The Lord Of The Rings - OST / Complete Recordings Differences

Jim Ware

http://www.lyndhurstconsulting.co.uk/fotr_...t_breakdown.pdf :|

This is incomplete and preliminary. I just noticed that I completely forgot to comment on the alternates at the end of At the Sign of the Prancing Pony.

UPDATED - now includes 'Farewell to Lorien' from 'The Two Towers' limited edition soundtrack.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.lyndhurstconsulting.co.uk/fotr_...t_breakdown.pdf :P

This is incomplete and preliminary.  I just noticed that I completely forgot to comment on the alternates at the end of At the Sign of the Prancing Pony.

UPDATED - now includes 'Farewell to Lorien' from 'The Two Towers' limited edition soundtrack.

Thanks so much for doing this Jim! I was trying myself to figure out which tracks to keep from the OST and not getting very far past the Prologue and Concerning Hobbits. So I know you sort of posted this already, but which tracks from the OST are worth keeping? (And by that, I mean which tracks have different music from the box.)

From your notes, it looks as if there are significant changes in every track except OST4 and Farewell to Lorien. On OST13, what's the inexplicable edit? When you say "Theatrical Cue" does that mean it's the theatrical version, as opposed to the EE version? So are the theatrical cues just different edits or is there different music there?

Thanks for all your work on this, although now it appears that rather than taking a few choice tracks from the OST, I'll be keeping them all!

Yes, I don't hear any edits in the last part of Balin's Tomb (or ANY, for that matter.) It seems the same as the OST with a slightly different mix.

I've updated the Fellowship OST breakdown on my site. I hadn't noticed that the big statement of the Fellowship Theme that closes the original album isn't on the box. The version at the end of disc three is tracked from the The Council of Elrond! I've also added timings for the mixed out choir in Saruman the White.

Fellowship OST breakdown

ADMIN Note: Updated link:

http://www.lyndhursthouse.plus.com/fotr_ost_breakdown.pdf

I've updated the Fellowship OST breakdown on my site.  I hadn't noticed that the big statement of the Fellowship Theme that closes the original album isn't on the box.  The version at the end of disc three is tracked from the The Council of Elrond!  I've also added timings for the mixed out choir in Saruman the White.

Fellowship OST breakdown

I knew I'd heard that statement before somewhere!

Something I noticed a while back is that the opening to Parth Galen, up until the ring theme ends, appears 3 times in the box (same recording). It's in both KIS, KIS and Conspiracy Unmasked. Makes me wonder which scene it was originally meant for :)

By the way - in your analysis, under The Council of Elrond, you've listed part 3 of the track as an alternate, but the final part (that is tracked into the credits) is also different to what's on the OST. It speeds up more towards the end and to me is clearly different.

Those statements in KIS, KIS and CU and PG are all different recordings. the music preceding the History of the Ring theme is a sort of prelude to the theme used only in FOTR as far as I know.

• 10 months later...

The Two Towers - OST Breakdown. Still a work in progress!

There are fewer alternates on the original album this time. The only pieces missing from the Complete Recordings are the alternate sections of The White Rider and the opening of Forth Eorlingas.

An alternate cue for Gandalf the White's first appearance can be found in the Fan Club Credits. It uses the text The Fight and is much less subdued than the final version. It's not on the original CD or the Complete Recordings.

• 1 year later...
Question about the CRs vs the OSTs: What notable music IS on the OSTs that is NOT on the CRs?

There's the aforementioned alternate opening sequence of FotR (The Prophecy).

The choir is mixed considerably more prominent in a few FotR tracks on the OST (like the Nazgûl leaving Barad-dûr).

An alternate harmonization of the beacon music from RotK.

That's all I can think of right now.

Question about the CRs vs the OSTs: What notable music IS on the OSTs that is NOT on the CRs?

There's the aforementioned alternate opening sequence of FotR (The Prophecy).

The choir is mixed considerably more prominent in a few FotR tracks on the OST (like the Nazgûl leaving Barad-dûr).

An alternate harmonization of the beacon music from RotK.

That's all I can think of right now.

These might help...

FOTR album breakdown

TTT album breakdown

ROTK album breakdown coming soon!

Whoa. After watching that video I just realized what a great parallel Sam pulling Frodo up the cliff is to Frodo pulling Sam out of the water at the end of Fellowship. :D

Whoa. After watching that video I just realized what a great parallel Sam pulling Frodo up the cliff is to Frodo pulling Sam out of the water at the end of Fellowship. :D

Oh yes, good observation! I never realised that!! :)

• 1 month later...

I'm curious about something for the score Fellowship Of The Ring...

The cue "The Prophecy" on the OST is it an alternate for "The Prologue" on the complete recordings? Also can someone give me a break down for all three scores as to what's an alternate and what's not from the OST to the complete recordings?

Alright thanks for the info. I could have sworn someone posted a break down of all three scores vs. the OST and complete recordings a while back? I think it might have been John Takis but can't remember...if anyone has those can you post em' again?

Just to see the difference in cues I guess but I suppose it's redundant. Are the OST's just a watered down version of the complete recordings? I mean are there some tracks on the OST's that are a bit longer than what's on the complete recordings?

I've noticed with sometimes for complete scores cues on their OST counter parts can have cues that are a tad longer and have unused music compared to those on the complete version.

I think it might have been John Takis but can't remember...

Pffft. Close.

I think it was Jim Ware.

I think so too.

FOTR album breakdown

TTT album breakdown

These are old revisions but should give you an idea. I haven't had a chance to finish ROTK yet.

Trent - from my judgement, the OSTs are no more than a 'best of', and many cues seem to contain a lot of alternate performances or early recordings - they are well worth keeping.

I think there's only about one track from all 3 OSTs (The Steward of Gondor) which is presented exactly the same as one cut of the film, completely unedited.

And yes, there are sections where the OST contains more than the CR. There were a number of moments in all three movies where a composition was cut short, but a longer recording was on album, and some of those 'cuts' made it to the CR.

Sort of on the subject, has there ever been a movie in which the score was completely unedited - just presented as recorded, and the CD contained all of the music, again unedited, as recorded and exactly how it sounded in the movie?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey Everyone,

I just got the Complete Recordings (at friggin last) after long years of hard work and saving to buy them, and just started listening to Fellowship. Now, two of the main reasons why I always wanted the CR were Elanor from ROTK and the version of Concerning Hobbits as it is heard in the theatrical version.

I know Elanor is there and I think that was the first thing that I listened when I got the package a couple of days ago, but for some reason I can't seem to find the version of Concerning Hobbits from the theatrical version. I have the regular release and I've been listening to Fellowship in the CR for some time now, but no clue where it is.

The especific part that I'm talking about is the Shire theme played by the fiddle right after the flute introduction in Concerning Hobbits. There's the version of that fiddle phrase as it was released in the regular album, and then there's the version of it from the extended version/CR and then there's the version as heard in the theatrical release.

Any of the experts out there know if it is somewhere in the CR? I really like all three variations of that little fiddle line and I was hopping I'd find it in the CR.

Tried to search something related to this that's already in the message board but couldn't find anything, so my apologies if this is a repeated thread, and thanks in advance for the help. ;)

The CRs are representations of the extended cuts of the movies, not the theatrical versions. Some of those cues will hopefully pop up on the rarities disc (assuming that's still in the make, after what's happening to the CRs).

• 2 years later...

Most of the tracks on the OSTs have something not on the CRs, even if it's just a few seconds here and there with/without choir, etc. As I recall, Jim Ware already did a pretty thorough breakdown of all the OST cues.

Just some examples:

The Prophecy - not on CR at all

Concerning Hobbits - Incomplete theatrical version - not on CR

The Shadow of the Past - Alternate intro

The Treason of Isengard - More choir

The Black Rider - Has an alternate section

At the Sign of the Prancing Pony - Has unused music not on the CR (but is included in the rarities archive)

• 3 months later...

I personally don't think it's worth deciding which tracks to keep from the OSTs. I listened to part of Fellowship at work last week and it made a wonderful half hour of listening, which in CR form would take 3 times that.

So it's not just a library of alternates cues, it's just a really nice compacted listening experience when I don't want the whole shebang.

i dont know, seeing as there was more music recorded for the CR that hadnt been recorded when the film was first cut

so in a way there should a be a OST 2.0