The Music Of The Lord Of The Rings Films - Doug Adams' Book & Rarities Archive

John Takis

16 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

If I haven't seen them before then I'm very interested!

A music video to part of the score (as in not just the end credits song)?

Can't remember. As I said I saw it once. In 2002. :)

Anyway, I'll see if I can dig the disc out of whatever box it's in an upload the video.

• 5 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Yeah, everything else is fine but they look weird. 

Exactly! If you can't trust Doug Adams' face then what can you trust I ask you.

• 1 month later...

Now we need also a release of this. So we can listen to the commentary separately while watching FotR.

I suppose something else for them to include on the fabled ultimate 4K Blu-ray (or whatever) set someday.

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

I'm in the process of building muscle mass, so I can hold any of them down, in case our agent doesn't manage to drug them in time.

I dunno, I hear Shore is pretty big on top these days, might take a couple of us to restrain him. He won't go down without a fight.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

The ROTK album was finalised in early October 2003, while writing and recording of the score continued well into November.

If the album went on sale in December, why did the album master have to be finalised two months before?

Does it really take that long to press enough CDs to get into stores?

41 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

I didn't realise there were so many potential endings to the score (and I presume the final film version wasn't written until later in rescoring)!

I can imagine it being difficult writing liners at such an early stage trying not to dig yourself into holes whilst providing meaningful commentary (which was a success if you ask me), and then having to deal with accusatory fans online throughout the development of the scores. But I would imagine as an experience it must be very rewarding to see the scoring/filmmaking process from the inside, and to contribute to the project as the official source of score analysis.

Oh, hugely rewarding! Sorry, hope it doesn't sound like I'm griping ... I certainly don't intend to!

I still fondly remember Doug playing me an excerpt of "Sammath Naur" back in May 2009. I made him promise over Guinness that this piece absolutely needed to be on the Rarities CD, otherwise I'd unleash an army of moles on his yard.

Or something. As I said, there was Guinness involved. ;)

On 11.3.2017 at 2:39 PM, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Foreign Guinness. Urgh. 

You really spotted the gist of that whole anecdote.

18 hours ago, Incanus said:

You really spotted the gist of that whole anecdote.

The idea of Guinness on the far side of the Atlantic is disconcerting. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I got the book last week, and just finished listening and reading along - it's really wonderful, it opened my eyes to so many nuances and connections I never would've noticed myself. However, the Rarities CD seems to be faulty. I haven't gotten a chance to play it in a regular CD player, but on my PC, I noticed the track order is pretty messed up. The order that's on my disc is this: 01 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 02 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 03 - 04 - 05 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 09. That's not healthy, and I guess it's gonna play the same in the CD player, so it won't get too many listens. No problem, I rip every album I buy after the first listen, I'll just use my rip, right?

Well, that didn't go well either. With everything I tried, it always got stuck on Track 11 and Track 18 when I skipped the first 11. I eventually got Track 18 (which is actually 04 - Filght to the Ford (Alternate)) when I tried to rip only it in Foobar, but Track 11 (which is 19 - Sammath Naur (Alternate)) makes the process bar pause, and the CD makes all kinds of crackly-rattly noises in the player, so I always took it out before it would be damaged or something. Eventually, I got it from internet sources. The weird thing is, both it and Flight to the Ford play perfectly with every media player I have, we're gonna see if the CD player has any problems with them tomorrow night.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a known semi-common issue? Or did the pressing plant have a bad day, AND it slipped by quality control, AND it ended up in my copy which I hesitated on buying for months because of the fluctuating but very high price?

I remember someone else reporting this problem with the Rarities CD on Doug Adams' blog a good while ago so this might be a wider issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Just a quick question for anybody who has read the book: How much does it expand on the information from the little booklets in the Complete Recordings?

• 10 months later...

Yeah I just looked today as I fancied a re-read but nope. Just the hardcover. 

I mean, I could just reread the physical book but I just want to keep that pristine on the shelf :D