Does The Prophecy from FOTR reference Wagner's Parsifal?

Dixon Hill

33 minutes ago, Fennel Ka said:

I believe the connection is The history of the Ring being Narrated by Galadriel/whoever.

Yes it would certainly seem so, if the prologue retained the same general outline as in the finished cut. Instead of the History of the Ring theme, the early prologue has this singular choral melody accompanied by the Ring Verse lyrics.

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The more important question is: why did Shore bother replacing the first minute of the prologue with that latter part on the OST track, when they are both very similar? Why not just leave it as it is?

The unfathomable mysteries of soundtrack album assembly.

15 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Dat cello 

The world is changed because of it. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air .

I agree with @Faleel, the reason Shore edited the OST version that way is surely because the performance with the cello line backing is a little more lively than the version that opens the cue proper.

The more I listen to the RA version, the more it kinds annoys me that the entire first minute+ of the cue plays again almost verbatim a couple minutes later.  I actually enjoy the beauty of the OST edit now, it covers all the important material (minus the actual battle footage) nicely.  To that end, I realize an alternate edit you can make that restores that stuff but doesn't include the repeated material (and therefore leaves out the little bits that lead into and out of the repeat), you can do this:

OST 0:00-1:27
TRA 1:27-2:44
OST 1:27-end

Sounds pretty good!

Now we REALLY need to hear the "Gondorian" passage chopped out at 1:54!

Well, its not the end of the world [and I absolutely would have preferred the track on the disc to be COMPLETELY unedited), but I like my idea of trying a custom edit without the repeat.  Gonna work on that in a bit actually

The opening cello line from The Prophecy is Top 5 favourite LotR moments.

It is also remarkable that this kind of ancient sounding and flowing writing does not appear anywhere else in the films, the only thing that is close to it, purposefully I assume, is Sammath Naur actually.

I've heard multiple people now describe the opening of The Prophecy as "ancient sounding"... Can anyone describe in more detail what you mean? What aspects of the passage create this feeling?  Any examples of other music with this feel?

No need to be sorry, that is all well put!

And how cool that a Doug Adams piece about the score from before he was ever hired to work on them still exists online!

Oh another difference besides the Cello line, is that in the first appearance the psuedo History of the Ring theme is played by Horns (representing Men?) while in the second appearance it is played by Cor Anglais (Representing Gollum?.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...