The Return Of The King COMPLETE RECORDINGS 4CD set

sandman609

how can that make that statement then?

Because I wasn't talking about the actual music itself, but about the work behind it (both writing and releasing it).

I would even say, that Williams put as much effort, care and love in Geisha.

Yes, he sort of did. What's your point?

Geisha is the superior work?

You put LOTR as the supreme crafted work.

I dont think it is...

I dont think it is...

Sorry, I wasn't aware I was starting a competition with my remark.

I dont think it is...

Sorry, I wasn't aware I was starting a competition with my remark.

I wasnt thinking williams when i wrote that there were better crafted and cared scores. But geisha was the 1st example that came to my mind when i had to explain myslef. It was not intended as Williams-shore competition (again...)

It's like Return of the Jedi without Leia's theme - a slight difference, but an important one.

There is actually a small quote of Leia's Theme in Jedi - Obi-Wan's Revelation at 10:13 of that lengthy track.

Or maybe I missed the point. Off topic anyway.

It plays early in the film when, after having spend a night in a cave or some sort of shelter, Sam, Frodo and Andy Serkis set off again to Mordor. This piece restates the theme first played in Fellowship where Sam says that this is the farthest away from home he's ever been.
Followed by a nice variation on the Rohan theme, as far as I recall. That snippet was the first hint that Shore was going to revisit many of his themes in entirely new variations for the final score. And of course, for the SE we then also get a lovely horn statement of the Minas Tirith theme.
That is not the issue here, Stefan!
The japanwoman is not the issue here!

I dont think it is...

Don't be blind, of course it is.

How can he be blind by stating a preference?

This is very off topic, and incredibly stupid, but....at 2:05 of "The Hornburg" from TT, there is a line of notes played by a trumpet that sounds like Theme from Jurassic Park. I know that Shore wasn't copying nor trying to have a cameo music piece, it just happened to sound like that. Just pointing it out. :)

Carefully planned and structured thematic complexities. There's nothing left to chance.

There's also musical craft to be accounted for, the sheer writing itself.

LotR scores fall quite flat on their faces next to anything penned by Williams in that respect, simply because Shore isn't a great composer, but merely a decent film composer.

I'm so very thankful that LotR didn't turn out to be yet another John Williams clone.

If every composer would write exactly like Williams, the world would be a duller place.

And besides, Williams isn't the be all to end all either. Not nowadays anyway.

Geisha is not superior to the LOTR scores.

That's debatable.

I like some parts of LOTR scores, and I will probably purchase ROTK: CR (for some of its better material, missing from the OST), but the whole thing fails to pick my interest. An I still think 80 themes make it a bit stilted. But that's just my tastes, I guess.

Karol

This is very off topic, and incredibly stupid, but....at 2:05 of "The Hornburg" from TT, there is a line of notes played by a trumpet that sounds like Theme from Jurassic Park. I know that Shore wasn't copying nor trying to have a cameo music piece, it just happened to sound like that. Just pointing it out. :nod:

Not stupid at all. I noticed this fairly early on and it's a nice little (probably unintentional) thing to spot :)

I'm so very thankful that LotR didn't turn out to be yet another John Williams clone.

If every composer would write exactly like Williams, the world would be a duller place.

That's... sensible. Not used to that.

It is, and it's even partly right (ie the first two sentences, the last two are debatable). But it doesn't address the question of whether LotR is actually better.

Now there's a notion I can actually embrace! :)

Although I agree, that is hardly fact.

Well, when the composer can explain the thought process behind all "50 and then some" themes and motifs, then I would say "nothing was left to chance" is as close to a fact as you'll get.

You know what I meant! Of course John Williams isn't dull, but if all composers wrote in the same way, it has to be for the worse.

And although some whine about LotR's supposed "lacking substance", as ridiculous as that is, you'd be hard pressed to find a work similar in tone and shape.

Shore wrote music for at least one of the ROTK trailers. It probali will not be re;leased on the upcoming ROTK set, but the upcoming Doug Adams book avouit the music is supposed to have a rarities disc, so who knows

I meant if Leia's theme wasn't in Jedi.

It's also in a couple Endor tracks.

Yes, quite a bit actually. Very subtly sometimes, almost hidden.

I should have realized Mr. Buck would have known that. I even knew it but forgot until I listened to it again just recently. :D

I am stoked for the ROTK CR. So much music that we don't already have, or that is whacked WAY out of order. I've been finding that I listen to my LOTR scores more in the fall and winter, so this will be perfectly timed. :(