Samples sound interesting. The action stuff sounds far more high-octane than anything we've heard from the composer so far. Bit of Thomas Newman in the softer parts.

After listening to Pride and Prejudice again I'm really starting to get a good feel for Marianelli's writing style. In this case he moulds the music to the film, a period piece, to evoke chamber music quite often and otherwise very English-sounding piano melodies, which always leave me stunned. I love his incorporation of the piano in this score and in the newer film Darkest Hour.

Bumblebee feels like a score contorted to fit a certain mould, and when it isn't drowned out by explosions and headache-inducing sound effects, it's left with two themes that serve as connective tissue between the audience and the characters. When it's just doing it's own quirky thing, or playing with Charlie's theme it's lovely, but I feel it was certainly a shift for Marianelli to have to write 2018 action music to fill in what little soundscape there is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Last september took place in Rome the concert Novant'Ennio to celebrate Morricone's 90th birthday. For that concert Nicola Piovani and Dario Marianelli composed homage pieces dedicated to the Maestro. I'll leave you below the one composed by Marianelli that is based on a theme he wrote for Third Person (2013), for the story that takes place in Rome. It is heartbreaking.

"Piccola Serenata per il novantesimo compleanno di un giovane compositore" (dedicated to Ennio Morricone)

Director, Carlo Rizzari
Accordion, Pietro Roffi
Orchestra dell'Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia

Roma, Auditorium Parco della Musica
(Sala Santa Cecilia)

• 4 months later...

Dario Marianelli is set to compose the music for Matteo Garrone’s upcoming new live-action film adaptation of Carlo Collodi’s Pinocchio. 

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/07/08/dario-marianelli-to-score-matteo-garrones-pinocchio/

• 1 month later...

According to IMDb Dario Marianelli is working on the new adaptation of The Secret Garden, directed by Marc Munden, and produced by Rosie Alison and David Hayman, producers of Paddington.

Recently, Roshan Gunga, a composer that Marianelli mentors, published this photo on Instagram with Marianelli conducting:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz6FeFdhNWV/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Captura.JPG

• 3 months later...

Dario Marianelli has composed the soundtrack for the new Italian adaptation of "Pinocchio" directed by Matteo Garrone, which will be released here in Italy on December 19th.
Marianelli's music is heard in these two clips from the film:

• 1 year later...

Not sure if I should be surprised that it took this long to release on CD. I guess because of TF4 and TF5 releasing around when the movies would've.

Can't say I remember the score particularly well, but I'm always up to revisit it as a semi-nerd of the franchise.

I remember quite liking the score. 

As refreshing to have a non-Jablonsky score as it was refreshing to get a non-Bay film.

• 1 year later...

Marianelli is re-uniting with Travis Knight for his upcoming stop-motion animated feature Wildwood.

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/05/24/dario-marianelli-to-score-travis-knights-wildwood/

I'm always excited for a new Marianelli score, particularly with this director; I absolutely loved his score for Kubo And The Two Strings, and Bumblebee was a surprisingly good effort (and a nice departure from the Jablonsky Transformers sound).