Fellowship of the Ring Live To Projection in Toronto - Dec 1-3 2016

KK

9 hours ago, Incanus said:

Yes I fear that is the case.

I don't think you can come to many conclusions because of that.  It's not like people would go just because they like the movie and didn't care one or the other about the score.  It's not like the live orchestra is just incidental and they really just paid many times the price of a cinema ticket to just see the movie.

If you staged a live-to-projection concert for a well-loved film whose score is not also beloved I don't think you'd see this kind of popularity.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't think you can come to many conclusions because of that.  It's not like people would go just because they like the movie and didn't care one or the other about the score.  It's not like the live orchestra is just incidental and they really just paid many times the price of a cinema ticket to just see the movie.

If you staged a live-to-projection concert for a well-loved film whose score is not also beloved I don't think you'd see this kind of popularity.

What I mean is that there is clearly a connection between the cinema event and the music that goes with it in the Live Projection which draws in both people who love the music for its own sake and those who might be less inclined to just go and listen to this music played in the concert hall on its own, the more casual fans. The music and the live orchestra becomes perhaps more accessible to them than a normal classical music concert would as it presented with a film. And I don't see them staging many obscure film with a great score events either.

@KK We expect a full report upon your return from the concert. A thorough report you hear!

Just now, Incanus said:

And I don't see them staging many obscure film with a great score events either.

Touché.

To me this is sort of the 21st century version of what opera was in the 18th century or something.  Like, operas were hugely popular and would draw enormous audiences who would probably never have attended "pure" music concerts.  I'm not a historian so I can't back that up.

3 minutes ago, KK said:

Only the finest for you Inky!! Will post review after the concert!

Which reminds me, I should get busy writing my own for last night's Ennio Morricone 60 years of music concert! It was a blast!

• 3 weeks later...

Stefancos and BloodBoal, if I can ease your pain by posting a totally unrelated review (aka unstructured ravings about how good it was) of tomorrow's ROTK concert in Antwerp, I'd be happyto oblige. Just can't wait for For Frodo... 

Would be unique to get the perspective of a blind person! Educational and inspirational. Far more valuable than another KK review...

1 minute ago, KK said:

Great work takes time you ungrateful little shits!

You fatigue me, Sir!

Go and trouble me no more...

IMG_7866.GIF

How dare you give me the hand Stefan Cosman!?

This is war.

Also, I'm basically going blind, so that's gotta count for something.

• 1 month later...