The Music Of The Lord Of The Rings Films - Doug Adams' Book & Rarities Archive

John Takis

Agh, another "this is great music that has rid the world of evil" press release. It's not as bad as the CR ones (if you're aiming a set at those who love the music, you don't need quotes from the producer informing how effective the music was!), but still guilty of telling us nothing we didn't already know.

I have an irrational hatred of corporate cheese/bullshit/marketing crap...

But I'm definitely gonna look into getting to the London signing on the 27th. Never any question of not buying this.

The book will be available in the European Union on September 28 and in the U.S. and worldwide on October 5, 2010.

This sentence is so unclear, it looks like something straight out of a Concord press release! :)

The book will be available in the European Union on September 28 and in the U.S. and worldwide on October 5, 2010.

This sentence is so unclear, it looks like something straight out of a Concord press release! :)

Errm...what? The book is released in the EU on September 28th, everywhere else on October 5th. How could that possibly be misinterpreted?

This sentence is so unclear, it looks like something straight out of a Concord press release! :P

Errm...what? The book is released in the EU on September 28th, everywhere else on October 5th. How could that possibly be misinterpreted?

When I first read it I thought it was saying that it would be released on September 28th in the EU and US. I understand my misinterpretation now, but I don't see why the US can't be grouped into "worldwide." It's not as unclear as I originally thought, but it still could've been worded better.

But whatever, bring on the book! :)

I hadn't noticed this sentence from one of Doug's posts before:

entire compositions you've never before heard, familiar compositions with new structures and passages, unused songs, theatrical versus DVD alternates

theatrical versus DVD alternates.... Apart from Concerning Hobbits, I can't think of any major cues off the top of my head from the theatricals which were not included on the OST and rewritten for the EE.

I'm excited about both the book and the CD, but probably more the CD, The book (hopefully signed :)) should make a nice closing souvenir of the music.

I've actually never read the books that came with the CR's or the PDF's that were posted online afterwards. I'm interested in this book, but it looks like I've got some homework to do to justify it.

Anyone have an idea of the cost yet?

Apart from Concerning Hobbits, I can't think of any major cues off the top of my head from the theatricals which were not included on the OST and rewritten for the EE.

Journey to Rivendell. I hope it's on this set, I've been asking for this since 2001.

I want the book. The CD I don't particularly care about.

I may just be me, but i prefer unreleased music over a somewhat expanded rearranged version of the available written material from the CRs...

I may just be me, but i prefer unreleased music over a somewhat expanded rearranged version of the available written material from the CRs...

At 400+ pages, it should be a bit more than that.

Apart from Concerning Hobbits, I can't think of any major cues off the top of my head from the theatricals which were not included on the OST and rewritten for the EE.

Journey to Rivendell. I hope it's on this set, I've been asking for this since 2001.

Part of where the Army of the Dead attack at Minas Tirith is different too, notably the statement of the Gondor theme.

I really hope that the "concert version" of Breaking of the Fellowship from the fan credits on the EE DVD is included!

Are you talking about the film version of where the Ringwraiths are hit by the 'waves'?

No, the first prominent version of the Fellowship theme when the Hobbits and Aragorn leave Bree, right before the breakfast talk. Strong focus on horns and cellos. The cue was missing on the soundtrack, and the EE expanded the sequence to include stuff like the Midgewater Marches, and for the extended cue, Shore added bits of the Aragorn theme in counterpoint. Which is cool, but I loved the sparse, Bruckner-like original version.

That's available clean on one of the EE chapter index menus, if i recall correctly. Love that version

It is, somewhere on the 2nd extras disc I believe. Can't recall if it's complete/unlooped right now, but I think it is. I'd still prefer a official release in uncompressed CD format.

Actually, Doug said that there are several unused bits during the interview as well. Pieces and snippets that have no real beginning or end, but which are nevertheless interesting to hear.

What?

segments, inserts, revised parts. created to substitute part of another cue, but not recorded the entire cue. Maybe. So not 'alternate cue', just 'alternate segment'.

makes sense?

Yes, that is what I meant.

Yeah, I've got more than enough music from LOTR. I'm just interested in the book.

there can never be enough music from LOTR

Yeah, I've got more than enough music from LOTR. I'm just interested in the book.

there can never be enough music from LOTR

xyxthumbs.gif

Yeah, others here want everything possible from Star Wars. Let us have our fun with LotR.

I'm sure the book will be good, and be accessible to people like me who have no idea what a quaver is, but it's not my top priority.

Yeah, others here want everything possible from Star Wars. Let us have our fun with LotR.

I'm sure the book will be good, and be accessible to people like me who have no idea what a quaver is, but it's not my top priority.

it better had a glossary... or most of us are going to be lost...

Part of where the Army of the Dead attack at Minas Tirith is different too, notably the statement of the Gondor theme.

are you referring to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_bdELs52Kc ?

if so it can be found on one of the Battle for Middle-Earth games

I know that the portion was in the BFME games....I just want them in CD quality. But it's not a huge loss if they're not. Alternates like that Argonath alternate heard in an FSM podcast should take precedence.

Absolutely!

I wonder whether some of the music that Howard Shore put into the live score performance will be on there, like in the Isengard "Fellowshio reunited" scene at the beginning of ROTK, which basically has music all the way through.

if the rarities disc does not contain all the unreleased bits on the BFME games, could anybody send me their edits?

I dont know these scores by heart and i cant spot them for the most part (i listened to the files already...)

From a post on FSM

More specifically the price is

- U.S. is $59.95

- UK is £44.95

- Euro is €59.95

I find it a bit unfair the they just sell it with the same 59,95 price tag in the US and Europe. Anyone who wants to buy it in Europe pays about 18$/14 € more for it. I guess distributing it worldwide has some costs to it.

Not that I have any intention of not buying this because of the price tag. :lol:

I find it a bit unfair the they just sell it with the same 59,95 price tag in the US and Europe. Anyone who wants to buy it in Europe pays about 18$/14 € more for it. I guess distributing it worldwide has some costs to it.

Not that I have any intention of not buying this because of the price tag. :)

But the press is European (UK) that's why it is released on europe first...

Not that I have any intention of not buying this because of the price tag. :)

But the press is European (UK) that's why it is released on europe first...

Well I did not do my background research thoroughly enough on the press. :P Then I wonder the European price even more.

It's the same with anything - UK always gets charged more for no good reason beyond 'economic factors'.

Really? The UK is being too high with its taxes? Where have I heard that story before...

It's the same with anything - UK always gets charged more for no good reason beyond 'economic factors'.

Really? The UK is being too high with its taxes? Where have I heard that story before...

The Phantom Menace?

From the FAQ on Doug's blog.

PS - UK and Europe are slightly higher due to the publisher's shipping expenses. The warehouse is in New York, so everything comes out of there.

From the FAQ on Doug's blog.

PS - UK and Europe are slightly higher due to the publisher's shipping expenses. The warehouse is in New York, so everything comes out of there.

So they are shipping from US. That explains the increase in the European price. Oh well at least we get it on the 28th of September.

• 2 weeks later...

Tadaaaaaa ...!

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RARITIES ARCHIVE

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

01 Prologue: One Ring to Rule Them All (Alternate)

02 The Shire/The Hobbits (Mock-up)

03 Out From Bree (Theatrical Version & Alternate)

04 Flight to the Ford (Alternate)

05 Moria (Mock-up)

06 The Fighting Uruk-hai (Alternate)

07 The Argonath (Alternate)

THE TWO TOWERS

08 Gwenwin in în (“Arwen’s Song” Alternate/Mock-up)

09 Arwen’s Song (Complete)

10 Emyn Muil (Alternate)

11 The Rohan Fanfare (Mock-up)

12 The Eaves of Fangorn (Alternate)

13 The Ent Theme (Mock-up)

THE RETURN OF THE KING

14 The Return of the King Trailer

15 The Gondor Theme (Mock-up)

16 The Muster of Rohan (Alternate)

17 The Siege of Gondor (Alternate)

18 Shieldmaiden of Rohan (Theatrical Version)

19 Sammath Naur (Alternate)

20 Frodo’s Song (“Into the West” Alternate/Mock-up)

21 Elanor (Alternate)

HOWARD SHORE & DOUG ADAMS

22 In Conversation (Part 1)

23 In Conversation (Part 2)

www.musicoflotr.com

All in all, it was enough raw audio to keep me in a listening room for a few hundred hours or so.

It'd be nice if buying this set procured a key to an online repository to enjoy those few hundred hours of music as well...