The Music Of The Lord Of The Rings Films - Doug Adams' Book & Rarities Archive

John Takis

01 Prologue: One Ring to Rule Them All (Alternate)

I hope it's not "The Prophecy", because else it will be a lost of space on the cd. But hopefully, it's not !

It's not.

20 Frodo's Song ("Into the West" Alternate/Mock-up)

Is that Use Well The Day ?

Good question

Tadaaaaaa ...!

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RARITIES ARCHIVE

That's a pretty nice tracklist. I notice the Shieldmaiden of Rohan theatrical alternate in there, nice one. I haven't seen the theatrical cut of that scene since 2003 so maybe there are more differences than just the heroic Gondor theme.

Two Towers looks a bit dull to be honest, with half the cues just being mockups. But then there wasn't anything amazing I was expecting from the middle film anwyay.

RotK trailer - hell yes!

Use Well the Days - I hope not. I may be alone here, but I thought that song was shit.

Hmm, theatrical version of 'Shieldmaiden'. How much am I willing to pay to make my perfect ROTK edit? Of course, it wouldn't be perfect, but close enough.

'Sammath Naur', was that actually a title? Or are they just being funny with 'The Crack of Doom'?

The amazing Cirith Ungol fanfare is still demoted to a video game source, but AFAIK it's the only difference in the cue. I guess it just couldn't be included tidily.

I also just remembered the amazing alternate Breaking of the Fellowship that appeared over the FotR fan credits. That would've been a fantastic inclusion as the DVD is compressed even worse than the video game tracks are (I'm listening now, this sounds 96k max). I wonder if the blu-ray will have better audio for the credits?

The amazing Cirith Ungol fanfare is still demoted to a video game source, but AFAIK it's the only difference in the cue. I guess it just couldn't be included tidily.

Same with the theatrical version of the ride out from Minas Tirith after the last debate. That would cap my edit off.

If Doug & Howard don't talk over them like composer commentaries tend to do, that would be the perfect substitute :)

To be fair, the BFME extractions are good, they're just missing the proper 'oomph' you get from a CD. At least we're not dealing with sfx.

I hope it's not "The Prophecy", because else it will be a lost of space on the cd. But hopefully, it's not !

It's not.

I remember hearing that it's an extended "Prophecy".

Hmm, theatrical version of 'Shieldmaiden'. How much am I willing to pay to make my perfect ROTK edit? Of course, it wouldn't be perfect, but close enough.

'Sammath Naur', was that actually a title? Or are they just being funny with 'The Crack of Doom'?

That's the alternate Destruction of Mordor, part of which you hear on the OST.

I find it very odd, not to say provocative, to include a very lengthy track like Shieldmaiden of Rohan, to present a 15 seconds alternate.

Yes for RotK trailer music! I didn't expect that to be included. And of course I'm excited for all the other music, but this is the only non-mock up I'm familiar with.

I am more than satisfied with the selection on the Rarities disc. Looks like a good batch of material that both fills some of the gaps of theatrical versions and documents the development of the music and I am sure offers some brilliant surprises. I have been very happy with the CRs but I can always go for more LotR music. Hearing how this album will play on its own is going to be interesting. Also it is nice to know Doug discusses the Rarities in the last part of his book as well.

Oh, it's not! Trust me, you'll be very glad of its inclusion!

20 Frodo’s Song (“Into the West” Alternate/Mock-up)

Is that Use Well The Days ?

Nope! Something completely different.

It'd be nice if buying this set procured a key to an online repository to enjoy those few hundred hours of music as well...

Amen to that !

Try not to romanticize that "few hundred hours" overly much. I've spent time at Doug's studio, and you can be confident that he has done a fantastic job of culling all the "Wow!" moments; the moments that truly illuminate the score and creative process. As for the rest ... well, minutiae can be of limited interest, but never confuse it with -- as Sam would put it -- "the things that really matter."

I also want to urge skeptics not to sell the mock-ups short. Doug picked out the most interesting and significant ones, and they don't disrupt the listening experience at all in my opinion. Quite the contrary.

richuk: I suppose you may wind up thinking the TTT passage is the "least amazing," but I don't think you'll find it "dull!" ;)

When the book and CD are released, and you've had a chance to hear the disc and read Doug's notes, you will understand the logic of coming up with new titles for certain tracks.

I also just remembered the amazing alternate Breaking of the Fellowship that appeared over the FotR fan credits. That would've been a fantastic inclusion as the DVD is compressed even worse than the video game tracks are (I'm listening now, this sounds 96k max). I wonder if the blu-ray will have better audio for the credits?

It's just an assumption, but I imagine the Blu-ray audio will be uncompressed.

Finally ... I actually have quite a soft spot for "Use Well The Days." It's a lovely melody, and the lyrics are straight out of Tolkien!

what is use well the days? ;)

Use Well the Days is initial version of the song Shore wrote for the end credits of RotK. It was before he composed Into the West. Another part of the creative process when the song was still evolving. Annie Lennox recorded it and it was on the DVD that came with the Collector's Edition of the RotK soundtrack album as a bonus track.

Here is all the info on the bonus disc.

Yes for RotK trailer music! I didn't expect that to be included.

But no Requiem for a Tower trailer music?! What a gyp! ;)

Only kidding of course...

I think it's a chilling piece.

But I still think Into The West is far more appropriate for the ending of ROTK - and I don't think Use Well The Days would have won the Academy Award.

Hmm, it's disappointing to hear of what's missing. Also, no alternate "Samwise the Brave" with the Fellowship theme? You can hear a bit of that on the music feature of the TTT EE. I'll reserve judgment until I hear the disc, though. Possibly it's still there in the "conversations" tracks or something. I'm still really looking forward to this book and disc!

That alternate "Samwise the Brave" is, if I'm not mistaken, a HUGE cue with only that one tiny difference. Interesting in context, but you can hear it on the EE DVD. Not trying to be callous -- if you want it, you want it -- but that's almost certainly why it didn't make the cut.

Ah, okay. I wasn't sure if only the excerpt heard on the DVD was different or if it was part of a larger, alternate cue. Again... really looking forward to the Rarities Archive nonetheless.

I think it's a chilling piece.

But I still think Into The West is far more appropriate for the ending of ROTK - and I don't think Use Well The Days would have won the Academy Award.

Yes it would. It was 'let's give ROTK 13 oscars day'.

Damn.. I odnt really know much about these socres, im missing alot of alternates from different sources...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Before I preorder it, does anybody know if Barnes and Nobles will be selling signed copies online after the signing on October 7th, similar to what the British bookstore is doing right now?

Now that I've actually heard the whole rarities disc, I can safely say that a lot of people will find more than one new favourite.

Like I said to Doug already, I think, personally, some of it shows a door to a whole other level of creativity. The Moria mock-up for instance, or the Arwen's song alternate. On another level, it is interesting to see how the film was originally cut, at least long enough so that a full score was recorded.

But really, Sammath Naur is pure thematic and choral brilliance. I cannot say I have heard every film score out there, but I know that is has to be the greatest choral splendor *I* have ever heard - and that includes the rest of Lord of the Rings.

The little bit of it that is heard in "The End Of All Things" on the OST doesn't do it nearly enough justice. Think bigger, better and longer.

The book itself is gorgeous with all the new pencil drawings, and the tons of score excerpts and manuscripts. For me, this is the best single film score item I've ever seen.

I hope so very much it does well, so more of the likes can be given green light.

PS: Be polite, Doug is watching you ;)

I had the book in my hands last Tuesday, but only briefly; not long enough to really see what's in it, but long enough to see that there's a LOT of it. Since we couldn't yet buy the book (and have it signed in the process), I'll probably just wait for Christmas to get my copy.

Wait, you couldn't get it yet and couldn't get it autographed, yet you were at an autograph session of the book?

It was an autograph session by Shore accompanied by Doug Adams and Rick Porras (and also Badelt). Doug had a few books there for looking at, but since there was a lengthy queue, there wasn't really time to browse through it. And since it isn't officially released yet, they were not allowed to sell them.

In lieu of the actual book, I had Doug sign my "light version" (the ROTK:CR booklet). And no, I didn't get a Badelt autograph. :lol: