BloodBoal

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Next you'll get your own Hobbit house in the hills of New Zealand along with all props from the set, for the bargain price of $3.2 million!

Compared to property prices in Dublin... Yeah that probably actually is a bargain. 

But guys guys guys... It has leather-bound covers! I'm sure some animals were actually happy to die for an elaborate set like this. It must be worth the price then!

Karol

15 minutes ago, crocodile said:

But guys guys guys... It has leather-bound covers! I'm sure some animals were actually happy to die for an elaborate set like this. It must be worth the price then!

Karol

Faux leather I think. 

On 20.8.2016 at 9:13 PM, Koray Savas said:

Next you'll get your own Hobbit house in the hills of New Zealand along with all props from the set, for the bargain price of $3.2 million!

Hey people tried crowd funding Minas Tirith to be built in the English countryside. And that was a project of £1,850,000,000. Anything can happen. Alas Minas Tirith didn't.

Although I doubt that sheepfarmer in NZ on whose property the Hobbiton set is, would mind having lucrative Hobbit condominiums on his land. And someone would probably pay 3.2 million $ for one.

On 21.8.2016 at 5:59 PM, gkgyver said:

Are the DVDs seriously embedded simply in paper/cardboard slits?

They really didn't think that particular aspect through did they?

On 19-8-2016 at 8:22 PM, gkgyver said:

We'll still be alive.

The real question is: will physical media still be alive to deliver us that ultimate boxset?

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:54 AM, Jay said:

They should have held back on putting all this effort into nice packaging until the version with more bonus features come out.  Now what are they gonna do when that finally happens?

They're damned if they do, damned if they don't in this respect.

If they created significant new features, fans who can't afford the Rectum of Sauron box set would go into a rage.  $800 premium for new features!  They're bleeding us dry!  Outrageous!

As it is, they did not create new features.  Now this boxset is $800! For nothing new!  Are they kidding me!? Outrageous!

So what was Warner to do?  The correct answer is: they should not release an $800 box set for six movies.

For me personally. this box-set is easy to ignore.  I already have all the content, so there is absolutely no impulse to spend $800 or regret NOT spending the $800.  Who cares?

I really feel sorry for all the LOTR die-hard fans!  In my case the Hobbit trilogy totally turned me off, I don't even know if I saw the three movies... The dwarves and the talking dragon... pfff....

About the first three movies, I don't think I will rewatch them soon.... so for me, this is past.

When the 9 Star Wars movie will be out, they will surely make a big boxset like that.  I can assure you I will pass too!

34 minutes ago, Barnald said:

it's likely to fuck you off:

Is that an expression from... whatever country you're from?  I've never heard it before.

Does it mean the same thing as "it's likely to piss you off"?

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is that an expression from... whatever country you're from?  I've never heard it before.

Does it mean the same thing as "it's likely to piss you off"?

Essentially yes, as in 'fucked off'. I hadn't thought if it was particularly English tbh, but I think others use it too. I guess I thought its use was more widespread. It's good for the health to be imaginitive with your swearing.

Like this: http://www.nme.com/news/radiohead/92371

10 minutes ago, Barnald said:

Essentially yes, as in 'fucked off'. I hadn't thought if it was particularly English tbh, but I think others use it too. I guess I thought its use was more widespread. It's good for the health to be imaginitive with your swearing.

Like this: http://www.nme.com/news/radiohead/92371

Interesting.  "Fucked off" in England seems to mean the same thing as "ticked off" / "pissed off" here.  Learn something new every day!

Here’s Problem #3: Peter Jackson and company wanted to make that content, proposed doing so, and the studio passed. (Yes, I’m confident that’s true and we have it from multiple sources now.) It sure ain’t here in this set.

I’ve done a bit of investigative sleuthing and found out the facts that have me seeing red: Peter Jackson faithfully and very earnestly offered (almost a year and half ago, perhaps two years back) to make this current “UCE” into a true “Unicorn Edition.” Michael Pellerin and PJ together proposed to WBHE that this combination of all six movies would be the perfect opportunity to send-off the Middle-earth Saga with a comprehensive look back. It would allow them to do brand spanking new 2-hour documentaries for each of the films featuring those outtakes and bloopers I have extolled; with even more frank discussion about “hot button” issues they couldn’t talk about at the time but now with the ease of time passing could be elucidated.

The kicker: Warner Bros. refused to pay for this. They balked and said, “We would only do ONE two-hour documentary, not a whole bunch of them, so let’s scale this whole thing back.” I’ve been told by the most reliable sources that PJ decided he would rather not do a half-assed retrospective and it would not be in alignment with what he had been enthused about for so long (we’ve all heard him in the Director’s Commentaries mentioning this possible “Unicorn Edition” even though he didn’t use that exact term).

:(

And when this $800 box set is an unmitigated failure as far as sales volume, they will naturally say interest in the series is dead and wash their hands of it.

Sorry Peter, but you really should've included all the cool stuff in the first place. It was a nice thought to "hold stuff back" for down the line but as the saying goes, make hay while the sun shines. The so-called abundance of deleted/alternate scenes will probably never see the light of day. Too much time passed between trilogies and The Hobbit never came close to the frenzied popularity of LOTR.

Saddest of all, if studios are crunching the numbers and determining that re-packaged double dips of bare-bones discs are selling better than expensive 2-disc behind-the-scenes documentary editions, there's no financial incentive to continue this practice.

The key point I take from the Digital Bits article is who exactly this is aimed at. It can only be either those who never bought the films to begin with, and who decide this is the way to own them, or the die-hardest of ME fans. No question, $800 is a hilariously misguided price.

A year or so ago, I spent a few hours on ebay and found the three LotR collectors' DVD boxes, unopened, for about $130. I didn't care about the DVDs at all - I just wanted the wonderful Weta statues, and I was happy to effectively pay about £30/$40 for each one. That ended my interest in LotR memorabilia, and they all look fantastic on my window sill. The Gollum book and Symphony DVD were an added bonus.

Well now apparently Jackson has confirmed to TheOneRing.net that he has nothing to do with this fiasco:

“In addition there was the added difficulty of Warners needing to access the original negative and scan the outtakes, bloopers, and additional sequences. They declined to do this, which made Michael Pellerin and my original plans for the comprehensive documentary we hoped to produce for this box set, impossible to produce. Neither Michael nor myself are therefore involved in this release. Maybe Warners will support our planned documentary for the 25th anniversary, because we would love to make it one day.”

I find this interesting given that Warner claims Jackson "personally selected" the bookshelf.

37 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Now down to $599.99.

Barny will soon buy it!

Pfff. At that price I've ordered two. And yes, the other is your Christmas present. You've been a good boy this year (well, better than usual).

28 minutes ago, Nick66 said:

Well now apparently Jackson has confirmed to TheOneRing.net that he has nothing to do with this fiasco:

I find this interesting given that Warner claims Jackson "personally selected" the bookshelf.

It's also intriguing because in that video Monaghan claimed that Jackson asked fans on social media what their favourite Hobbit scenes were in relation to this release. Someone noted that they follow him on social media and have no memory of him doing it. I have to say I don't either. And I was particularly suspicious that said fans would choose the barrel escape as their favourite scene... Smells like bullshit to me.

6 minutes ago, Barnald said:

It's also intriguing because in that video Monaghan claimed that Jackson asked fans on social media what their favourite Hobbit scenes were in relation to this release. Someone noted that they follow him on social media and have no memory of him doing it. I have to say I don't either. And I was particularly suspicious that said fans would choose the barrel escape as their favourite scene... Smells like bullshit to me.

Obviously they were referring to Jackson's extremely popular (but very secret) Myspace and AOL accounts.

Either way, Monaghan got punk'd.

15 minutes ago, Barnald said:

Yes,  I noticed that too and thought it sounded suspicious. 

And I just noticed that Jackson said 25th anniversary rather than 20th. That has to be a pisstake. The chances of physical media still being alive then are surely minimal. 2021 seems a stretch right now.

And you don't want to be morbid, but a lot can happen in ten years in that regard too (I'm referring to people involved here, not myself this time. Look at poor old Andrew Lesnie).

I don't want new scenes without new music anyway. And if Warner doesn't want to pay for producing documentaries, I'm sure they will be thrilled to pay for scoring sessions.

Well it would be quite an achievement to have the deleted (probably unfinished) scenes with music (unless tracked). I'll take them however I can, but of course I'd love to see them cleaned up.

I don't believe Jackson was suggesting they would be restored to the films, if that's what you're suggesting. Warner wouldn't even pay for additional recording sessions for the EE, so no way they would for this, even if the scenes were indeed restored to the films (unless there's some kind of change in management before then).

25 minutes ago, Barnald said:

And I just noticed that Jackson said 25th anniversary rather than 20th. That has to be a pisstake. The chances of physical media still being alive then are surely minimal. 2021 seems a stretch right now.

And you don't want to be morbid, but a lot can happen in ten years in that regard too (I'm referring to people involved here, not myself this time. Look at poor old Andrew Lesnie).

Nah, physical media will never really disappear. It'll just consist of expensive collectors editions that folk of a certain age will buy. I mean, the CD market doesn't exist any more but look at the Zeppelin reissues recently. It'll be niche but it'll exist! 

Late to the party, but I've got to admit that's a handsome looking set. Ridiculously overpriced though.

24 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Nah, physical media will never really disappear. It'll just consist of expensive collectors editions that folk of a certain age will buy. I mean, the CD market doesn't exist any more but look at the Zeppelin reissues recently. It'll be niche but it'll exist! 

As a chronic DVD/Blu-ray buyer I hope you are right.

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

Of course they would be presented as a bonus feature, PJ isn't making a third cut of each film.

I'm not so sure. He's mentioned doing something like that several times, in both the LOTR and Hobbit commentaries, I believe. Now, he sounded half joking most of the time, but even if he simply inserted Martin Freeman into the FOTR prologue, that would count as a third cut. So who knows.

I'd be happy simply getting a FOTR w/o the green tint.

As long as the original LOTR TE and EE's are available in whatever format and resolution a new cut is in, I guess Jackson can do whatever he wishes. He can stick Martin Freeman in the Fellowship prologue and do whatever other Lucas nonsense he's inclined to, as long as the original cuts available in the same quality and format.

That said, I hope Jackson just leaves well enough alone. To be honest, I don't trust his instincts that much anymore.  FOTR and TTT were masterpieces. ROTK was outstanding but Jackson's self-indulgent, over the top tendencies (that would later explode in The Hobbit) were starting to creep in by that point.  I think he could only detract from these films by screwing around with them too much.