Does The Prophecy from FOTR reference Wagner's Parsifal?

Dixon Hill

The prologue of the film went through many versions before what they settled on. They talk about it on the old FOTR EE bonus features, and there's even a storyboard version of one version of it.

Yes, I know that, thank you.

What I'm talking about here is the supposedly four minutes long composition Shore wrote for one of those shorter edits. It seems the one Doug is talking about is the one heard in The Prophecy, but we know that one isn't 4 minutes long. Hence the confusion.

Maybe at the time Doug was told the Prophecy track wasn't edited by someone so he went with it.  Who knows.

The Annotated Score were free PDFs made available online at the time of the CR releases; They were not included inside the CRs.  And yes, the book doesn't really talk about alternate versions of scenes or music.

Well in that case I guess it's possible that Doug didn't know the Prologue was an edited track and was working on the assumption that it was a complete piece for the prologue? 

Seems unlikely but possible? 

Just now, Jay said:

Thank you, they were no longer available by the time I got my copies of the CRs!

Maybe I already have them then. Will have to check later on. 

How can you even remember something like that? Struggling to remember if I've ever read them!

I didn't remember specifically giving the links to you, I just remembered posting the annotated scores some time ago after someone asked for them. And after doing a quick research (to repost the links in this thread), I stumbled upon that post and realized it was you who asked for the annotated scores back then!

Well if they're not on the laptop at home I'll definitely download them and make sure I know them by heart so I don't need to get them a third time! 

I don't think the Wraith material in the middle of FotR is detrimental. After all, what other material is there in the film? Not much worthy picking over the existing OST tracks.

And I'd rather have that than that section of the film not being represented. The OST does a great job. I have more problems with some choices for RotK.

3 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

Is it Gondor Ascension/Decline Gondor or Silver Trumpets Gondor?

Or perhaps Gondor 2nd Age theme heard in the very same Prologue version? ;)

So basically, to edit the complete cue, you'd do

0:00-1:11 = TRA 0:00-1:11

1:11-1:27 = TRA 1:11-1:27 OR OST 1:11-1:28

1:27-1:54 = TRA 1:27-1:54

(unknown length) = Microedited out section that's "Gondorian" goes here

1:54-2:45 = TRA 1:54-2:45

2:45-3:22 = OST 1:28-2:05

3:22-3:30 = TRA 2:45-2:51 OR OST 2:05-2:13

3:30-3:40 = TRA 2:51-3:01

3:40-4:51 = TRA 3:01-4:11 OR OST 0:00-1:11

4:51-5:05 = TRA 4:11-4:25

5:05-end = OST 2:13-end (because there's a microedit at 4:57 of TRA version)

EDIT: This is out of date, for corrected version go here

On 8/11/2016 at 5:55 AM, Jim Ware said:

2:44 Insert 1:28-2:05 of The Prophecy here

That sounds a bit awkward, are you sure that is correct?

7 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

On 11/08/2016 at 11:55 AM, Jim Ware said:

2:44 Insert 1:28-2:05 of The Prophecy here

That sounds a bit awkward, are you sure that is correct?

We're probably missing a few seconds of music here, which explains why it doesn't work.

I can't believe I've had the Rarities disc for almost 6 years, listened to it countless times, and never noticed that in the Prologue track, the music from 3:00-4:11 is more or less the same thing as the music from 0:00-1:11!

Why did Shore write it this way?  Was the onscreen footage in those two sections connected in some way that it made sense to repeat the music almost verbatim?

I know they are not exactly identical (different instrumentation and choral words), but they are VERY similar!

In regards to the OST track editing, this is how it goes:

OST 0:00-0:57 = TRA 3:00-3:56
OST 057-1:27 = TRA 0:57-1:27
OST 1:27-2:05 = music edited out of TRA version (it belongs at about 2:44)
OST 2:05-2:13 = TRA 2:44-2:50
OST 2:13-2:46 = TRA 4:25-4:57 [but it seems to be a different take - note creaking chair at OST 2:19 that's not at TRA 4:32 for example]

OST 2:46-2:57 = music edited out of TRA version

OST 2:57-end = TRA 4:57-end [but clearly a different take, OST version has nice plucked strings from 3:04-3:31 not in TRA 5:04-5:31)

For numerous reasons (louder / better mixed choir, overal better mix and sound, superior take for ending portion) I recommend using the OST whenever possible when making a combo edit.

In other words, do this:

TRA 0:00-0:57

OST 0:57-1:27

TRA 1:27-2:44

OST 1:27-2:13

TRA 2:50-3:01

OST 0:00-0:57

TRA 3:57-4:25

OST 2:13-end