"Jedi Steps" - The Concert Arrangement Version

Jay

We played the whole suite last night, but skipped the concert version and played the film version instead with the optional concert ending to the end credits.  It would have been nice to try the concert version too, but it was still great.  I didn't realize the end credits featured an extended version of Poe's theme in the suite - that was fun and unexpected!

Really awesome info. We're playing the suite in Oct and this is going to come handy to decide which Jedi steps to perform. Although it's a cool piece I think we'll go with the one that includes the finale as it's probably going to end the concert. 

At the end of the end credits I'd advise against using the concert ending, it's really abrupt and doesn't quite fit the winding down flow of the piece.  The film ending, which is included as an option, is definitely superior.

I wonder if the concert ending was an alternate from early TFA sessions?

The film version is definitely superior, more in line with the delicate nature of Rey's Theme (and his less bombastic end credits pieces from the first two prequels, with their clever intertwining of Anakin's Theme/Across The Stars with the Imperial March).

In all 3 instances it's a charming little hint of what's to come in the next movie.

8 hours ago, Joe Brausam said:

At the end of the end credits I'd advise against using the concert ending, it's really abrupt and doesn't quite fit the winding down flow of the piece.  The film ending, which is included as an option, is definitely superior.

Definitely my preference too. Should be a fun concert, can't wait to play the suite. I'm not sure of the rest of the program yet, but I know Elfman's Suite from Batman is on there. Plus some Star Trek stuff. Should be a busy concert for sure. 

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Does anyone else hear the almost sinister, apocalyptic vibe of Dracula in this arrangement?

Yes, that and the original binary sunset without the ornamental winds.

On 22/08/2016 at 9:41 PM, crumbs said:

Does anyone else hear the almost sinister, apocalyptic vibe of Dracula in this arrangement?

I actually found the harmonic development much in line with his classic EMPIRE score from the series. Kind of a throwback to the dark material. Anyway's very cool. I don't know if this was specifically written for the CONCERT suite alone or if it had been actually written and recorded for the film scene and then re-edited and cut but nonetheless landed as a Concert piece.It would be cool to have it as a bonus in future expanded set (I hope)

2 hours ago, azahid said:

I actually found the harmonic development much in line with his classic EMPIRE score from the series. Kind of a throwback to the dark material. Anyway's very cool. I don't know if this was specifically written for the CONCERT suite alone or if it had been actually written and recorded for the film scene and then re-edited and cut but nonetheless landed as a Concert piece.It would be cool to have it as a bonus in future expanded set (I hope)

Maybe it'll be the first cue of Episode VIII! ;)

5 hours ago, azahid said:

It was specifically written for the Hal Leonard sheet music release. The film cue is not edited. 

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

It was specifically written for the Hal Leonard sheet music release. The film cue is not edited. 

Does the Hal Leonard sheet specify that in the notes? I'am only assuming that a longer edit probably had more music before it was toned down. Ah well, I was hoping that would be the case as it would make a great alternate in a future expanded set.

Your assumption is wrong.  He wrote the concert version after the recording sessions were completed.  The film / album version of the cue contains no edits to what was recorded.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Your assumption is wrong.  He wrote the concert version after the recording sessions were completed.  The film / album version of the cue contains no edits to what was recorded.

Was it actually confirmed that he wrote it after, or are we just assuming that?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Williams has often written expansions for concert performance for Star Wars. This is nothing new anyway

Indeed.

39 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Was it actually confirmed that he wrote it after, or are we just assuming that?

There was a report that he decided to extend this piece for the official Hal Leonard collection, which he was working on after his duties for recording the music for the film were complete.

On 2016. 08. 15. at 7:08 PM, crumbs said:

I wouldn't be surprised if a reworked version of the theme was the film's opening cue, considering VIII starts where VII ended.

It's a logical musical callback which immediately sets the scene for the adventure ahead, and Williams would undoubtedly put a clever spin on the cue if Luke has become a broken man.

Something like the opening of The Two Towers. Music we know, a scene we know, then it transitions in an unexpected direction.

This I can get behind! :)

That’s how I imagine it too, and I think the theme in general can be used as a new Jedi-specific theme, it has that mysterious, larger-than-life quality for me, but my secret wish is that Luke didn’t become an irreversibly bittered old hermit and we’ll hear glimpses of his innocent theme clearly representing him for some nice moments, not just for random nostalgic/hopeful Star Wars-y scenes like in EPVII

• 2 months later...

While it is quite a good concert suite, I don't think it is one of Williams' best and to me feels like it is lacking something.

To be exact, it is lacking the build-up to the subsequently brilliant end credits!

But still, I'm glad to have this in addition to the film version. :D

I don't get the purpose of this arrangement. I fell asleep before the end of the video.

It's like the Throne Room And Finale... no one ever got the idea to separate the "Throne Room" theme from the "Finale"! I mean, this piece is meaned to be the intro to the End Credits Suite, you simply can't separate them!

JW wrote that arrangement?

1 minute ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

I'm pretty sure he indeed did.... :unsure:

Well, like the other once said... Who's the more foolish; the fool who wrote the arrangement, or the fool who played it in concert? :sarcasm:

24 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Actually, there IS a Throne Room concert arrangement too. But indeed that one contains the Finale as well.

Yes I know and I always hated the repetition of the "bridal" opening, it doesn't make any sense to me. I never get used to it and I never will.

The "bridal" opening is repeated because it is part of the theme, it was used as the ending for the End Credits for SW 77 too.

14 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

The "bridal" opening is repeated because it is part of the theme, it was used as the ending for the End Credits for SW 77 too.

False, the trumpet opening "taaaa-da-da-da" is only heard at the beginning on the OST, it don't get repeated twice. It doesn't have to.

Playing the suite tonight. We're not doing the concert arrangement of Jedi steps, we're playing the end credits version. I have to say it feels a bit weird to repeat Rey's theme and March of the Resistance so close after playing their respective movements. Of well, pretty fun to play as a lead trumpet player. Ensign Kim (Garrett Wang) is the host. Obviously we're playing a Star Trek medley

Cool indeed.

I wonder whether LSO will play something from TFA next month... Star Wars: Highlights sounds big vague. Would be nice to hear at least Jedi Steps and Finale.

Karol

7 hours ago, Bespin said:

False, the trumpet opening "taaaa-da-da-da" is only heard at the beginning on the OST, it don't get repeated twice. It doesn't have to.

Nope its played three times!  Including at the very end!

0:00

0:48

5:11