Gia shitting himself trying to write anything to accompany it.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

If that was a prboelm for him, then they should have called JNH!

Did you have your covfefe this morning?

7 minutes ago, GiacchinoCues said:

It might also have to do with the fact he had four and a half weeks to write an entire score. :)

That too! Aside from little niggles and complaints, it's still certainly an amazing feat to write a fully fledged score, with good themes to boot!

16 minutes ago, GiacchinoCues said:

It might also have to do with the fact he had four and a half weeks to write an entire score. :)

Thats his excuse for Rogue One. I don't think it works for his other numerous poor scores though. 

KK likes this

Someone other than JW writing the score for a Star Wars film was never going to be met with universal enthusiasm and acclaim

Arpy likes this

But someone more competent might have earned more deserved admiration for his effort.

Bilbo Skywalker likes this

I decided to make an example of what Marvel could be musically if they had any continuity in their scores.

There's some quick examples in this, and some full examples of how great it could have been.

I used Captain America: Civil War clips, and replaced Jackman's awful and forgettable score with Silvestri's Captain America, Giacchino's Spider-Man, Beck's Ant-man, and Tyler's Iron Man.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=E7092C5B13F6FE4C&id=E7092C5B13F6FE4C!805&parId=root&o=OneUp 

Will likes this

2 hours ago, KK said:

But someone more competent might have earned more deserved admiration for his effort.

I'll admit I lost most of my enthusiasm for the score as soon as Desplat left.  

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I decided to make an example of what Marvel could be musically if they had any continuity in their scores.

There's some quick examples in this, and some full examples of how great it could have been.

I used Captain America: Civil War clips, and replaced Jackman's awful and forgettable score with Silvestri's Captain America, Giacchino's Spider-Man, Beck's Ant-man, and Tyler's Iron Man.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=E7092C5B13F6FE4C&id=E7092C5B13F6FE4C!805&parId=root&o=OneUp 

Link's not working. Is this not finished? 

Audi commercial tracked with Gia's score. Specially the statement of the main theme for the end title. I guess, it is recognizable, but still a very basic main theme.

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

It should work.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Akz-9hNbLAnnhiW4yB1TkU6dvoDd

I'l look later when I'm home. And if not then I'll upload it to youtube and post the link.

Wow i'm pleasantly surprised how well SpiderMan's theme works on those footage. It might very well be nice in the upcoming film. But it'll stay lackluster to listen to as a standalone track.

leeallen01 likes this

On 19. Juni 2017 at 8:48 AM, GiacchinoCues said:

Really. People should really keep their mouths shut talking smack about a score like Rogue One being "clumsy", when it's been written in such a short timeframe.

Force Awakens was worked on for how long? A year? And it's not that much more enjoyable than Rogue One. Yes, I mean that.

First of all, don't tell people to stop talking about anything. You of all people don't have that right.

Secondly, are you saying TFA is as messy as Rogue One? Actually...what are you saying?

Are you one of those who's childhood memories got raped by Williams' TFA score? I seem to recall...

gkgyver is an absolute disaster - failing in all the states. We need a complete repeal and replace.

I think that what gkgyver is saying, is that R1's score had a short gestation period, and TFA's score had a long gestation period, yet the finished products were about the same, ie not very good. 

Whether R1 would be a better score than it is, if MG was involved for longer, cannot be determined, but I'd like to think that he would have aced it, had he more time. That the R1 score is as bad as some people suggest, is not, I think, MG's fault. Any finished product would be better if one had four months to work on it, rather than four weeks. At least, that's the theory. An alternate theory is that dome people don't need four months to work on something, but that is, of course, a whole other story...

Didn't Williams write Empire Strikes Back in 4-6 weeks?